Refurbished computers

GarnettFan4Life

Administrator
Real Name
Matt
COMC User
GarnettFan4Life
Gotta get a new desktop, what are your experiences with refurbished comps? Like I'm looking for say a 17-19in monitor, 80-160gb HDD, 2g ram, whatever average processor etc etc so there's some on eBay for 199-299 delivered seller refurbished otherwise it's 360-499 at officeworks for similar new.

Opinions suggestions welcome

Hey Matt, spend the extra $ and go new, buying refurbished off ebay can come with all sorts of problems such as pirated operating systems, no software discs or proof that the software belongs to the computer, I would buy refurbished only through a business with a shopfront personally. :thumbsup:

I'm sure if you request that info first they would provide it if they have it?? If they don't, move on to one that does!!

My understanding is that most of these refurbished PC's you find around are 'ex-corporate' machines from places like call centre's. In which case, they usually have 'Bulk' software licensing so it should get a new OP license when they refurb it???

Or I am wrong!

Butu I looked into some of these a fair while ago (although they were a bit more expensive than $299) and they were telling me this info!

Yeah it says ex-lease and there's a decent one for our needs for $189 + 35 for wireless so may be worth a go, can't afford to fork out 400 atm really. Have the ipad and laptop just need one as a home computer station. I'll look into software I think. I have a multi licence Office and Norton ready to go anyway so I could always use my own stuff

It would be only windows that you would need to worry about!

With Office, they don't usually advertise it... but if you have a 'full version' meaning you have the disc (not just a product key) you are allowed to install it on 1 x Desktop and 1 x Laptop. In some instances it will not allow you to register it, but just give Microsoft a call and they will reactivate the product key for use on the laptop or desktop!!

You will find that no one will sell a PC without an operating system, so it should have windows at least!

Hey Matt..... the ones you can get from OfficeWorks such as "eMachines" are complete rubbish; heard a lt of bad things about eMachines.

It sounds like you're looking for a pretty basic PC and don't need anything flash. Have you considered buying the parts and putting one together from the parts? If you don't know how to do it yourself, I'm sure a friend could help you or you could hire a tech to do it for you. It's really quite easy though.

It's probably an old thread, but I just wanted to say that you should ask the question of why is it refurbished, and why was it upgraded/replaced to become an old and refurbished one.

They might be cheap, but at what cost is it really cheap?

You can snag a reasonably cheap/nice PC/laptop for a few hundred, and at least they'll come with a Warranty.

and the other issue is (like anything 2nd hand) you have no idea of how much use or abuse it has had. My work supplied laptop is rolled over every 3 years and is sold ex-lease, now I would never recommend to anyone to purchase mine at the end of the 3 years, firstly it's 3 years old and it gets used all day every day, so cops a fair hammering.

Back
Top Bottom