Rookie Class 05/06....Which player would you choose?

Which Rookie do you think is a good investment?

• Charlie Villanueva

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Raymond Felton

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Channing Frye

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Gerald Green

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Ryan Gomes

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Sean May

• Danny Granger

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Deron Williams

• Andrew Bynum

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other? - Discuss

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Matt26

OZCT Supporter
Real Name
Matt
Every year there are many collectors out there buying up rookie cards of players who they believe may become the next big thing.

I thought I would ask the question from a purely from an investment point of view, which player from this years Rookie Class would you consider a good investment in the short term, say 2-3 years?

Would you choose someone like Raymond Felton or Channing Frye? Both who have had decent rookie years? Would you choose Charlie Villanueva who has really stepped up since Chris Bosh sustained his injury? Or would you choose someone like Gerald Green or Andrew Bynum? i.e a young player who doesnt get much playing time?

I would love to hear everyone's thoughts?

Cheers
Matt

* I've left out Chris Paul and Andrew Bogut out of this poll purely from a point of view that there cards are the most expensive of the rookie class this year.

Short term is a pretty tough question. I mean, I collect Channing Frye and thats because I believe he will be a star in the long term, eventually (and hopefully) being compared to the likes of D-Rob, Ewing & Olajuwon. He still has a huge amount of growth to achieve, but he has shown some very promising and consistent signs in his rookie year.

The other players have all shown signs of what they are capable, even though it isn't at such a consistent level as CP3 or Frye. McCants will probably be a quick riser, and Charlie V has got a huge chance of shining now that Bosh is out. Tough one mate.

Rashad is a pure scorer, but other than that we havent seen him do much else.

Felton i think is a great investment, a scorer who looks to have the potential for a great all round point guard game. id compare him to b-diddy except wth greater emphasis on scoring.

Frye i havent paid much attention to...he needs to build up his muscle in the off season and practice his jumper, i dont think new york want to let him go for anything though, he could be the cornerstone of the franchise...maybe not like ewing but solid all the same.

Charlie V is the other good big man prospect. can score (48pts aint bad in your rookie season) has huge hops, very athletic, can become a great rebounder (i think he led the nation in rebounding in college).

out of those i would probably pick felton...i see big things for him if he gets out of charlotte and joins a contender.

Short term I'm thinking it has to be Charlie Villanueva purely on the way he has played with such maturity in his rookie year. He has shown so much promise. He totally dominated the Rooks at the Rook/Soph game at the All-Star weekend.
Ryan Gomes is a very bad investment, along with Gerald Green, their cards aren't worth crap, LOL! so give them all to me LMAO!
Seriously though, I think with more game time, Gomes and Green could fast become 2 of the next best things.

i thought both williams, deron and marvin had had very subpar seasons. on losing ballclubs they should have made more of an impact.

Gerald Green, I mean his name is Green and he plays for the Celtics ;)
The few times I've seen him play he's been fairly good. He just needs more time to grow (Yea, I've heard that before..)

i know i collect sean may so this could sound biased, but i think he is a smokey cause he has only played 23 games this season. Played the first 23 games and then got injured and wasn't doing to bad either. May was the NCAA final four MVP. So he does have ability.

Danny Granger will be a good investment. his a odom type player that can shoot 3 and be a strong rebounder wid a tendency to find the open man.

Danny Granger, Sean May and Deron Williams to me will be the best out of these.

Sean May is such a great big man, before his injury he was posting 12 and 6 nightly,the kid has got it all. Danny Granger, anyone smell a versatile Shawn Marion type player?

Deron Williams.. must i even explain..

Good luck Matt!

Get all those names, place them in a hat and draw 3 names and collect those guys.

I've been trying for 10 yrs to pick who will do well in the long term, and there's no guarantees on any player. Most of the time there's a sleeper in the crop too who emerges yrs later. From this yrs it could be Martel Webster, but it could easily be somebody else.

So many factors like personal circumstances, injuires, trades, team mates, the ability to handle success and failure, and the list goes on and on.

Good luck with your choice, but Felton looks like the goods to me - Nash pt 2

Went with Charlie V, as he and Bosh hopefully will develop into an awesome duo, and lead Toronto back to playoffs.

Also think Frye will become a solid big man, but his hobby love will more than likely be similar to Ewings.

Also the Celts are stocked on young potential. Kendrick Perkins (03/04), Al Jefferson & Delonte West (both from 04/05), and Green & Gomes (both from 05/06). If the Celts can win a lot of games, all are in positions to take off.

Back
Top Bottom