How do the "Buybacks" work?

shmickmik

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Michael
I just discovered the 2012 and 2013 Lead Best of Basketball releases on youtube and was amazed at some of the crazy cards people have a chance of getting in one of these boxes.

People keep throwing around the term "Buybacks" and was just wondering exactly what that means?

For example, i'm not sure how recent this was but if i recall correctly, there was a yet ANOTHER Michael Jordan legacy box set thing with the chance of scoring a "Buyback Jordan Rookie" So are these rookies the actual rookie cards that were made during his rookie year or are they some sort of reprint?

After seeing other companies cards popping up in these Leaf Best of Basketball boxes, i'd like to know how and where the companies manage to find these cards in the first place, are they just left overs that never left the production line? I was thinking they were expired redemption cards but that would be pretty scummy to deny somebody who has the actual redemption card but it's X amount of days out of date :(

Sorry if this has been asked before but i had a quick search and couldn't find much at all, plus i tend to stick to 3 years (07-08, 08-09, 03-04) and anything released after 08 doesn't interest me at all. IF there is a chance you can pull a LeBron Excuisite from one of these boxes then i know what i am saving up for :/ haha

Thanks for reading this far haha!

Buy back is exactly what it says the company buys the card to place into their product, a lot of buy backs are bought by the company to be signed, numbered and be placed into the new release. Upper deck once did a buy back of jordan rcs for him to sign and number then re-release them in a new product.

Buybacks as indicated are previously released cards, which are released as part of a new set. Sometimes the buybacks are serially numbered or autographed. I like buybacks as they are signed usually, serially numbered, and a good chase card from that set! :)

Ohh I just ignorantly assumed that the cards were just a sneaky way for UD/Fleer/Leaf to start selling their old card designs as reprints, which would mean they wouldn't be worth anything close to the originals.

So just out of curiosity are the buyback versions generally considered superior or inferior to their original released versions?

In this case say the MJ RC? There maybe purists (Hipsters lol jks) who prefer the original untainted products whilst others love anything auto I suppose?

Sweet thanks for clearing that up for me =) These 2012 and 2013 Best of Leaf boxes look pretty interesting, although at $400+ a box it's one hell of an expensive lucky dip. From what i have seen on Youtube the boxes may contain anything from WNBA auto's to Kevin Durant Refractor RC Auto's.

Sweet thanks for clearing that up for me =) These 2012 and 2013 Best of Leaf boxes look pretty interesting, although at $400+ a box it's one hell of an expensive lucky dip. From what i have seen on Youtube the boxes may contain anything from WNBA auto's to Kevin Durant Refractor RC Auto's.

This years release has heaps better stuff, someone in the states pulled a lebron exquisite rc, and other person I believe is on this forum pulled a jordan exquisite numbers.

I just watched 2 box breaks on youtube which made me laugh a little. First one had a Larry Bird Leaf Auto then an Allen Iverson Auto RC. The next box had a WNBA Leaf Auto and the hit was a WNBA Coach Auto, somebody will be making $5 back from selling their cards on ebay haha.

Back
Top Bottom