If My Cards Were....

Avonc

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Cam
eBay User
456cam
If my cards were shares after the Anzac Day game my collection would be
in free fall, but as the investors say just ride it out they will recover. But you
just have to stick with them because that's what you do.
As mentioned earlier this year "it is our year" , so wouldn't it be a story now to
get to the Grand Final and win it .

It's the Anzac tradition to be pumped by the Storm in Melbourne. Maybe one year they'll let us have one in Auckland.

Anyway, it has provided the perfect build up to this weeks clash between the team that had two tackles in the opposition half vs the team that only had two completed sets. What a doozy that will be.

On a serious note, call me naive, but the thrashing didn't worry me to too much. A rookie got (badly) exposed and then the two injuries created a situation where the momentum well and truly went with the Storm who were brilliant. Whether it was 20 points or 60, it was still going to be a big loss, just a little embarrassing that they lay down and watched it all unfold instead of scrapping. Momentum is massive in the modern game and when a big team like the Storm get a big swing of it, they can be untouchable. I'd still be disappointed with a loss to the Raiders (as they will be with a loss to us).

We are not a top eight side, and there are times when you do come up against a very good team on fire as you mentioned.
But around 150 metres run in a half, so many players just went missing. It is down to how we back up this week, in the we lost just like 7 other teams over the weekend, but we need more fight in the side. I could have said a few weeks ago well at least we not the Tigers, but they are on a two game run.
With all the problems in the country and world for that matter you have to ad being a Warriors to it all 🙁

I am off to Canberra v NZ this week at Redcliffe.

I expect NZ to bounce back hard and Canberra have been awful so it might be a long afternoon !!
You just want your team to put up a good fight no matter the result. It's hard though when so many key players don't turn up in the same game.

I dunno Cam, they have put up a fight all season, and had a BAD 30 minutes. Curran has been our energiser bunny, he got injured, DWZ knocked out cold, SJ obviously lame (he did not kick all night, they sent it back to Walsh), a rookie that single-handedly cost 20 points and CHT played the last 45 minutes with a ruptured testicle.

Brendan, usually I'd be semi-confident this week, but we have no fit halfs - Ash Taylor with his dodgy hip has likely played his 1 and only game, Kodi Nikorima has Covid, SJ is clearly injured and Harris-Tavita (who has been awesome) is out for a few weeks. They have drafted in Asi from the Cows. I think your Raiders will be alright.

I dunno Cam, they have put up a fight all season, and had a BAD 30 minutes. Curran has been our energiser bunny, he got injured, DWZ knocked out cold, SJ obviously lame (he did not kick all night, they sent it back to Walsh), a rookie that single-handedly cost 20 points and CHT played the last 45 minutes with a ruptured testicle.

Brendan, usually I'd be semi-confident this week, but we have no fit halfs - Ash Taylor with his dodgy hip has likely played his 1 and only game, Kodi Nikorima has Covid, SJ is clearly injured and Harris-Tavita (who has been awesome) is out for a few weeks. They have drafted in Asi from the Cows. I think your Raiders will be alright.
Yeah they are busted poor old NZ but I am sure they still have fight, Curran is the biggest loss.

Hoping for a good game, Canberra have been underwhelming but happy with the first 55 last week until the fatigue set in and Penrith rolled through.

Commiserations bro. That game needs one of those Men in Black mind erasers. Two awful teams, some crazy calls for both sides too. Just yuck.

The difference was probably our young replacement in Asi who was superb.

Agreed. It was a good game only because it was close. The actual quality of the football was terrible. I foresee a long year, particularly for Canberra. Average calls aside, Canberra just couldn’t put the game away and that is on them. Great little stadium to watch a game from though, hopefully the Dolphins play a few there.

I expect NZ to bounce back hard and Canberra have been awful so it might be a long afternoon !!
Holy Moly that Lodge lay down Sally move in the last couple of minutes for a penalty was a disgrace.

Who in their right mind would look at that and go Yes that is a reportable offence. Not anyone I know. The bunkers on the take.

Canberra Robbed. Any guesses who I tipped?

Yeah I agree . I’ve seen plenty of late that were only penalised because a player stayed down and faked injury , many of which are soft at best .If they policed it hard and made it mandatory that any player that layed down and attracted a bunker call has to go off for 10 minutes. Would probably clean it up a bit ?

Yeah I agree . I’ve seen plenty of late that were only penalised because a player stayed down and faked injury , many of which are soft at best .If they policed it hard and made it mandatory that any player that layed down and attracted a bunker call has to go off for 10 minutes. Would probably clean it up a bit ?
I guess that is footy though hey. Sometimes you get these calls in your favour, sometimes not.

The reality is though that Canberra only have themselves to blame. I said to my die hard Kiwi mate I was at the game with that the Warriors would have scored that set anyway, Canberra seemed to stripped for numbers on both sides of the ruck.

There are two other calls in the game which I think were worse than the Lodge penalty but again, can't say they cost Canberra the game.

1 - Warriors turn the ball over on halfway in the first 5 minutes, Valemi scoops it up, busts a few tackles and was away, would have scored except as soon as the ball hit the deck, the referee had blown a stoppage for a Canberra error. Canberra reviewed, it went upstairs and was ruled in their favour, a Warriors knock on. Since when have they stopped playing an advantage until the play is truly dead? You could argue that the Warriors heard the whistle and let Valemi through but they seemed to have a fair crack at tackling him from where I was seated.

2. Murdoch-Masila gets tackled, swings a pretty decent elbow / forearm at Tapine which connects and then Tapine shoves him in the face. Penalty to NZ (and I think Aitken scores off that set) when it should have been a play the ball as two big forwards were resenting each other.

I guess that is footy though hey. Sometimes you get these calls in your favour, sometimes not.

The reality is though that Canberra only have themselves to blame. I said to my die hard Kiwi mate I was at the game with that the Warriors would have scored that set anyway, Canberra seemed to stripped for numbers on both sides of the ruck.

There are two other calls in the game which I think were worse than the Lodge penalty but again, can't say they cost Canberra the game.

1 - Warriors turn the ball over on halfway in the first 5 minutes, Valemi scoops it up, busts a few tackles and was away, would have scored except as soon as the ball hit the deck, the referee had blown a stoppage for a Canberra error. Canberra reviewed, it went upstairs and was ruled in their favour, a Warriors knock on. Since when have they stopped playing an advantage until the play is truly dead? You could argue that the Warriors heard the whistle and let Valemi through but they seemed to have a fair crack at tackling him from where I was seated.

2. Murdoch-Masila gets tackled, swings a pretty decent elbow / forearm at Tapine which connects and then Tapine shoves him in the face. Penalty to NZ (and I think Aitken scores off that set) when it should have been a play the ball as two big forwards were resenting each other.

Fair enough on points 1 & 2. For 2, I found it interesting that everybody seemed to miss that it was Papali'i's hand that raked at BMM's eye (accidentally). Tapine just got blamed. As you said, once cleared it should have been play on, but once things go up to the bunker they rarely get that outcome, which is ridiculous.

The standard of officiating is so poor and so inconsistent, and though there were a couple of grey decisions that occurred at some very key times for the Raiders, I think both teams got it bad.

As for Lodge staying down...meh. You get hit high, then that is illegal. Be more accurate. Harsh, but true of the modern game. How can a referee rule on whether a player fakes it or not as some innocuous tackle end up in concussion injuries? A mandatory 10 minute stand down for the guy is probably a good rule though. I was actually pissed that Lodge stayed down because I thought the Warriors were odds on to score that set to seal the game rather than send it to golden point. The Raiders looked down and out.

The Warriors lost their challenge at the start of the game when AFBs play of the ball in attacking territory got caught on the retreating foot of the Raider in an accident. Neither team should have been penalised for that, especially as AFB did not lose control of the ball at any stage. The Warriors conceded points on the back of it from memory, lost an attacking set and lost their challenge (and another 10 metres for reacting to the call).

Wighton could easily have been sin-binned for his illegal tackle, which now sees him miss games. (Personally I think they got it right).

There were a number of high shots that were not called (more inconsistency)

I thought Starling's forward pass was marginal live, but I haven't watched it back.

It is all swings and roundabouts though. Over a season teams end up where they belong usually. And to be fair nether team deserved that victory.

I will say that the lack of respect that the Warriors get in Aussie media is pretty rough. Even during our long winning streak a couple of years ago the narrative is always about the other team. Add to that the agitation to get Walsh and Munster to break their contracts, which is driven by a media that has a stake in the game, and the excessive penalty that was dished out to Montoya for his naughty word. The media needs a rocket from the NRL, they have way too much influence.

Last edited:
Fair enough on points 1 & 2. For 2, I found it interesting that everybody seemed to miss that it was Papali'i's hand that raked at BMM's eye (accidentally). Tapine just got blamed. As you said, once cleared it should have been play on, but once things go up to the bunker they rarely get that outcome, which is ridiculous.

The standard of officiating is so poor and so inconsistent, and though there were a couple of grey decisions that occurred at some very key times for the Raiders, I think both teams got it bad.

As for Lodge staying down...meh. You get hit high, then that is illegal. Be more accurate. Harsh, but true of the modern game. How can a referee rule on whether a player fakes it or not as some innocuous tackle end up in concussion injuries? A mandatory 10 minute stand down for the guy is probably a good rule though. I was actually pissed that Lodge stayed down because I thought the Warriors were odds on to score that set to seal the game rather than send it to golden point. The Raiders looked down and out.

The Warriors lost their challenge at the start of the game when AFBs play of the ball in attacking territory got caught on the retreating foot of the Raider in an accident. Neither team should have been penalised for that, especially as AFB did not lose control of the ball at any stage. The Warriors conceded points on the back of it from memory, lost an attacking set and lost their challenge (and another 10 metres for reacting to the call).

Wighton could easily have been sin-binned for his illegal tackle, which now sees him miss games. (Personally I think they got it right).

There were a number of high shots that were not called (more inconsistency)

I thought Starling's forward pass was marginal live, but I haven't watched it back.

It is all swings and roundabouts though. Over a season teams end up where they belong usually. And to be fair nether team deserved that victory.

I will say that the lack of respect that the Warriors get in Aussie media is pretty rough. Even during our long winning streak a couple of years ago the narrative is always about the other team. Add to that the agitation to get Walsh and Munster to break their contracts, which is driven by a media that has a stake in the game, and the excessive penalty that was dished out to Montoya for his naughty word. The media needs a rocket from the NRL, they have way too much influence.
Should of explained what I meant by fake better but had to get back to work haha. If a player stays down until time off is called and than makes a instant recovery, that’s fake . As you mentioned , a referee isn’t trained to access injury , only a doctor can do that so the player should be made to leave the field for 10 and go through the HIA process .If it’s bad enough for them to lay on the ground they need to be assessed by a trained professional. No one believes they can be laying there like they’ve been shot and than a whistle blows and all better like a under 6s match with the magic water . I think a bit of common sense needs to prevail as it’s getting out of hand .
The crusher penalty is more frequent than ever and all a defender needs to do now is be behind a ball runner for most to be called a crusher , not what the rule was intended for .
While the sharks played the worst game I’ve seen and deserved to lose , one penalty was called a crusher and wasn’t even close . A referee , 2 touchys , a bunker and 25 players on the field didn’t react . Yet a broncos player stays down holding his neck and bam .
Old saying was would you be happy if these calls decided a grand final ? If the answer is no than something needs to change asap.

Back
Top Bottom