LeBron Files Paperwork To Change Jersey Number To 6

Benny J

Mr Big Shot...
Real Name
Ben
eBay User
15DVS
Interesting....not sure what the reasoning is??

LeBron James told the Cleveland Plain Dealer that he has filed the necessary paperwork with the NBA to change his jersey number from 23 to 6 next season.

"I've done it," James said. "I already sent it in. I'm going to be number 6."

James' decision may prompt another round of speculation about the superstar's impending free-agency. The number on his jersey may be different but what about the city name?

If James were to sign with a team other than the Cavs this off-season, he would not need to submit an application to switch jersey numbers. The request James filed is only needed if he remains in Cleveland next season.

Yep looks like it is in respect to Jordan.....

LeBron Files Paperwork To Change Number From 23 to 6; Says It’s In Deference To Jordan

LeBron James is serious about honoring Michael Jordan’s No. 23 after all. James hit Wednesday’s deadline to apply to the NBA to change his uniform number from 23 to 6, according to the Cleveland Plain-Dealer.

"I’ve done it," James told the paper. "I already sent it in. I’m going to be No. 6."

James first floated the idea in November, saying he wanted to switch from 23 out of respect for Jordan. James would want to wear 6, the number he wore while leading the U.S. to Olympic gold in Beijing in 2008.

The last big-name player to change numbers without changing teams was Kobe Bryant, who switched from 8 to 24 in 2006. Kobe’s new jersey quickly became the league’s top seller.

wait for J Rich to follow suit in the coming days :lol: :lol:

shame Upper Deck went bust....imagine the Bron/Russel or Bron/Dr J dual auto number pieces :woot:

6 becoz it was his USA jsy #, going to 6 to respect MJ, how about the elders like russell and doctor??? who in the first place is the pioneers of the nba!!!

I think everybody is overlooking probably the main reason......Jersey sales = Cash.

Lebron changes number......new jersey sales go through the roof, he becomes an even more valuable brand.

If you were getting a cut of the Jersey sales, wouldn't you do everything you can to boost sales? Look at EPL teams.....each year a new jersey. Alternate Jerseys, throwback jerseys. Its all an additional income stream.

I bet its more about the cash than respecting MJ.

Cheers
Matt

I wouldn't think he needs the cash, do you think he's that money hungry to disrespect the "respectful" notion of the #23 being retired?

Yeah im with Matt...jersey sales and LeBron is a tool i bet his just using this to create some positive media at seasons end incase he storms off the court in the playoffs without shaking hands or rips into his team again lol

Frankly I don't like it & personally think MJ gets a little too much "respect" to the point of being overrated.... yes, I said it. :p I'm sure slobby would agree with me.... ;)

I wouldn't think he needs the cash, do you think he's that money hungry to disrespect the "respectful" notion of the #23 being retired?

Yes. He has stated he wants to be a Billionaire. He'd do anything to get to that, and if he really isn't changing teams, then this helps him get there.

Don't post a lot in nba section, but wanted to add my 2 cents
I have to agree with Matt.... Was going to post something similar when I read the first page, but he took the words right out of my mouth!

I don't have anything against LeBron, bad sportsmanship or being a poser, he is an exciting player and he will be a HOFer, and seems like he is becoming more of a team player as the years go on but how many rings he ends up with? Who knows! People who cut him down reeks of tall poppy syndrome....

HAVING SAID THAT definitely seems like a cash grab to me! I don't think he will switch teams, he will be a franchise player and this change of numbers (and probably locked in a higher percentage of jersey sales for switching) is probably a sweetener for the impending deal to stay with the Cavs.

As for respect to MJ, a little part of me thinks that Bron regards himself as the new and improved MJ...

Back
Top Bottom