Official NRL Traders 2024 Thread.

There's too much in person autos in the hobby. It's great for kids but much of this stuff finds its way onto ebay. Some of it will sadly be counterfeit such is human nature. If I were a criminal I'd spend the next few months perfecting the signatures of greats. It must be a piece of cake really. As the hobby grows here there could be a niche for authenticating and slabbing in person autos. Something that is I believe not currently done. If it is let me know because I would like to get a few done.

Need way more licensed autos in our local sports.

There's too much in person autos in the hobby. It's great for kids but much of this stuff finds its way onto ebay. Some of it will sadly be counterfeit such is human nature. If I were a criminal I'd spend the next few months perfecting the signatures of greats. It must be a piece of cake really. As the hobby grows here there could be a niche for authenticating and slabbing in person autos. Something that is I believe not currently done. If it is let me know because I would like to get a few done.

Need way more licensed autos in our local sports.
Yes agree, get the past players signing. Not sure how it works now the are just joe citizen and use of their image in team colours.

Yes 1 per box would be great. It's all comes down to maths. The number of cases they think they can sell, divided by the
number of signature cards and ratios they are using.
Thing is most collectors seem to be team collectors now , so if you don't get your team at least you want a
good chance of moving it on or trade for the one you want.
For sure. I've not been a team collector since I was a kid so I'm hoping to hit something, anything to offset the overall cost. I'm really a set collector at heart. The most joy I get is looking through a binder rather than going through a box of toploaders or graded cards.

Value is important as it really is expensive relative to what it is - cardboard.

For sure. I've not been a team collector since I was a kid so I'm hoping to hit something, anything to offset the overall cost. I'm really a set collector at heart. The most joy I get is looking through a binder rather than going through a box of toploaders or graded cards.

Value is important as it really is expensive relative to what it is - cardboard. Most mums and dads would not be that stoked to have their kids pestering them for $200 boxes of cards when the cost of living has gone through the roof.
Yes, there is something nice about looking through the older cards (pre 1994) where there were no inserts. Just common cards and plenty
of them from each team. But that was 30 years ago, things move on like my hair :)

There's a lot of subsets going on. Then variants on them, but that's the way now. Only 2 sigs, not a team that I thought I saw a picture of. As I've mentioned before the design is too busy for me. Sigs # to 39 and 106, please just stick to nice rounded numbers. If it means ratios are better, all good. I do hope that all these subsets do standout apart from one another. Only 8 players is too low for my liking. In my mind the top 13/15 players in each squad should make on to a card over the two releases. Well that's my quick take on the release, now wait to see the checklist at months end. [/QUOTEAnother 10 years down the track and we might be chasing 30 card rainbows.

If you're willing to pay up like you would for one of the men's sigs I'm all yours.

Otherwise I'll hang onto it and donate it to a local NRLW club.

I'm no sexist - just in case someone mistakes me for that - it's just that you can't get around the fact that the sigs of the women will, all things equal, go for less than the fellas as their market is so much smaller. I feel like I'm subsidising the cards of the NRLW in these products.

TLA should be doing most of the heavy lifting - ie stand alone NRLW product - I'm not a wealthy man and I would like more value. Not less value.

Edit: Sorry mate, got a bit loose there. I'd be happy to sell it to you for the going rate. Cheers.
Who will but this standalone NRLW product if the consensus is it’s cluttering up the NRL sets?

Honestly, knowing women making their way in, or playing NRWL or WBBL, it’s absolutely fantastic the women’s content is included. At any time, folks don’t want it, hit me up.

On another note, I’m working in a primary school, if serious case collectors have commons they don’t want, let me know. I’ll put them in to sets to hand out to the kids at my school. A lot of little RL fans would be very appreciative.

Yes, there is something nice about looking through the older cards (pre 1994) where there were no inserts. Just common cards and plenty
of them from each team. But that was 30 years ago, things move on like my hair :)
8 commons per team is ridiculous. Should be minimum 12-15. The cricket stuff is getting down to 9 commons for the test team when it was 15-16 a couple years back.

Who will but this standalone NRLW product if the consensus is it’s cluttering up the NRL sets?

Honestly, knowing women making their way in, or playing NRWL or WBBL, it’s absolutely fantastic the women’s content is included. At any time, folks don’t want it, hit me up.

On another note, I’m working in a primary school, if serious case collectors have commons they don’t want, let me know. I’ll put them in to sets to hand out to the kids at my school. A lot of little RL fans would be very appreciative.
It's tricky. I'm all for the actual women's sports side of things but my beef is with TLA and that there is too much women's content in relation to the size of the market and it means me Joe Bloggs is subsidising it.

I get that you're passionate about the women's game and I respect that.

The fact that very few would buy a stand alone product kind of backs my argument that the average collector is being asked to subsidise it. Let TLA subsidise it. They have the money.

The only reason there would not be demand for a stand alone product is because TLA will want to charge the same amount of money.

If they made a stand alone NRLW product and priced it accordingly it probably would sell. Then increase price as the market grows. I would not care myself with the amount of current NRLW content but not at the current price. I would have bought a few packets of Teamcoach AFLW at my local newsagent recently just for something to rip but when I saw the price went no way.

I should have simply said let TLA subsidise it. Not Joe Bloggs. That's it in a nutshell.

I think as it stands every year we have two low-value sets full of what are always effectively reprints of the same 3 players from each team's common cards in B&L and Rivalry. I'm sure these products could easily be replaced by a standalone NRLW product, or if they have no confidence in that maybe make it a true midseason/late season release and only have the women's plus origin and a few new recruits for each team

My local newsagent was selling the women soccer World cup cards. This had highest watched sporting event ever. Matilda's vs England. However, they weren't selling and he couldn't even them basically give them away. If this was the Best?? Supported sporting event and didn't sell them I doubt nrlw would either. Unfortunately.

The women's world cup was a huge success for the game itself but the soccer hobby is tiny. All this talk of being the sleeping giant because it is the most popular global sport have not panned out.

They pump out way too many men's soccer products given the relatively small size of the hobby so it should be no surprise that a stand alone women's product didn't sell. I think they do have some women's content in certain releases( could be wrong on that) and that's fine because there's a lot of releases so you're not getting it in every product.

Soccer is virtually a non event as far as the hobby goes imo. It must have the worst value rip proposition in all of cards. Many products go for closer to $1000 than $500 and you're lucky to pull $150 worth of cards out of it. If the manufacturers weren't so greedy they'd halve the production/releases.

Here's a possible solution for Elite. If you are going to put an NRLW auto in a box make it a two auto box.

They won't do that because they are greedy and want to increase print runs which dilutes value. It's an issue right throughout the sportscard hobby. Larger print runs, higher prices and less value overall.

I think for now, they continue to integrate the NRLW in to the Traders set.

Traders Parallel cards surely have seen their use by date come and go. And some of the inserts are just rinse, wash, wear, repeat. Even having so many sig cards is a bit too much too. If they stick with 9 NRL commons per team (no logo card), surely B&L can be another 3 commons and a gold captain card and Rivalry - an SOO set with another 3 commons, then that’s 15 commons per team.

Then your Elite can be team review cards, etc with juicy parallels or prisms or whatever, sigs, patch cards, booklets, Dally M and Australia Kangaroo/Jillaroo whiz bangs. Price it up for your hard core collectors and cut out the common set.

It's a tricky one, I feel a WNRL stand alone set would be a financial disaster. Tap n Play put out a netball set some years back which didn't sell well. How many female collectors are there in the hobby ? Not that I'm saying they would mainly collect women's sports cards. When it comes to signature cards you want the stars on there, old and current. That should be the focus , I'm everyone on here could name a number current stars in their team without a signature card.
So who's going to be the Warriors signature card for Traders this year ?

Back
Top Bottom