Getting collection valued for insurance purposes

Mattstorm

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Matt
Hi all,

Hopefully someone here will know the best way to go about this. Wife wants me to get my collection valued for insurance purposes. Especially tricky I suspect being in Melbourne. Anyone know the best way to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Matt.

Diggez told me he does when he get time for a fee but he has to have the cards in hand
I have them myself insured just with home and contents be as a notable mention of them but yer if you can get a card shop that know there stuff to write you up a letter it will go far with insurers

I do my own.

I have a spreadsheet that has the year of release, brand / type of release, info about the card including set name, number, serial number (if applicable) and player name.

I then have a column with value, generally based on a bit of research and knowledge of the hobby.

I am slowly taking pictures or scanning, front and back of every card I have.

Without that kind of info, you will find it very hard to get specific cover that is more than standard home and contents.

I have extra cover (up to 30k I think) but even that falls well short of my collections value.

I do my own.

I have a spreadsheet that has the year of release, brand / type of release, info about the card including set name, number, serial number (if applicable) and player name.

I then have a column with value, generally based on a bit of research and knowledge of the hobby.

I am slowly taking pictures or scanning, front and back of every card I have.

Without that kind of info, you will find it very hard to get specific cover that is more than standard home and contents.

I have extra cover (up to 30k I think) but even that falls well short of my collections value.
You have $30.000 00 worth Of Raiders cards.You have a problem. 😉👍

Insurance is problematic as most companies who will insure collections will only do so if they have been assessed by a Licensed Valuer, who then charges a % of the value of the collection as their fee (and I've heard this can be as high as 15-20%!) You are better off having the collection, if it is significant, secured in a safe or vault. I've been collecting Cricket Cards for 30+ years & have scanned (Front & Rev of each card) my entire collection >40 Albums housing cards from 1880's to 2000's + other Card paraphernalia (Uncut Sheets, Commercial Albums, Boxes, Promo pieces, etc.) and have it chronologically databased and available digitally. The collection is stored in a locked 2 Door cabinet inside a commercial monitored Storage facility, which was the best I could do - I definitely could not afford to have it valued and insured!

Insurance is very problematic with card collections as they need to be very well documented and photographed etc and your home and contents insurer will raise ur premiums accordingly and in todays market that’s super expensive. I have a friend whose collection is probably valued, we all value different as well same as everybody’s mint condition cards vary dramatically lol. Anyway their collection would be easy half a million no kidding, and his insurer gave premium quote that was just too crazy to do. Rang mate and asked him about his insurance attempt and he said back when he did they wanted to charge him 30% of total card collection to value it, he said when he did this was roughly 300k so they wanted $30k to value it, and then wanted 10% of valued collection as yearly fee to insure so again that would have been another $30k per year just crazy for everyday people like us. Plus I’m sure we are all the same my collection to me is priceless and I have no intention to sell, will enjoy them till the end. Damn I hope that’s a long time haha.

also to protect your collection especially if there in folders/sleeves etc the heat from fire would/will melt the plastic into/onto the cards making them useless unless you had some super duper heat/fire resistant safe which again becomes cost prohibitive As most of us have more then just a folder or 2 so size n cost again crazy. Also be safe in regards to silverfish getting into ur collection especially if you store in lots of cardboard storage boxes and also cardboard draws in any moisture in the air, best way is in hard plastic card cases which I personally favour. I also put some moth balls/camophere protection placed in and around my collection. The camophere is a softer smell compared to moth balls which has a strong smell. Also if you have had your collection a long time check your old sleeves as some where not of great quality and any exposure to over hot conditions you may find cards have stuck to the sleeves and removing them from these sleeves you may find they have stuck and will be hard if not impossible to remove without damaging some cards which can even if it only damages one or couple cards in set can then be hard to find and replace that card.

always when/if possible stand your folders up not lying down on top of each other as undue weight can also create the same environment for cards to stick. Don’t overload folders with too many sleeves also try n use smaller sized folders holding less sleeves.
be careful with dust getting into the top of folders and working into sleeves with the cards, my mate places cardboard on top of folders to stop this, but if you have nice glass door cabinets there a lot safer from dust but still be wary. Our collections have consumed a lot of hours/days/weeks/years and lifetimes to compile so do all you can to safeguard them and the memories they give you. Elastic bands on cards are a Nono also, they indent cards and if left for years will dry out n stick to cards and damage them believe it or not but furry hair bands work better lol. But again card cases are the best, see thru, strong fairly water resistant, stackable etc they are the best option also place a band or something around case as I have learnt nothing worse then picking up and bottom slides out and ur picking up cards lol.

plus im sure it’s not the case, but at moment my missus thinks my collection is just crap cardboard n happy for her to continue that thinking if we ever split up, lol. I already have my collection in my will in its entirety for my son with a detailed spreadsheet (working on all the time) on what each folder/set, spares etc, etc and what I valued them at again we are all different with values etc. I don’t want my brother getting his grubby hands on my cards, being an only child my son there All his, plus have told my son if his uncle turns up to lock the study door lol.

In some of the responses I don’t think I would feel comfortable giving my entire card collection in whole or part to anyone plus the logistics involved in this would be crazy but we are all different. Plus eBay isn’t really a truely overall reliable guide for card prices as everybody seems to think there cards are mint which you can see there not and the prices they want are just unrealistic but you will always get someone to buy them and this just makes the card market overinflated. Covid was probably one of the worst things to happen as lots of part time collectors got into the market and now think they all own that million dollar card or set lol. Where as true collectors know there is only two important factors, card condition/reasonable price. I couldn’t imagine scanning every card I own even if I did it by sleeves etc it would drives me crazy but sounds great idea.

have probably got a bit off course but maintaining our collections affects the original question you asked.
if anybody has some smart card storage etc ideas/tips please share please.
hope some of my thoughts etc help it’s a very tricky but very self rewarding game this card collection caper.

Last edited:
Hope the Mrs doesn't drop by this site and read your post. She'd want it valued immediately - after you've done some explaining.
Lol, no missus and I are quite happy but was just emphasising that your collection could become part of any assets wasnt making any assumptions about people’s relationships so if it seem I did I do apologise completely in every way.

You have $30.000 00 worth Of Raiders cards.You have a problem. 😉👍
That’s awesome, well done, my team I might as well flick them around in the sky, maybe not my older cards but last couple years lol
dragons are painful sorry but as fan its hard to watch them play, same story for years they win games they shouldn’t and lose games they should win. But dragons fan till death either I die or they kill me way they play, lmao.

That’s awesome, well done, my team I might as well flick them around in the sky, maybe not my older cards but last couple years lol
dragons are painful sorry but as fan its hard to watch them play, same story for years they win games they shouldn’t and lose games they should win. But dragons fan till death either I die or they kill me way they play, lmao.
Dragons 4 life.🙂

Positive with average form is that I have never seen cards on Dragons prices so low. Once upon a time, Dragons were very sought after, you would be cheering if you got them in a break or as a hit from a box.

I agree that the older Dragons cards will never diminish in value, I have all of the Immortal Signatures.

Positive with average form is that I have never seen cards on Dragons prices so low. Once upon a time, Dragons were very sought after, you would be cheering if you got them in a break or as a hit from a box.

I agree that the older Dragons cards will never diminish in value, I have all of the Immortal Signatures.
Stop it.I can't take anymore. 😉

Back
Top Bottom