I know why guys leave the hobby

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the sellers perspective. The price I advertise is the price until I sell out. I do however offer deals for larger purchases. With regards to Panini RRP that is correct they do have that. And any discount that may be gained. By going direct to the factory is based on that price.
The law piece above took me back to my Uni days...lol
Once again it is upto us a sellers to offer the best price and service as possible. Remember though we are not a charity and have families to feed. We pay wages, GST etc. I believe verbals are a valid business transaction (deposits req on large ones though ;) )
It does pay to shop around but as sellers we can only do what we can do. You as the buyer shop around and get the best deal that you can. Make sure it is set in concrete and you can trust the person that you are dealing with.
Sorry for the rant but support your local shops and sellers where possible.
This is a great forum but air to caution on crucifixion - suggestion that maybe a mod get involved early to investigate any allegations of impropriety so at least all the facts canbe aired.

A bit over board, but thanks Heath, lol. I think you may have misinterpeted me though, in what I was trying to get across. We all know it's morally wrong to change on a price, and of certainly, nothing is illegal here in what's happened to GoMoto.

My point/question/statement was simply about when stores (both retail and hobby, etc) get a product in which they paid say $1,000 for. They stick their markup on it, let's say $100, making it $1,100 total.

Whilst selling this product, they then get another lot in (same product, different batch), this time the market has changed, and they now pay $1,500 for it. Again, they add their $100 to it, making it $1,600 total.

What they do then, is change their asking price on their old stock, to reflect this new market-driven price, and make $500 profit on the previous stock, and their $100 markup on the new stock.

I've had discussions to a local Harvey Norman store about this, and they actually sell their older stock (same items) at a lower rate, rather than mark up the prices! I've seen identical items priced $20 apart before, all because they bought one item cheap and the other they got them later on at a higher price. They still put their markup on the items, but didnt change the old items to reflect the new stock prices. In this instance, they actually priced matched the higher one for me.

p.s. you getting 2K13 and getting back into OZ2KL?? :thumbsup:

I know a bit overboard but its good to have a base to work from.

I said it in my post earlier but it comes down to supply and demand. From a business point of view you want to make as much profit as possible. If you are offering something for $100 but customers are willing to pay $200 it makes business sense to up your prices to meet the market otherwise your margins are always going to be skinny.

In this case there is such limited supply yet huge demand that prices are rising and rising so fast that from the time the product is ordered from supplier to when it hits the shelf the going rate could have doubled.

With your Harvey Norman example its kind of a poor one because market conditions are not normal. Retail is in a huge slump. Harvey Norman for example used to have margins of around 10-12% pre GFC on goods. These days they are lucky to make 1-2% hence will bend over backwards to make any sale. You ask how I know this............ I'm a stockbroker so I follow this stuff closely :D

So whilst some consumers may think they are being taken for a ride all sellers are doing is meeting market price and demand. It will get to a point where consumers will say the price is now too high and they will start coming down. Its just basic economics.

PS Hell Yes I'm getting NBA2k13, but i'm unsure about the league. PM me and I'll let you know why.

From the sellers perspective. The price I advertise is the price until I sell out. I do however offer deals for larger purchases. With regards to Panini RRP that is correct they do have that. And any discount that may be gained. By going direct to the factory is based on that price.
The law piece above took me back to my Uni days...lol
Once again it is upto us a sellers to offer the best price and service as possible. Remember though we are not a charity and have families to feed. We pay wages, GST etc. I believe verbals are a valid business transaction (deposits req on large ones though ;) )
It does pay to shop around but as sellers we can only do what we can do. You as the buyer shop around and get the best deal that you can. Make sure it is set in concrete and you can trust the person that you are dealing with.
Sorry for the rant but support your local shops and sellers where possible.
This is a great forum but air to caution on crucifixion - suggestion that maybe a mod get involved early to investigate any allegations of impropriety so at least all the facts canbe aired.

Well said! :thumbsup:

If I have it I will always quote :)

Well I wasnt refering to you specifically. Just in general, some sellers will say will quote you but never end up doing so. even when you ask twice or three times.

Guess unlike you they dont have wages or gst to pay haha.

Maybe next time I will add a little picture to my requests:

shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

PS: when are your shops opening east side haha?

Ok this is not my opinion this is fact. Australian law fact.

In Australia when a shop displays a price for a good this technically is not a set price. If I remember my law classes at uni correctly its called an 'invitation to treat'. When you take the goods to the counter you are then technically making an offer for those goods. Generally you just accept the displayed price, pay for it and are on your way. Technically you could go and barter for a lower price on a pack of gum at your local woolworths if you want but you are more than likely are going to be told to get stuffed.

The same rule applies in this instance. The sellers get the retro in. They have an 'invitation to treat' price displayed, however in this instance because of the laws of supply and demand the customers are willing to offer a higher price. The sellers then take that higher price. Its perfectly legal.

There is a moral/ethical side though of course which is what this thread more touches upon. If the two parties had agreed to the product and a set price before hand then the Seller, whilst not legally in the wrong, has morally wronged the buyer and will probably pay for it via bad PR.

If I was GoMoto I would have agreed to the product and a set price and then put a deposit down of 10% of the total value. This then makes it a legally binding contract as consideration is now involved and the Seller would have no choice but to sell it to him at the agreed price.

So I was just trying to explain to Woobie why and how these things happen. This is not legal advice and I implore you to seek advice from a legal practitioner :p:D

You remembered correctly Heaf. And as a Woolworths employee, you are definitely going to be old to get stuffed.

Well I wasnt refering to you specifically. Just in general, some sellers will say will quote you but never end up doing so. even when you ask twice or three times.

Guess unlike you they dont have wages or gst to pay haha.

Maybe next time I will add a little picture to my requests:

shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

PS: when are your shops opening east side haha?
Always happy to take your money! Let me get WA sorted first then will look at moving East ;)

might be a little late for little ol me to weigh in....but, i will anyway... imo...most of us can understand both viewpoints, and the official second parties opinion would be benificial and courteous to say the least...... although probably not required as.....imo, he is morally wrong.

And the fact that he has not joined in on this convo, i think adds to this opinion. you are absolutely right drob(2 sides to every story) and without facts, im happy for any and every to disregard my opinion.

but as a small time collector, it leaves a bad taste. i have learnt another collecting lesson, which is my favourite part of being part of this GREAT forum. even the person burnt here has said he understands why(if i remember rightly) thanks guys

did i repeat enough of everyones previuos sentiments, :) lesson learnt for myself anyway

To the original poster, another perspective: if the case price "dropped" from the original $1200 to $50 and people rejected the product and couldn't give it away would you still have honored the deal knowing the product was worthless? Or does it only apply that the customer honors the deal if the product retains value or increases?

On another note I rang a wa based shop regarding fleer retro yesterday and was told they had 3 boxes left at $400. No problem I'll take them all now and pay straight away. "are you local?" no I'm in adelaide. "sorry need to look after the local guys first, check back tomorrow. That's fair enough but as a business owner I'm not sure why you would
Turn down upfront money ready to buy now. All it did was made me do was look elsewhere.

To the original poster, another perspective: if the case price "dropped" from the original $1200 to $50 and people rejected the product and couldn't give it away would you still have honored the deal knowing the product was worthless? Or does it only apply that the customer honors the deal if the product retains value or increases?

On another note I rang a wa based shop regarding fleer retro yesterday and was told they had 3 boxes left at $400. No problem I'll take them all now and pay straight away. "are you local?" no I'm in adelaide. "sorry need to look after the local guys first, check back tomorrow. That's fair enough but as a business owner I'm not sure why you would
Turn down upfront money ready to buy now. All it did was made me do was look elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom