Rumour: Webber a Laker..

Funkadelic

On Again, Off Again..
Real Name
Travis
eBay User
the_funkadelic
I have no idea why they would want Webber, he doesn't play D..

Lakers contact Webber, could replace Bynum in middle
Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 9:26 am EST

With Andrew Bynum out eight weeks with a knee injury, the Los Angeles Lakers find themselves seraching for a solution to the giant hole in the middle of their lineup.

Kwame Brown has started 178 games in his seven-year career, and newly anointed backup Ronny Turiaf is more of a power forward. The Los Angeles Times reported Chris Mihm is at least two weeks from returning, if not longer, from a sore right Achilles tendon.

Thus, the Lakers are sifting through the free-agent bin and coming up with such names as Chris Webber, P.J. Brown and DJ Mbenga.The Lakers were intrigued by Webber a year ago and have been in contact with his representatives. They think he fits the mold of a triangle-offense player -- good passer, good jump shot -- but are concerned about his physical condition.

Source: Los Angeles Times

he can't literally move on defense, i mean, literally.

but he could be a force... because at this right moment, he's much better than Kwame or Ronny T.

he can't literally move on defense, i mean, literally.

but he could be a force... because at this right moment, he's much better than Kwame or Ronny T.

A blind, deaf, armless, legless drunk catepillar would be better than Kwame :woot:

Webber...could be good for 20mins a night...until he complains about his role or lack there of and causes locker room havoc. Don;t pretend that won;t happen!

ahaha Ben, you are hilarious.. :p

I think Webber will have no position to complain like he used to....Considering his age and his role with Pistons.. but yes, just like you said, very good for 20mins a night, 10-15 points a game.. he's natural born scorer.. I like him since his fab 5 Michigan days..

A blind, deaf, armless, legless drunk catepillar would be better than Kwame :woot:

Webber...could be good for 20mins a night...until he complains about his role or lack there of and causes locker room havoc. Don;t pretend that won;t happen!

I'm with you Linn, I have liked C-Webb since his Fab 5 days and I personally think that he would be good for the Lakers, if he stays injury free which is highly unlikely considering his age.

I read this, this morning too. Very strange IMO why they would want to take him on board.

I mean, they're talking about Mihm being ready in 2 weeks. Turiaf and Kwame are currently fit, and playing.

Bynum is out 8 weeks.

So in 2 weeks, they'll have 3 big men (not including say Odom, and who else they have), then in 8 weeks, they'll have 4. And they're talking about bringing in another right now.

What will happen in 10 weeks time? They'll waive him?

Is Mbenga available too? I thought he was with GSW's?

PJ might be a better option rather than Webber.

Im pretty sure he got waived just before the deadline where non-guaranteed contracts become guaranteed.

Correct you are.

And Scotty, I'm with you, PJ Brown would be a better fit cause if you're going to hold on to him and have him as a 5th big man, then he's less likely to cause a stir. Plus he's better defensively.

some of you are under rating kwame, and still comparing him to how he was when he was drafted.. webber wouldnt fit there, he'd fit back in sac town though :p

honestly though, cwebb looked a bit slow in detroit, but who doesnt over there.. they're a sit and wait team, clearly a larry brown product.. not that its necessarily a bad thing..

webber will be a 7 and 5 player if given minutes in LA, but he should goto the clips/kings/suns/pacers

PS .. PJ Brown is retired.. otherwise he'd be a Sun.. so shhh

Edit: Its funny if he goes to the Lakers, in 2002/2003 P. Jax said Webber stagnates the Kings offense and is their weakest link.. and that he's a chronic pot smoker so "we don't take him seriously".. whats the change of tone?

Underrated?? as a stater.. he made 3/8FG. 2/4FT. 7 turnovers..6 rebounds. yes.. 13 rebounds less than 6'7" Odom in the same game..
1 less than Kobe, Ariza even got 6 rebounds playing 7 minutes less than Brown... I don't know how can I ever discount him as a bad player.

4 phoenix suns players (only 7 played) shoot better than 50%, entire team shot 51.9%.. and Nash got 20 assists.. still Suns made 3 pointers less than Lakers did.. it showed how many inside/paint scoring was made today..

I think all No 1 picked in last 5 years played better than him.. or last 10 years if they ever get to start...

I am not sure whether you watched Detroit games at all.. C-Webb last 6 games against Cleveland (4-2) he had 11.5ppg, 5.6rpg while playing less than 30 minutes a game (OT game).. as low as 19 minutes..

some of you are under rating kwame, and still comparing him to how he was when he was drafted.. webber wouldnt fit there, he'd fit back in sac town though :p

honestly though, cwebb looked a bit slow in detroit, but who doesnt over there.. they're a sit and wait team, clearly a larry brown product.. not that its necessarily a bad thing..

I think I'd rather Kwame over C-Webb.

At least Kwame still has room for improvement, I think we've all seen what C-Webb had, and I'm sure he's on the down-hill side of his career by now.

I think I'd rather Kwame over C-Webb.

At least Kwame still has room for improvement, I think we've all seen what C-Webb had, and I'm sure he's on the down-hill side of his career by now.

Well, i would buy out Kwame and not sign C-Webb if I am Lakers GM..
they both are not effective. but paying Kwame is waste of money.. even if Lakers decide not to sign C-Webb..(even with veteran salary, C-Webb will not cost 750k for the rest of this season...so, money wise, i would not mind)

when your starting center can't score over 10ppg, and let opponents scored over 50%FG.. I honestly think Kwame has no room for improvement, he's injury prone.. not hard working and given Bynum's double double work rate..
9 million this season salary is the worst thing Lakers are spending IMO.

You can't put all that blame (10ppg and allowing 50% FG) on Kwame. He's not the only guy defending.

Diop & Dampier don't score 10ppg, and I'm sure they've given up 50% fg before. Especially V Suns!

Nope, Not dare to blame him..:p
They just handed their division lead to Phoenix yesterday. To be honest, I like Suns better than Lakers.. but when you lose double double Bynum who's shooting 63%+FG and 69%+FT, you need to fill the void that's been left..

Diop and Dampier are solid centers for Mavs. they know their roles and they don't need to score 10ppg as Terry, Dirk, Howard can score 60 points any night..

As an NBA Starting Center, just please do not exceed TOs over your total rebounds.. no matter how many minutes you played..

Brown is the person who cried like a chick when MJ motivated him in his training camp.. I definitely think Wizards made the best deal in century trading him for All-around Caron Butler anyway..

A few things I read past a couple of days since he returned to starting lineup..

In a Sports Illustrated poll of 242 NBA players, Kwame Brown received the most votes for the question, "Which player gets the least out of the most talent?" Brown received 17% of the votes, followed by Clippers forward Tim Thomas (10%), New York center Eddy Curry (7%), New Jersey guard-forward Vince Carter (6%) and Memphis center Darko Milicic (5%).

A few words from CNNSI, Phil Jackson and Coaches.

Brown, 25, is easily the Lakers' biggest enigma. At 6-foot-11, 270 pounds, the No. 1 overall pick of the 2001 NBA draft has all the physical tools to be a dominating force. But he is still stuck in first gear, and the jury's still out on whether the coaching staff will ever be able to push him into second and beyond.

The logical solution would be to pair him up with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, who has helped mold Bynum into a solid NBA starter three years removed from playing in high school.

"That's difficult because Kwame is a peculiar case," Abdul-Jabbar says. "I would leave that to Phil to explain how peculiar Kwame is. He's not a bad guy; it's just very hard to get through to him and I haven't done it yet."

So what's so peculiar about Brown?

"I call him a knucklehead once in a while," Jackson says. "Kwame has to be led to water and then forced to drink. [Assistant coach] Brian [Shaw] and I have always said there are some peculiarities about his game. For example, when he drives left, Kwame will finish right-handed, but he'll always pause or fake and wait for the defensive player to catch up to him. We can't get it through his head to just take that move because you're going to beat the guy anyway. You might get fouled, but Kwame does not enjoy foul situations and making a team pay because his free throw percentage is below 50 percent."

During the Lakers' loss to the Suns, Brown was booed loudly by the home crowd every time he touched the ball after continuing to miss dunks and layups and mishandle simple post passes. While Jackson kept Brown in the game, hoping he'd work through his problems, he never did. Brown quickly left the locker room after the game without talking to the media.

You can't put all that blame (10ppg and allowing 50% FG) on Kwame. He's not the only guy defending.

Diop & Dampier don't score 10ppg, and I'm sure they've given up 50% fg before. Especially V Suns!

Looks like Webber won't be a Laker...

Hoping to compensate for the absence of Bynum and Mihm, the Lakers signed free-agent center DJ Mbenga to a 10-day contract. The 7-footer from the Congo was released by Golden State on Jan. 6.

They'll probably look at signing someone else, after SF Trevor Ariza broke his foot (out 8 weeks).

Back
Top Bottom