NRL 1963 Price Guide

AyiosYiorgos

Card Addict
Real Name
Michael
eBay User
st.george4life / TradingCardFactory
Well the Scanlens 1963 set is considered the 1st Rugby League set, this set consists of 18 cards, they are as follows

1 Brian Hambly 10 Johnny Riley
2 Peter Diamond 11 Barry Muir
3 Bob Landers 12 Lionel Morgan
4 Don Parish 13 Ken Irvine
5 Micheal Cleary 14 Ken Thornett
6 Dudley Beattie 15 Elton Rasmussen
7 Johnny Raper 16 Jim Lisle
8 Ian Walsh 17Reg Gasiner
9 Mick Veivers 18 Arthur Summons

A mint set of these would fetch at least $10000 with an averge of $550 each with Gasnier and Raper hitting the $1000+, it wouldn't suprise me to see them even sell for $1000+ each and the set go for $20000..
what does everyone think are they valued closer to $500 or $1000+

What do these look like as I thought 1964 was the first year. IF we are talking the same set, I've not seen a card go for more than $595 on Ebay (Gas/Raper). Once again IF this is the set I'm thinking of, I know of one that sold through OCT for ~$5000

Mischa
1963 was the first year with 18 cards, 1964 had 33 cards in the set, i have seen in the past on eBay, sellers referring to cards as 1963 but actually are 1964... I would assume you have seen a 1964 card of Gas / Raper go for $595 and most probably not mint condition.... when was the one sold for $5000 on OCT?

I've found the easiest way to distinguish between 1963 and 1964 cards if only looking at the front, is that 1963 do not have the Scanlens emblem on the front and 1964 cards do.

There was about 10 of them for sale on ebay about 2 months ago in pretty good condition. The asking price was $700- $800. I am pretty sure that only 1 got sold at that time.
In my opinion these are the 'Jewel in the Crown' cards for rugby league as there was no such thing as inserts or signatures nor redemptions.
That is why i have no hesitation in saying todays cards with all the above are well overpriced and not so rare.

Just my opinion.

Steve agree with the "jewel in the crown" statement, if i had the money i would be definetly purchasing them, and your right in comparision, most rare cards today are at least numbered to 100, you would be lucky to get 20 cards of that for each card from the 63 series

There was about 10 of them for sale on ebay about 2 months ago in pretty good condition. The asking price was $700- $800. I am pretty sure that only 1 got sold at that time.
In my opinion these are the 'Jewel in the Crown' cards for rugby league as there was no such thing as inserts or signatures nor redemptions.
That is why i have no hesitation in saying todays cards with all the above are well overpriced and not so rare.

Just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom