Select series 2B (dominance/certified equivalent)

ElijahCraigHyde

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Jarrah
I realise it might be kind of too soon to discuss while we still get through series 2A as in prestige however someone has to get the ball rolling sooner or later and feel free to discuss any speculation or whispers while we're at it!

My best guess would be we might see Footy's Finest get another production run like we saw Influential's last year

Is it too soon to get another Honours type series? Select are really in an interesting spot with Captain signatures, Hall of Fame updates and premiership commemoratives all exhausted as series two inclusions for the foreseeable future and patches a natural part of the Supremacy sets moving forward given the default card stock being 130pt

Interesting times

I'll make a early stab in the dark...
Guernsey patch signatures, just like 16'/17' certified.
They were fantastic and it's been a long enough waiting period now.
A pretty good stab as that's what I've been thinking too tbh - just a matter of whether they'd keep the same designs line they did with the captain cards or create new ones all together

I reckon maybe tiered dps similiar to the green, blue and reds......and maybe dual signature cards from each team with past and present .

And for gods sake give us a limited and numbered gamebreaker hahahahbaha

I reckon maybe tiered dps similiar to the green, blue and reds......and maybe dual signature cards from each team with past and present .

Could not agree more with the numbered game breakers lol but perhaps they could well replace the premiership cards box hit???!

I’d love to see the current DPS format /100 then top 10 DPS /75 or something similar

That’s very interesting. Also makes sense too as Brilliance 2 would basically get them 12 months worth of releases..
Footy Stars - March
Prestige - May
Series 2 - July
Supremacy - September
Brilliance - November

I do wonder if it’s a bit of overkill though?

COVID restrictions and regs may kill chances of game-worn jersey cards, which was the case in the NBA (for a period of time).

I like the idea of more product spread over the entire year.
Two releases that cover the upcoming season (to include premiership and brownlow predictors), but then have a release every quarter thereafter to keep the momentum going.

I heard that they are releasing a brilliance 2 as well as the supremacy 2
Got to question the need of select to have both supremacy & brilliance to end 2021.
Would of thought Supremacy is the high-end/ stand alone release that nicely ends the year.

Got to question the need of select to have both supremacy & brilliance to end 2021.
Would of thought Supremacy is the high-end/ stand alone release that nicely ends the year.

dusty brilliance 2 years in a row surely? 😂 Seems to be the theme for Richmond fans.. I don’t envy the tiger collector

COVID restrictions and regs may kill chances of game-worn jersey cards, which was the case in the NBA (for a period of time).

I like the idea of more product spread over the entire year.
Two releases that cover the upcoming season (to include premiership and brownlow predictors), but then have a release every quarter thereafter to keep the momentum going.

The main issue for the NBA was Panini couldnt hold the Rookie Photo Shoot all in one place because of Covid - which is where they get the players to throw on 1000 jerseys for use in product over the next few years.

So what they did was they used was store bought/retail jerseys and that's why none of this years rookie class cards have player worn patches....its just some random off the shelf jersey.

For the AFL, Select would have had the jerseys they are using saved up from the past year or so.......which means they wont be impacted by Covid - only signing sessions may be difficult but they would just ship the cards to the player or manager and have them return them.

That’s very interesting. Also makes sense too as Brilliance 2 would basically get them 12 months worth of releases..
Footy Stars - March
Prestige - May
Series 2 - July
Supremacy - September
Brilliance - November

Not necessarily an overkill -gives collectors time to plan their collection goals and works well of cards aren't too complicated to obtain

Footy Stars - March
Prestige - May
Series 2 - July
Supremacy - September
Brilliance - November

Can certainly see this writing on the wall (if not this year then next). And if so, I think this is me done. Been collecting Select since 93 (team collector - Saints). The last few years have pushed the limit in terms of quantity - particularly the ad nauseum production of different 'versions' of the same card (Green, orange, blue etc). I have loved the increase in quality and genuinely applaud Select for that (Brilliance / Supremacy etc). They raised the bar. But a simultaneous increase in quantity is just too much for me.

FWIW, I think my collecting goals might simply move to chasing the missing cards from previous years, and no longer trying to keep up. It is simply not possible to collect complete team sets per year anymore, and that was my interest. I will still finish out the year (a full Supremacy 1 & 2 set will look amazing). But 5 sets a year? 3 was pushing it IMO. Certainly works in odd years with 1 high end release (see 2019). But it stops being 'high end' or desirable if you do it multiple times a year every year. I don't begrudge Select the $$. But it does feel like they might be sacrificing short term profits for longer term viability.

I am also increasingly concerned about cards with low numbers (considered 'high-end') actually holding much value medium-long term (simply because they have numbers on the back). Don't get me wrong, I don't collect for profit. But I also don't want a card I pay $200 for tomorrow to be $20 seven years down the road. Just going through recent years for the Saints and looking at / 500 cards (and not including ad hoc hilites or rising stars etc):

YearNumbered 20 - 50Numbered 51 - 100Numbered 101 - 200Numbered 201 - 500

And those 2021 numbers are without 3 more 'high end' sets. Per team, we could realistically see more 2021 cards numbered under 100 then Select used to produce per team for the entire year.

2019 you can justify 31 cards numbered under 100 because of Supremacy. This will be iconic. But IMO, that is not a model that can be repeated year in and year out.

Looking through my collection, 2018 really seems to be the year when this became all about $$. 2 sets of brownlow predictors (x8), 4 versions of the burst cards and a xmas set of cards that just added some foil around the edges of the regular set. The introduction of Prestige in 2020 really seems to emphasise that the business model has become to produce 20+ cards numbered under 100 a year and that will satisfy demand. Doesn't matter is if it is the same card over and over. Just change up the colors, whack increasingly limited numbers on it to make it rare, and hope collectors don't notice that they now own page after page of the same card just in different colors. Its lazy and looks crap.

For my 2 cents, I also don't see how this quantity of cards numbered under 100 hold any value long term. Is it really worth making a Shane Savage platinum brownlow predictor or a Seb Ross gold showstopper numbered under 50? Should this not be reserved for the players who are actually good? These are not iconic players being put on big cards anymore (unless you were lucky enough to be a Tigers supporter where this increase has coincided with premierships and brownlows). There are also pretty much no signatures among the /100 cards now too. How many /50 Seb Ross cards can his mum actually buy? How do this many low numbered cards hold their value among such a small community in such a small country??

Quantity wise, I also now own more Select cards from 2018 - 2021, then I do from 1993-2018. And 2021 is not even half done. 2019 I was excited for Supremacy. Now I am in June wondering how anyone can justify Supremacy, Brilliance and series 2 across the next 5 months. If team collectors start just doing one or two sets a year, the price of a /100 card in Footy Stars is going to come screaming in very very fast. What happens when the the 'investors' and 'flippers' begin to thin out because collectors are spread across too many sets and the profits just aren't there? Who does Select actually sell to? How many people are actually on forums like this, or at card shows or visiting stores? Its a pretty damn small world. Its easy to say Select only care about the initial sale, and not resale. But demand will ultimately be determined by the number of serious collectors who remain in the game, and not the middle men currently buying their product.

Perhaps I might revisit when the everyday collectors have begun to look elsewhere and bottom falls out of the market in 5-10 years time. But the quantity of cards produced per team per year by Select has just killed it for me.

I wish those of you finishing this year and going beyond good luck - and more importantly deep pockets.

Last edited:
I totally agree @Saints man, and very well put, sounds like my story. Collector since 94 and just a team collector (Hawks). My opinion is 3 releases a year is spot on for me. I would prefer to see Footy Stars, Series 2, then either Prestige, Brilliance or Supremacy. I love the high end stuff, but really don't want it over done. So Supremacy every 3 years, Brilliance every 3 years, and Prestige as a nice gap filler every other year. That way the ideas and low numbered cards don't get over produced and it all stays fresh. I am struggling to keep up with Hawks cards, to the point where I just don't have the money and have resigned to the fact some I might just never have.

Back
Top Bottom