Our group BGS submission - the grades are in with no horror stories

Yeah I was wondering what that meant. Maybe they damaged a few of yours too...

I reckon the grader is a Jordan fan hence the low Payton grades :lol:

I expected all of those grades i got back which is good as i'll know what to look for next time i send something in. I pretty much just wanted all my Payton's slabbed no matter the outcome just for protection since most 90's cards are fairly condition sensitive and i don't want them degrading any more. There's a few pop1's in there which is pretty cool too :kick:

Now i just need to hunt down a DJ Topps Chrome base refractor and X fractor in mint condition for the 9.5 master :D

Who else got the grades they thought they'd get when checking them before grading?

I reckon the grader is a Jordan fan hence the low Payton grades :lol:

I expected all of those grades i got back which is good as i'll know what to look for next time i send something in. I pretty much just wanted all my Payton's slabbed no matter the outcome just for protection since most 90's cards are fairly condition sensitive and i don't want them degrading any more. There's a few pop1's in there which is pretty cool too :kick:

Now i just need to hunt down a DJ Topps Chrome base refractor and X fractor in mint condition for the 9.5 master =D>

Who else got the grades they thought they'd get when checking them before grading?

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you mate. Just wanted them slabbed up. I've never even owned a BGS graded card let alone sent any in. I was pretty happy with the 9's I got on the PMG and Game Dated. would like to see where they were let down. Was surprised with the 8 on the legacy.

Some nice grades there.

Might have to get in on this next time. A few things I wouldn't mind getting graded.

Very happy with the 10 on the JO dual plus the 9.5 on the Kobe Chrome rookie. The 8 on the JO xfractor rookie surprised me though.

6841255 1996-97 E-X2000 Credentials Anfernee Hardaway 7.0
6841261 1997-98 SP Authentic Tim Duncan 9.0
6841258 1996 SPx A.Hardaway Expired 10.0

7.0! :( I thought it wouldve been at least 9.....goes to show how much i know.... but surely a 7.0 has some obvious damage....i couldnt see much.

will be interested to see the sub grades.

Happy with the Duncan given the card is listed as sensitive.

Obviously stoked with the 10.0:kick:

EDIT: subgrades off beckett.com
Set Name: 1996-97 E-X2000 Credentials
Player Name: Anfernee Hardaway
Date Graded: Wednesday, July 27, 2011
Centering 6
Corners 9
Edges 9.5
Surfaces 9

EDIT: subgrades off beckett.com
Set Name: 1996-97 E-X2000 Credentials
Player Name: Anfernee Hardaway
Date Graded: Wednesday, July 27, 2011
Centering 6
Corners 9
Edges 9.5
Surfaces 9

Ouch on the 7, did it look that badly out of centre?

How did you get to view the subgrades?

Beckett Media LP

whack the serial number in.

Centering wasnt great, but to get a 7, it has been marked 65/35....thought better than that.

Thanks mate, interesting to see how close some of them are to going a .5 higher grade. Garths Jo has 3x 10's and a 9.5! Epic!

EDIT same as your penny :D

hows final grade determined? would've thought add subs and divide by 4?...but apparently not, as my penny credentials would've been 8.5?.....

Yeah from what i can tell the lowest grade has the strongest determining factor which doesn't make sense to me. IMO it should be as you said add subs divide by 4

---------- Post added 06-08-2011 at 12:34 AM ----------

Just did the calculations on mine and most of them worked out to be right with the add then divide by 4 except this one which as with your penny should be an 8.5

Set Name: 1997-98 SkyBox Premium Star Rubies
Player Name: Gary Payton
Date Graded: Monday, August 01, 2011
Centering Corners Edges Surfaces
9.5 9 9 7

My MJ mystery borderless refractor surprised me only getting a 7.5.....if you had asked me which card I thought would grade the highest before I sent them I woulda said that definately......stoked about the 9.5's I got though, especially for the Shawn Kemp autographics.

Thanks to Garth for putting this together, I'll definately be in on the next one also.

Credentials from that year are hard to determine on the centering. My Kobe got dinged on centering (8) as well, even though I thought it was solid.

As for the grade, the usual grade is add them up and divide by 4 BUT the final grade cannot be higher than 1 pt than any individual low subgrade. So even though a hypothetical card graded 9.5 + 10 + 9.5 + 3 = 32/4 = 8, it won't get graded higher than a 4 because of the low individual subgrade (AFAIK).

From Beckett:

How Final Grades are Determined

Here is how we do it!

The overall numerical grade is not a simple average of the four report card grades. Beckett Grading Services uses an algorithm which determines the final grade using the 4 sub grades on the front label of the card holder. The lowest overall grade is the first category to observe because it is the most obvious defect, and the lowest grade is the most heavily weighted in determining the overall grade.

Example:

Centering = 9.5
Corners = 9.5
Edges = 9
Surface = 8
Final grade = 8.5

The reason that this card received an 8.5 is that even though the Surface grade was an 8 (the lowest grade overall), the 9.5 grades on Centering and Corners were strong enough to bring it up a full point to reach the 8.5 level.

Another example:

Centering = 9.5
Corners = 9.5
Edges = 8.5
Surface = 9
Final grade = 9

Upon first glance, it may appear that this card should've received a grade different than a 9. The most this card could receive was .5 (or one-half grade) above the lowest sub-grade. The Edges were the lowest in this case, hence, the card received the overall 9 grade. Even though Centering and Corners received grades of 9.5, a key point to remember is that the minimum requirement to receive a grade of Gem Mint is to have at least three grades of 9.5 and the fourth to be no less than a 9.

Also, please note that the final grade rarely, if ever, exceeds two levels above the lowest of the four characteristic grades. For example, if a card has characteristic grades of Centering 10, Corners 6, Edges 10 and Surface 10, the final grade will be a "7" (of which is exactly two grading levels above the lowest characteristic grade).

Beckett Media LP

thanks for explaining guys.

And a HUGE thanks to Garth as well for organising. Absolute champ. May good things come to you at the National.:thumbsup:

Yep gotta thanks Garth and hope he hits Mojo over in Chi Town.

Brett: Thanks for that mate, still sucks that it will only at most get a 1 point above lowest grade no matter the overall grade on the other subs.

Back
Top Bottom