On Again, Off Again..
Real Name
Travis
eBay User
the_funkadelic
Indiana, Dallas to swap Johnson, Armstrong

By CLIFF BRUNT, Associated Press Writer
July 23, 2006

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- The Indiana Pacers will send point guard Anthony Johnson to the Dallas Mavericks for veteran floor leader Darrell Armstrong and two young players, Armstrong's agent said Sunday.

Armstrong, forward Josh Powell and swingman Rawle Marshall are headed to the Pacers in a sign-and-trade deal that can't be completed until the NBA office opens Monday.

Johnson gives the Mavericks a pass-first point guard to complement starters Jason Terry and Devin Harris, both of whom are more scorers than distributors. Johnson also is taller than Armstrong, and a strong defender with solid playoff experience.

Dallas had been considering signing Chucky Atkins to fill the same role. By getting Johnson in a trade, the Mavs instead can spend their remaining salary cap money on a backup swingman and a third-string power forward, the final two items on their offseason want list.

The 31-year-old Johnson averaged 20 points and 5.2 assists in six playoff games last season. He'll make around $2.6 million this season and $2.8 million the following year.

BOTH Powell & Marshall too???

I liked the look of Powell, damn...

Oh well, I'm sure they know what they're doing.

They werent getting a lot of minutes with the Mavs so might as well move them on. I wonder what they'll do with KVH tho...

Doesnt seem like he's going to be in Dallas next year.....

good for them to get AJ...another guy with finals experience (2003) and can hit that 15 footer.....he would work well with Terry, either coming off the bench or along side with him on the court

Aj scored something like 45 points in his last playoff game last season...he played pretty awesome for them...

dont see him keeping up with Parker though

As called by the one and only White Chocolate:

" George on the way: The Mavericks are working on details of a contract that will lock up former Los Angeles Laker Devean George.

The 6-8, free-agent forward was a vital part of the Lakers' championship teams with Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe Bryant. That experience is what has the Mavericks excited about the possibility of landing him with a veteran's minimum contract, about $1.2 million, guaranteed.

The Mavericks on Monday finalized the trade that brings backup point guard Anthony Johnson to the team for Darrell Armstrong, Josh Powell and Rawle Marshall. Even if Powell and Marshall are waived by the Pacers, they will not be returning to Dallas, apparently.

The Mavericks, according to Johnson, believe that a veteran with NBA Finals experience will better serve them at this point than young projects. George would fit that billing."

George to me we by FAR the most under-rated laker in the championship years....good pick up

Hmmm.. I do like George, but he's not under rated.. he's handy, but nothing more than that.. he's worked hard, and hit his peak and hasn't budged since.. the guy was disapointing the last few seasons, he's a veteran that should really play better and work harder.. he fell out of favor clearly with the lakers.. I don't see him getting the minutes in Dallas, but will add to the depth on the mavs..

overall , great pickup for that price.. but I think he should have left for the kings... he'd have a role there..

I didn't think he deserved his own thread but since you brought up the Kings, John Salmons has signed with them after backing out of the deal with Toronto..

I didn't think he deserved his own thread but since you brought up the Kings, John Salmons has signed with them after backing out of the deal with Toronto..

The Kings have signed Salmons and are apparently letting Bonzi Wells go....maybe a starting role for Kevin Martin with Francisco Garcia to back him up and salmons as the 3rd man off the bench?

I like Bonzi hope he goes into a good situation

KVH in a Nuggest Uni? They got that much money now?? lol.

I'm pretty sure the Mavs are'nt going to be spending money on him, pitty they probably could have traded him. I dunno?

Here's a quickie, it's all speculation though..

Majerus said Van Horn would blend in well with the new offense Karl is installing. Karl is looking to go with a Phoenix-type attack, which includes not playing at times with a traditional center, using Carmelo Anthony more at power forward, running more and stepping up the pressure defense.

"He spaces the court," Karl said last week about what Van Horn could bring to the new attack.

For now, the Nuggets, who need at least one more big man, are being patient. Karl said he believes Van Horn understands he's "on the B-list" when it comes to July signings.

Van Horn will take a huge pay cut after making $15.7 million last season. It's doubtful the Nuggets, who have 12 players committed to make $61.6 million and want to avoid the luxury tax of $65.4 million, would be willing to pay Van Horn much more than $2 million.

"I don't think it's about money," said Majerus, who spoke with Van Horn at length about his future in May. "He wants a good fit."

Majerus believes the Nuggets could be that fit.

More than $2M??? KVH would want more than that, surely.....

He'd still come off the bench. But perhaps he'd be a go to guy off the bench?? Would he and Melo see court time together? I think not.

white_chocolate_55 said:
Horry was never under rated.. he just didnt do much during the season, and became captain clutch during the playoffs.. I will never ever forgive him for that buzzer beater against the kings...

i rkn!! I so wanted the Kings to take the Lakers and they did take them to 7 games. What about Chris Webbers' 3 goiing and and coming out again. Damn, Chris was so good during those years. Shaq messed up his knees though.

Back
Top Bottom