Official Ben SImmons Thread

National team looking great with these new talents. Need to get more nbl imports to stay in the country and produce talent. Haha

Meet Ben Simmons, tipped to be the next local star in US basketball
  • Peter Rolfe sports affairs
  • Herald Sun
  • July 05, 2014 7:40PM

988323-1af4f5b2-fcf2-11e3-888c-6fc2f7923827.jpg

Ben Simmons was this month voted most valuable player at a US camp featuring the top 100 players of his age group expected to play NBA. Picture: Andy Brownbill Source: CAS Andy Brownbill / News Limited
REMEMBER the name Ben Simmons. He is the Melbourne teenager set to become the next big thing in basketball, putting Victorian talent on the global stage yet again.
The sporting spotlight last week shone brightly on Seabrook sensation Dante Exum, 18, when he was selected by the Utah Jazz in the NBA Draft.
But while Exum is this week’s big news, Simmons could be even bigger.
Hailed “the wonder from Down Under’” by US scouts, Simmons, 17, was this month voted most valuable player at a US camp featuring the top 100 players of his age group expected to play NBA.
Simmons, a good mate of Exum, is already in the Australian Boomers squad and earmarked to be one of the nation’s greatest talents.
987928-62fd564c-fdc4-11e3-9463-539ac6ca705b.jpg

Dante Exum has beenselected by the Utah Jazz in the NBA Draft. Picture: Jason Edwards Source: News Limited
Luc Longley — who played alongside the great Michael Jordan — said he was a “fantastic talent’’.

“I’m a big fan. He just looks like a man among boys,’’ Longley said. “If he stays healthy and stays focused I think he will be every bit as good as Dante Exum.’’
Simmons and Exum have plenty in common. Both are the sons of US imports who came to Australia in the glory days of the NBL in the 1990s.
Exum’s dad, Cecil, played for North Melbourne Giants, Geelong Supercats and Melbourne Tigers, while Dave Simmons is a Tigers great.
989015-57c494fc-fcd4-11e3-888c-6fc2f7923827.jpg

Ben Simmons with his father Dave. Picture: Andy Brownbill Source: News Limited
Dante and Ben played together at Keilor Thunder as juniors and spent time at the Australian Institute of Sport dreaming of playing for Australia and in the NBA.
Kevin Goorjian, who coached Simmons at Box Hill Secondary College, said he realised how big his star pupil might become when a US scout showed up at an inter-school carnival to watch him in year 9.
“He’s a super talent,” he said.
“I just know that Ben is going to be special.’’
Simmons, who has signed to play for Louisiana State University, where the likes of hoops great Shaquille O’Neal have gone before, seems destined for the NBA.
“Hopefully, one step at a time, but that’s definitely a goal of mine,’’ he said.
Simmons is expected to help usher in a new golden era of Australian basketball, helped by Exum and homegrown talent competing around the world.
Proud dad Dave Simmons said his son was his own man who he hoped would soon make a name for himself.
“It’s been a fantastic journey for him,’’ he said.

Did anybody catch his games out here a few weeks ago?

He looked great. Most surprising thing for me was how good a passer he is.

Ben Simmons 'has all the tools' says mentor LeBron James
play
11:20 AM AEST

LeBron James has described himself as Ben Simmons' big brother and mentor, but the NBA star says the Australian teenager controls his own destiny.

Simmons, 19, is expected to be selected No.1 by the Philadelphia 76ers at next Thursday's NBA Draft in New York.

James' management agency, Klutch Sports Group, represents Simmons and the teenager has based himself in Cleveland ahead of the draft.

"As a mentor to him, as a big brother to him, I also give him a lot of advice on what to expect when he makes his jump next week and how to handle it," James, replying to a question from AAP, said.

"But he also has to figure out on his own as well because everybody's path is different."

Simmons has been the frontrunner for more than a year to be the No.1 draft pick, despite being unable to lead Louisiana State University to the NCAA Tournament.
upload_2016-6-19_17-15-38.png

Photo by Frederick Breedon/Getty Images
Simmons' biggest threat for the top pick is former Duke University forward Brandon Ingram.

When asked if he thought the 76ers would be wrong not to select Simmons first, James said he was not an NBA general manager so declined to answer.

"I'm not a GM," he said.

"I don't get paid by the Sixers, so I'm not going to answer that."

But James was bullish not only on the Melbourne-born, 208cm tall Simmons' talent and skills, but his personality.

"I think he is a great young talent," James said.

"I think what he displays on the basketball court, we all notice.

"I think we all don't know just yet how great a kid he is and how down to earth he is with the game of basketball and life in general."

As for just how much of an impact Simmons would make on the NBA, James said history would show.

"He has all of the tools, and it's up to him," James said.

But, the four-time NBA MVP who will lead the Cleveland Cavaliers against the Golden State Warriors at Oakland's Oracle Arena in a winner-take-all NBA Finals game seven on Sunday (Monday AEST), said Simmons would also benefit from having a close-knit family.

AP Photo/Tony Dejak
Simmons' father, US-born former NBL star Dave Simmons and mother Julie, have been in the US with their son.

Simmons' sister Emily is employed at Klutch.

"I've had an opportunity to spend a lot of time over the last couple of years with him and his family and they're just very appreciative of the opportunity they have been given as a family," James said.

upload_2016-6-19_17-15-45.png

How about Sixers GB prices with Simmons/Ingram (1st pick), Joel Embiid (2014 3rd pick), Dario Saric (2014 12th pick) and this years 24th & 26th picks?
Will Embiid's cards be rookie year though? As thought I had seen some of his RPA's last year

Back
Top Bottom