Footy Stars 2024

JCam06

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Josh
Thought i'd get this thread kicked off as we hopefully get closer to some release details from select, I reckon last year select absolutely nailed footy stars having the retail and hobby versions and i hope to see a similar set up this year! Write down below what your hoping to see from footy stars this year or even any rumours you hear about the release,
Cheers Josh

Some on card signatures in packs would be nice . The commons to be actual photos like the 1994 set too. Have always wanted them to do what Scanlens did yrs ago and produce the set in ladder order from the previous yr.

Some on card signatures in packs would be nice . The commons to be actual photos like the 1994 set too. Have always wanted them to do what Scanlens did yrs ago and produce the set in ladder order from the previous yr.
This. The 1994 set is still my favourite by far. I also still really like the simplicity of the gold cards and on card sigs. I'd be happy with an exact copy to be honest.

Follow the American model but control the production numbers without flooding and keep packaging differently. E.G 12 24 48 96 Packets. Megaboxes,rack packs, Album cards need to come back exclusive inserts for each type.
Keep us all collecting ,but fit everyones budget. 2011 had the star signatures. Maybe as Absti mentioned its time to have a sig only available in boxes ,but have a film on the top to protect. Have every item including the Kmart release available to SCC even if they have to give you a coupon or code from select to show to kmart before you can buy from them.

Have one card from another sport like NRL ,and give them the rights to get a comparative one from us maybe call it Exchange to promote trading and cross promotion.
This might be a bit tricky according to licenses though..

-Dump the cardboard album that no one wants and stop the price creep on the better quality album unless it has a stellar card included
-Promote a redemption process whereby select send agents to each state and charge a fee to redeem all past releases and this one, while having a range of thier vault card and accessories on hand as well to cut down on our post and thier frustration that red cards aren't coming in .
-Consider a box release for Kmart and make the 1:12 Pink at least numbered, potentially have a color parallel Prizm like series where there are 3-5 other colours either 1:24 or 1:36 and a black 1:72
for those who miss prestige.

Something like this- inserts are just examples of design am open to new cards of course.

K-Mart/AFL store ?- Essential 1:6. 4 Types Color paralel all numbered, Numbered Burst 1:12 Instant win 1:144 An insert sneak preview of a Series 2 sketch outline card thats coming early design limited and numbered (part of me thinks this is great,the other part thinks it takes away from some of the surprise release day ,but still only one series 2 insert.
Jumbo /Hobby -Spectrum,Carbon,Platinum predictor, etc Virtuoso/Showstopper or something like it. Instant win 1:108 anything signed..
Stars newsagent-Paralell,Milestone,Classified ,numbers,gold predictors,On card auto 2 to a case. Instant win 1;144 more packets,a box, Points to spend with select stuff like that.

Last edited:
I'd be happy with improved Hobby boxes and an SCC allocation of the Kmart exclusives. Trying to get hold of them last year was Select's version of the Hunger Games.

I'd be happy with improved Hobby boxes and an SCC allocation of the Kmart exclusives. Trying to get hold of them last year was Select's version of the Hunger Games.
100% agree, there was so much value in hobby last year, all they need to do is add/change a couple different inserts, possibly add an on card auto that you can get straight from packs, and once again you've got a great value series 1 release! I do feel however if they do look to add new inserts and signatures, they'll be stuffing all of that into one hobby release and just leave retail pretty standard like previous years

And with the kmart exclusives, i feel as if they want to make it seem as if everyone's got a fair chance at getting your hands on them whether your an scc member or not, people without or who didn't get accepted into SCC already feel as if they're missing out on releases when bots buy out boxes in 15 seconds so this is kind of an even way of them getting a go at a limited series, but then on the other hand you've got SCC members paying $100 a year, expecting to be able to get their hands on limited releases, bit of a tough one.....

This. The 1994 set is still my favourite by far. I also still really like the simplicity of the gold cards and on card sigs. I'd be happy with an exact copy to be honest.
I think they were similar to Topps stadium club no border and a nice sharp clean photo . Easily the best common card ever produced and very collectible will stand the test of time that set.

100% agree, there was so much value in hobby last year, all they need to do is add/change a couple different inserts, possibly add an on card auto that you can get straight from packs, and once again you've got a great value series 1 release! I do feel however if they do look to add new inserts and signatures, they'll be stuffing all of that into one hobby release and just leave retail pretty standard like previous years

And with the kmart exclusives, i feel as if they want to make it seem as if everyone's got a fair chance at getting your hands on them whether your an scc member or not, people without or who didn't get accepted into SCC already feel as if they're missing out on releases when bots buy out boxes in 15 seconds so this is kind of an even way of them getting a go at a limited series, but then on the other hand you've got SCC members paying $100 a year, expecting to be able to get their hands on limited releases, bit of a tough one.....

It's not the thread for it but is SCC that difficult to obtain? New applications were available for around 20 minutes and the two people I knew who applied - one who totally forgot to renew in the renewal period and a brand new applicant - were approved by Select within 24 hours.

FWIW I don't think SCC provides any value for Footy Stars as is - even the sealed case they exclusively offered SCC members last year would likely be cheaper to purchase from your local hobby store, particularly if you go in and have a chat with them. Perhaps access to an improved hobby product would be a way to rectify this.

Would be great to see a numbered card in the style of '94 this year. Missed opportunity if they don't in my opinion.
100% agree! I do think we'll see some sort of a throwback retro card, similar to hall of fame with legacy where it's a numbered box hit insert

Was thinking re commons how to make them relevant again. Perhaps during the yr a random player or players are picked and collectors can send in a common exchanged for another limited card . Limited to one card per collector or until numbers are exhausted . A signature of the player on the new card would be preferable. Would need players to agree of course to it. But a signed common similar to the 94’s would be very collectible.

I think they were similar to Topps stadium club no border and a nice sharp clean photo . Easily the best common card ever produced and very collectible will stand the test of time that set.

Imagine a release with cards/imagery like this....... instead of Yankee Stadium for AFL having the MCG or SCG or Adelaide Oval in the background!

1706767712702.png

I mean this image for Franklin would do the job.

1706767812016.png

I agree on the retro 94 throwback. Have been saying it for years. I’m not sure how, but something needs to be done. I’m thinking more like a Brilliance type of release, commons are numbered /75 and the golds /50. Maybe throw in sigs /35. That would be amazing.

I think that would work better than getting included in Footy Stars because a lot of collectors of Footy Stars wouldn’t remember 1994, some weren’t even born 😂

Last edited:
The Kmart release was ridiculously hard to find last year. I checked in at Kmart 40-50 times (I drive past one on my way to work, and work right near another store so it's not as crazy as it sounds!) and found the Kmart starter packs in stock once out of all of those visits, and there were only 6 left in stock.

I agree that it would be great to get a numbered variant in the starter pack exclusive cards (which last year were the acetate essentials). TLA do this well with numbered exclusive cards in their NRL/cricket starter packs.

Hobby was a brilliant series one release and I'd be very happy to see an increased print run this year. Maybe they could produce three platinum BPs per team instead to two, or introduce another level of instant wins offering discount codes and free card armour etc.

I agree on the retro 94 throwback. Have been saying it for years. I’m not sure how, but something needs to be done. I’m thinking more like a Brilliance type of release, commons are numbered /75 and the golds /50. Maybe throw in sigs /35. That would be amazing.

I think that would work better than getting included in Footy Stars because a lot of collectors of Footy Stars wouldn’t remember 1994, some weren’t even born 😂
Yep bring back Cazaly classics aswell

Back
Top Bottom