Official NBA 2014 Draft Thread

As I was at work all day yesterday, I only got a chance to watch whole draft late last night and rest this morning, so a few thoughts...

Am I one of the only people here that is excited to see Dante go to Utah? He and Burke will be great backcourt for years to come (GO AUSSIE AND GO BLUE!!)

Denver should be very happy with their last 24 hours. Basically traded Evan Fournier and Doug McDermott for Afflalo, Nurkic and Harris = WINNING

Celtics drafting Smart is a great pick and pretty much means that Rondo can start packing his bags.

76'ers are going to be worst team in the league this coming season. 2 Top 10 picks and NEITHER of them will be playing this season. I know Embiid is only out 4-6 months, but given 76'ers attitude about tanking, I see Embiid "recovery process" keeping him out until at least All-Star Game, and given how good next years draft is looking, it might not be a bad idea to be bad for another year. Imagine trying to score in the paint once Embiid and Noel are both up and about.

Given Kings drafting Stauskas (GO BLUE, again) what happens to Ben McLemore? Both play same position (SG) but Stauskas way better shooter.

And lastly, (and IMO most importantly) NBA showed so much class in "drafting" Austin. Dude was already looking to be first partially blind player to ever make it into the NBA, but then to be diagnosed with Marfan Syndrome only days before draft, and yet his outlook was so positive. Makes me re-assess what I think is adversity in my own life, and that I should be more positive in my own attitude. He did say that he would like to tell people his story and change their outlook on life - well Mr Austin, I can tell you right now that you have already done that to me, so keep going with that positive attitude of yours because the world is a better place for having people like you in it.

I agree with the above, especially about Dante to Utah, really excited about that and hopefully that means a lot less hype.

There is so many young guys coming through now. I really like the Aaron Gordon pick to Orlando at 4. He's going to be great IMO.

I'm also really keen to see Vonleh play. I have a bad feeling about Randle, but maybe that's just me because a lot of people are high on him.

Also just really hoping Bairstow makes the team.

I agree with the above, especially about Dante to Utah, really excited about that and hopefully that means a lot less hype.

There is so many young guys coming through now. I really like the Aaron Gordon pick to Orlando at 4. He's going to be great IMO.

I'm also really keen to see Vonleh play. I have a bad feeling about Randle, but maybe that's just me because a lot of people are high on him.

Also just really hoping Bairstow makes the team.

Your right, there are so many awesome young guys in this draft with huge potential. If they meet their potential we will have the next...

1) Paul Pierce/Melo in Jabari Parker
2) Olajuwon in Joel Embiid
3) Blake Griffin in Aaron Gordon
4) Russell Westbrook in Exum
5) Z-Bo in Randle
6) Gary Payton in Elfrid Payton (more for the defence than the surname)

And that is just in the Top 10!! Not saying they will all make it, but they have a better than good chance of doing so.

Sorry, I couldn't think of a comparison for Wiggins. He scares me a bit to be honest, if he doesn't improve his jumpshot then he is the next Gerald Green.

And if the Bulls go ahead and waive Boozer and actually get Melo, then I think Bairstow makes the team, only as a third string PF, but still on the roster, which would be awesome for him and Aussie Bball.

As I was at work all day yesterday, I only got a chance to watch whole draft late last night and rest this morning, so a few thoughts...

Am I one of the only people here that is excited to see Dante go to Utah? He and Burke will be great backcourt for years to come (GO AUSSIE AND GO BLUE!!)

Denver should be very happy with their last 24 hours. Basically traded Evan Fournier and Doug McDermott for Afflalo, Nurkic and Harris = WINNING

Celtics drafting Smart is a great pick and pretty much means that Rondo can start packing his bags.

76'ers are going to be worst team in the league this coming season. 2 Top 10 picks and NEITHER of them will be playing this season. I know Embiid is only out 4-6 months, but given 76'ers attitude about tanking, I see Embiid "recovery process" keeping him out until at least All-Star Game, and given how good next years draft is looking, it might not be a bad idea to be bad for another year. Imagine trying to score in the paint once Embiid and Noel are both up and about.

Given Kings drafting Stauskas (GO BLUE, again) what happens to Ben McLemore? Both play same position (SG) but Stauskas way better shooter.

And lastly, (and IMO most importantly) NBA showed so much class in "drafting" Austin. Dude was already looking to be first partially blind player to ever make it into the NBA, but then to be diagnosed with Marfan Syndrome only days before draft, and yet his outlook was so positive. Makes me re-assess what I think is adversity in my own life, and that I should be more positive in my own attitude. He did say that he would like to tell people his story and change their outlook on life - well Mr Austin, I can tell you right now that you have already done that to me, so keep going with that positive attitude of yours because the world is a better place for having people like you in it.

Great recap buddy... I share many of your thoughts aside from the Kings pick. Here are some other of my observations:

- the biggest steal/sleeper in this whole draft by the time its all said and done in 10yrs will be pick 34 in the 2nd round Cleanthony Early for the New York Knicks... can run, can shoot from deep, is versatile, can rebound, great energy/hustle guy and the fickle New York fans are gonna love this guy - one of favorite players in the whole draft, disappointing that he dropped so low, unsure why as yet
- the most comfortable guy on the night... seemed to be Jabari Parker who has a great smile and seems likeable - seemed very happy to be going to the Bucks and will avg approx 17-20 ppg right away i reckon
- the least comfortable guy... was easily Zach Lavine who got picked up by the Wolves... boy these kids just dont get how much of a priviledge it is to be drafted into the NBA and become an instant millionaire, already seems to have a bad attitude, not a good start
- winners on the night... nuggets, bulls (shed salary for pursuit of melo & got a shooter they were desperate for), sixers (loads of young talent on its way - albeit no immediately), lakers (randle was another of my faves and the lakers will benefit greatly by having him), suns (loaded up with more good young talent), knicks (snagged early late :) and also greek freeks brother very late in draft) , orlando (just turned into a 3 man highlight reel with gordon oladipo and payton - will be damn electric team to watch), miami (by getting someone bron wants and also shabazz was a quality point guard that probably makes chalmers expendable - id keep cole over him), okc (while others dont see this as a sexy pick they always draft for need and mcgary is what they need - someone to be mentored by and eventually replace team player and energy bench guy nick collison), international players (no less than 13 of the 60 players drafted were from overseas)
- losers on the night... kings (not sure stauskas was the right pick here - too much duplication for them... one of the couple of lottery picks that i didnt like plus add to the mix that jimmer fredette was so disappointing from a recent draft), blazers/pelicans/mavs/warriors with no picks in one of the deepest drafts in recent times, toronto (taking bruno at #20 was highly risky even though they could have nabbed him far lower - there was lots more immediately available talent still on the board)
- biggest question marks... dante to utah - how does he mesh with burke and how long does it take him to climatise to the nba, did gordon go too high based on athleticism alone? doesnt really have much of an offensive game just yet, marcus smart was a seemingly good selection for the celts - clearly the writing is on the wall for rondo but where does he go and what do they get in return? what exactly have the hornets got in 19 yr old super hands noah vonleh?
- chip on my shoulder... heard this phrase sooooooo many times on the night - in such a damn deep draft class, how do these guys not understand that not everyone can go in the lottery?? it baffles me... many players felt they should have been picked higher, most notably randle after going at #7, shabazz napier & rodney hood at #23 to the jazz seemed very disappointed - seriously guys get over yourselves
- i felt a lot of awkwardness/silent animosity from bill and jalen towards exum for being picked so high and not having played much ball of late... i didnt like that - give the kid a chance to prove himself and then judge... as always they feel that it is the right of passage for the american college kids to be picked highest and everyone else should be in second round and "stashed away overseas" for a few yrs before they come to the L

so much to talk about and to see how things unfold now that free agency is underway... the draft and the offseason are my fave times of the nba year - i wish i was a GM for an NBA team #dreamjob

From what I seen of Marcus Smarts first game (started bad like Napier) he and Rondo could maybe even play together, they would compliment each other IMO. See what Ainge has in store, Rondo might be staying

Back
Top Bottom