New Select Release December 5 2018 **WOW**

The AFL has only 1 license to issue for the production of AFL Trading Cards, and select hold that licence.
The AFL released a licence to Teamcoach as they produce gaming cards with stats that kids can use to play games with, they are not categorised as trading cards.
The AFL also released a licence to POGS to issue them and to odd bodz to do cartoon cards.
Also back in 1995 the AFL granted Darren Bewick a licence to produce puzzle cards for kids to collect, these were a total flop but the AFL had gotten around the one licence issue in the past so maybe its time for someone to come up with a new concept.

Just as a closing note the AFLPA stepped in on the Future Force Release in 2014 and sought a royalty payment to be paid to anyone signing cards in that series, prior to that they signed them for free. I assumed the $30 per signature per player was too expensive for select, hence the gold stamped draft pick cards from a couple of years back, and no signature cards in the top 10 draft pick cards this year.

It seems its all about money.

great idea but think with the low numbering there would have to be some weighting for the less collected cards. an Essendon set of cards numbered to 220 and 300ish is alot more collectable than say a Freo or gold coast set!

How are these cards in hand (sorry just realised release is today)? I did see Eureka cards do a break of some sort and they seemed nice.

AFL & NRL have way too many releases atm, I'd say a secondary license would flood the market even more.

Finally got a couple of those christmas cards, i think select did a good job with them. :D :poop:
1545270366413.png
1545270381660.png
1545270394846.png
1545270405429.png

I didn’t bother with these and I miss future force, now the problem is too long of a gap between releases so I have lost interest something fierce not sure if my interest will pick up for series 1 or not, I’m a person who loves the chase by busting boxes or cases the Christmas cards certainly don’t give me that, so I have gone from spending thousands on future force to spending zero and have basically moved into a different hobby now so not sure what my plans are now for this year, will depend on the releases I guess

I didn’t bother with these and I miss future force, now the problem is too long of a gap between releases so I have lost interest something fierce not sure if my interest will pick up for series 1 or not, I’m a person who loves the chase by busting boxes or cases the Christmas cards certainly don’t give me that, so I have gone from spending thousands on future force to spending zero and have basically moved into a different hobby now so not sure what my plans are now for this year, will depend on the releases I guess

Expect 3 releases next year.......1, 2 and a high end legends one in September.

Expect 3 releases next year.......1, 2 and a high end legends one in September.

And that’s all they need, still might be a quiet 1 for me this year won’t spend anywhere near what I have in the past might just grab a case of each and that’s it

IMO the high end release could still feature current players. It doesn’t have to be a draft or legends set, just make the cards look and feel different and have different inserts and ideas.

Are you being serious about this incoming Easter theme yet alone a Valentine's theme of the same common base and 🌟 burst? Or is this just fake news?

So Valentine's Day editions of 🌟 burst a pink background? (Pink as in love hearts?); Easter 🌟 burst chocolate brown background for the Easter eggs? Lol 🐒

:lol: I'd say it a bit tongue-in-cheek but you never know with how this card industry is these days lol.

I wouldn't put it past some people.......

Heart shaped die cut starburst cards for Valentines Day (same design as last year to save some $$$ - complete with scratch n sniff component - probably smelling like a group breakers basement for that real earthy musky smell).

Only $100 a pack or $6000 a box (60 packs) cards limited to 9,999 each and will be the best release ever!

Come one, come all, you too can be screwed on valentines day!

I wouldn’t mind knowing if they sold all the Christmas card packets, as I’m curious if people actually like the concept, I find stuff like that incredibly cringeworthy and then when other companies try and copy the idea it’s fast turning the hobby into a bit of a joke, I’m old school though give me a box to bust I like the hunt

I wouldn’t mind knowing if they sold all the Christmas card packets, as I’m curious if people actually like the concept, I find stuff like that incredibly cringeworthy and then when other companies try and copy the idea it’s fast turning the hobby into a bit of a joke, I’m old school though give me a box to bust I like the hunt

Companies (like Select) will always look for the easy, cheapest way out.......why would they bother to spend money on innovation and new exciting products when they can put out the same release each year with a minor tweak here or there and still make the same sales.

The big revolutionary change last year? a parallel brownlow predictor! How revolutionary........the same card as the normal one ....BUT DIFFERENT!

At least with the NRL and TLA they are trying things.......the Marvel Jerseys were sensational cards........Elite and Traders are both really good releases now.

I bet you $10 that if it were not a monopoly licence in the AFL........there would be some amazing innovative products made. With competition comes innovation.

Look what happened in the mid 90's for NBA..........the NBA had multiple non exclusive licences......people like Fleer were innovating by getting different graphic designers in to design cards etc......make inserts interesting..........Upper deck had to start making things like jersey cards and autos to remain relevant and competitive.

Once that become a monopoly, you go back to the same stuff year in year out with a minor tweak here and there!

What will the brownlow predictors be this year?

A third parallel to 10 or 5?

won't happen. I would imagine they will look at something other than brownlow predictors this year. premiership predictors most likely in series one and who knows after that.
I really hope that premiership predictors will replace half of the Brownlow predictors: leaving only 4 BP s per club thus 4 premiership predictors: bronze /300 unsigned redemption; silver /300 player 1 signature; gold /300 player 2 signature (NS medalist or club's best if award to player on runners up); emerald /300; signature 3 (ie mccale medalist?) + consolation redemption for all incorrect predictors as well? Then again what would I know?

When it comes to Series 1 we need to be mindful that it's only $2.99 a pack. Hence a release with a Brownlow predictor (which I was fortunate to redeem Dusty a couple of years ago...and what a great card it is), I think is fantastic. I do agree though with the comments that we shouldn't take the gloss of something because it's milked over many releases. Therefore, I really do hope for 2019 Series 1 we see

• One level of Brownlow predictor cards, and limited to 3-4 players each club
  • Premiership predictor being a part of series 1, similarly one level (i.e. no silver & gold). If this means you only get one player signing...so be it.
  • I'd also love to see some of the older inserts make a little comeback...mascot gem cards and sketch cards. This would replace likes of A-graders and starburst variants (though I doubt this as clearly starburst looks to rival the teamcoach star and magic wildcards for the younger collectors)

For Series 2, the last 2-3 years have been very good releases. In 2016, we saw the return of the guernsey cards and addition of Footy's Finest. In 2017, this was complimented by the surprise inclusion of Influential card (and of course a Richmond premiership predictor :D). Then last year we got the return of an all time favourite in the draft pick signature, and had the special Ablett dual signature as a surprise. Personally, I think 2017 Certified and 2018 Legacy are two of the best releases in the last 10 years. So all this requires is minor tweaks, for example

• If retained, Future Hall of Fame let's just keep this to recently retired players (and where player spent majority of their time e.g. unlike Luke Hodge card). How good would this card be if it had the Footys Finest look and feel rather than what we got in Legacy
  • Certified Signatures some of the player selection could be improved
  • Like last two years keep up the surprises...with these it's always striking the balance between being all clubs inclusive (2017 Influential) or a genuine limited high end card (like Ablett dual signature) . I'm ok with the latter (even if not my club) as helps the release retain great value.

Only question which remains is whether there will be a 3rd release, or the Regal greats of the game equivalent will some way be incorporated into series 2. I'm tipping three releases for this year.

Back
Top Bottom