J-Rich to the Suns for Diaw & Bell

gemini0928

Basketball Addict
Real Name
Alf
eBay User
gemini0928
The Suns have finally tought of re-tooling... Nice for them to pick up J-Rich...

Also good for Diaw and the Bobcats...

The Phoenix Suns have completed a deal with the Charlotte Bobcats to acquire high-scoring swingman Jason Richardson, according to NBA front-office sources.

The multiplayer deal will require the Suns to part with forward Boris Diaw and defensive ace Raja Bell, two mainstays from the team that averaged 58 wins over the last four seasons under former Suns coach Mike D'Antoni.

The Suns will also receive a future second-round pick from the Bobcats and forward Jared Dudley while sending Sean Singletary to the Bobcats.

Senior writer Marc Stein covers the NBA for ESPN.com.

Considering how Diaw was playing this season, not a bad move by the suns. But J-Rich is hardly a defensive stopper, will be interesting to see how he fits into Porter system and Bell will be a huge loss there.

I like the Suns move. I hope it can make them better and even though I picked the Lakers to win the West, I am hoping the Suns can find a way of winning it...

tobe honest with you, unless amare can stop worrying about "being the man" , pull his outta his ass and start playing for the team instead of himself, they dont have that much hope. They're aging also, hill, shaq and nash aren't getting any younger. Duddley will help the youth side of things, but jrich isn't a quick fix. They still need more to complete this puzzle.

Those are guys who can help the Bobcats offense and defense they just got better at SG and SF with two guys who can score and defense. Who ran in a run and gun system, Larry preaches defense and scoring.

Job well done Bobcats:thumbsup:

tobe honest with you, unless amare can stop worrying about "being the man" , pull his outta his ass and start playing for the team instead of himself, they dont have that much hope. They're aging also, hill, shaq and nash aren't getting any younger. Duddley will help the youth side of things, but jrich isn't a quick fix. They still need more to complete this puzzle.

I noticed the above post had a word used that will save me some time so
Just wanted to see if ass will come up instead of having to type assist all the time :D

I might add they shipped away a good perimeter defender, a solid young talent for J-rich who is known for ball-hogging, high-flying dunks, but no defense.

SUNS - interesting move, not one that i think will necessarily improve the suns though. he brings more energy, scoring, and three point shooting but as some others guys here have stated, he aint no defensive stopper. so i think the suns will get worse defensively, especially with bell gone and diaw was not a bad defensive player (admitedly has been playing poorly overall)... theres now even more reason for amare to ***** and moan because jrich generelly shoots the ball a fair bit, nash will make jrich a good player again. while i commend them for trying to keep up with the powerhouses in the west but i dont think theyve made the team better.

CATS - ive never been a fan of the trade that brought jrich to the cats in the first place because i feel that g wallace is a better player (scorer & rebounder) and essentially provided the same things at the same position... clearly with todays trade, it shows that the trade wasnt a success. the addition of bell and diaw, as well as the subtraction of jrich will make this team better defensively right away. this team needs vets like these guys to help with the development of their young core... felton, augustin, okafor, morrison, wallace... not a bad move for them i reckon.

on the surface it would seem the suns get the better end of the deal here, but if you dig a little deeper you find that may not be the case

I might add they shipped away a good perimeter defender, a solid young talent for J-rich who is known for ball-hogging, high-flying dunks, but no defense.

J-Rich isn't known for ball-hogging?

He was the best player on the Charlotte Bobcats so I don't know what your raving about.

The Suns while Terry Porter does like defense, will always be a run-and-gun team as long as Steve Nash is there, and they just got a major upgrade. Last season Richardson averaged nearly 25 a game and was in the league leaders in perimeter shooting, the Suns needed to free up offensive pressure off Steve Nash and just got one of the top 10 2-Guards in the NBA, giving them a guy who will play a similar role to what JJ did for the Suns a couple years back.

This will further spread the floor for Shaq and Amare also, not that Amare needs it.

In all honesty I think the Bobcats don't really upgrade their team at all by this. Raja Bell is a spot-up shooter and won't bring that much to the team on offense, which is where they really struggle. Now they only have 2 strong scoring threats in Gerald Wallace and Raymond Felton (if you can even classify him a scoring threat? 14 ppg and like 4 turnovers per game on under 40% shooting?) and now they have 2 players in their starting lineup who are incumbent scorers and very limited on the offensive end (Raja Bell and Emeka Okafor).

This will probably improve their defense on the perimeter, but if they can't score they won't win anyway. Furthermore Boris Diaw is a solid player, but it remains to be seen if he can return to his form from a few seasons ago, I'm not sure putting him in the PF spot, simply due to impatience of being to obtain a traditional big man is the right decision.

Suns win this trade.

CATS - ive never been a fan of the trade that brought jrich to the cats in the first place because i feel that g wallace is a better player (scorer & rebounder) and essentially provided the same things at the same position... clearly with todays trade, it shows that the trade wasnt a success. the addition of bell and diaw, as well as the subtraction of jrich will make this team better defensively right away. this team needs vets like these guys to help with the development of their young core... felton, augustin, okafor, morrison, wallace... not a bad move for them i reckon.

on the surface it would seem the suns get the better end of the deal here, but if you dig a little deeper you find that may not be the case

Wallace a better scorer than Jason Richardson?

Aside from the fact that Gerald doesn't have a jump-shot and probably averages worse in all offensive categories than J-Rich, probably other than FG% because he tends to get into the lane more.

I agree this makes the Bobcats better defensively, but Sean Singletary? That guy is a waiver player and Boris Diaw is pretty washed up right now, there is a 50/50 chance that he makes an impact, but it's seemingly more likely that he doesn't.

So when it comes down to it, the trade is essentially Bell for Richardson, because you can be sure Singletary barely plays and if Diaw underperforms than he's lost in the rotation too.

That being said - let's wait to see before I completely judge them, but if I'm right, Suns win this outright. Bell is aging and on the decline anyway.

EDIT - And I forgot to mention Suns get Jared Dudley, which upgrades their bench already. He is an energy player who's cracked the rotation and played some steady minutes during his career at Charlotte. He's a young player who was a first round pick and no doubt he's gonna get to play a Leon Powe type role for Phoenix if he gets the minutes.

Now you're all missing the point here...how does JRich now playing with a defensive minded team with 3 good scorers on it affect his fantasy value to my fantasy team?

i though maybe MJ might throw us a bone and taken Larry Hughies or Kirk Hinrich with Thomas for Jrich.

Drose and Jrich would be sick to watch

Now you're all missing the point here...how does JRich now playing with a defensive minded team with 3 good scorers on it affect his fantasy value to my fantasy team?

I think he'll get more open shots should be fine.

I think everyone seems to miss the point about Terry Porter's team being a "defensive minded" team. They aren't. His philosophy includes defense, but they aren't there.

How could you possibly look at a team that starts Amare and Nash and call them defensive minded.

As David Aldridge of NBA TV said today, they give up Bell who is a great individual defender and get Richardson, but by being a "defensive minded" team, or hoping to aim towards that for the future - it's team defense as a philosophy that they need to improve, it's not individuals like Bell going out and shutting down individual players.

You need to establish a system where guys are committed to each other and playing defense for the 5 guys you have on the floor - similar to what Dallas does.

So regardless, this isn't bad for Phoenix just because Richardson isn't a strong individual defensive player.

If anything it's extremely detrimental to Charlotte because now they have no players who have scored over 20 ppg in a season. Gerald Wallace comes the closest and after him, who, Felton? As your second option.

The Bobcats are extremely weak offensively right now and Okafor is going to struggle big time as will all the Charlotte bigs with no shooters to open the floor, save Matt Caroll.

I honestly think that the bobcats got the better end of this deal they pick up 2 solid players in bell & diaw who can bring some structure to a struggling team, sure they lose j-rich who may have been their best scorer but i feel j-rich lookes better in a low end team such as the bobcats because there is nobody to compete with plus a avg of 18 points a game is not anything to rant and rave about. When he was a warrior and i followed his game a lot more and he was not anything amazing, ellis and davis would out play him time after time hell even azubuike had some games where he made more of a impact that j-rich! Sure this makes for one nice suns line up between j-rich, shaq, nash & amare its a strong team but they dont have age on their side plus j-rich has had many injury problems and i dont see him as a player who is solid enough, from where i stand this is a last ditch effort to make a impact for the suns before they all get to old and i dont see them getting very far. Anyways back to the bobcats, sure diaw has not been so great over the past few years but maybe a change in systems will change that ive always had a lot of faith in diaw and hopefully this will be the break he needs and also what ive seen from bell is he's a solid player who does his job, i realize the scoring power is lost and the bobcats are not a team that has many back ups for that but maybe we will see Felton or Morrison step up. All in all some interesting times ahead and this trade makes me actually want to watch a bobcats game!

Back
Top Bottom