Footy card sales tanking ?

folks - card collecting prices will go up and down - stock markrt is down 11% this year and once interest rates go up (they will as have already gone up 3 times in UK and twicce in USA with more to come) then house prices will drop some experts saying 15% over next 18 months - but luke is right if something is rare /.obscure then prices will stay up rare art is on the rise but you need millions for that - with covid controls basically over people have money to spend on other things eg cruising has opened up again -

Fascinated to watch this thread evolve over the next few weeks on the back of an upcoming release.

I agree with alot of the great comments already posted so fascinated to watch how much comes true as we move into the hobby card releases specifically.

Interesting to see people's thoughts here 2 releases and a few months later.

Breaks artificially holding up the market for boxes, singles from Prestige much harder to shift.

Optimum 2 will be very interesting. Though I suspect a Daicos DPS will be enough to support the market.

Interesting to see people's thoughts here 2 releases and a few months later.

Breaks artificially holding up the market for boxes, singles from Prestige much harder to shift.

Optimum 2 will be very interesting. Though I suspect a Daicos DPS will be enough to support the market.

Agree that Daicos DPS (and the draft class in general) will hold up Optimum 2.

Sadly I suspect Select is just going to dish up a similar set to 2021, which for the most part was a mess of short prints you could barely give away.

Think were definitely going through a period of down casting in the market, there seams to be bargains spread through out the land
Last night watched a S.Walsh supremacy base go for just $20/ Dusty 21' green for $400 and the last few weeks have throw up plenty of eyebrow raising prices.
X mas around the corner/ cost of goods / house hold bills going up always contribute, but i think were seeing some boys letting some cards go and taking the price they can get for there mid tier cards.
Regardless of a down market,were still in a positive position and enjoyment of our hobby is riding high.

I am trying to grab all the Sam Walsh Black Classifieds /60 i can find!

Regardless of sport, there is bargains everywhere atm all around the world

I am trying to grab all the Sam Walsh Black Classifieds /60 i can find!

Regardless of sport, there is bargains everywhere atm all around the world
agree mate, i've been going crazy over at COMC buying up
been putting in low ball offers on cards and to my joy, getting "offer accepted" coming back quick smart

agree mate, i've been going crazy over at COMC buying up
been putting in low ball offers on cards and to my joy, getting "offer accepted" coming back quick smart

I have been trying that on some Giddey RPAs, and getting stonewalled....but the comps don't lie.

The trend is down and soon people will accept these offers.

Dusty cards have halved in value overnight. No idea why. Cards I couldnt get for under a K for the last 5 years are now going for under $500

Definitely quite a big dip over the last few months in particular. However there have been some high prices on some vintage and especially some of the higher end cards from the 90’s and 00’s. 96 HOF Signature cards snap bought at $3k in the last week alone.

Definitely quite a big dip over the last few months in particular. However there have been some high prices on some vintage and especially some of the higher end cards from the 90’s and 00’s. 96 HOF Signature cards snap bought at $3k in the last week alone.

I wonder how the breaks are going. Seems like people are still going in them instead of just buying the cheap cards

This is my opinion only, but card prices fluctuate for a few reasons. Take Dusty for example, a Tigers Dynasty plus Dusty dominating on the big stage and a huge cult following all contributed to his massive popularity in the hobby. The Tigers collectors were all up and about during 2017-2021. Dusty has dropped off his form, Tigers not winning grand finals, and that's just Dusty cards, all collectors can travel again (covid), cost of living rising, Christmas etc, it really shouldn't be any surprise to anyone that cards are dropping in value. Saturation in the market this year and it's currently not footy season too, all factors. Between now and March is the time to buy up. I don't think they'll ever hit a rock bottom as such, but probably wont hit the high of peak collecting like it was 12-24 months ago either.

This is my opinion only, but card prices fluctuate for a few reasons. Take Dusty for example, a Tigers Dynasty plus Dusty dominating on the big stage and a huge cult following all contributed to his massive popularity in the hobby. The Tigers collectors were all up and about during 2017-2021. Dusty has dropped off his form, Tigers not winning grand finals, and that's just Dusty cards, all collectors can travel again (covid), cost of living rising, Christmas etc, it really shouldn't be any surprise to anyone that cards are dropping in value. Saturation in the market this year and it's currently not footy season too, all factors. Between now and March is the time to buy up. I don't think they'll ever hit a rock bottom as such, but probably wont hit the high of peak collecting like it was 12-24 months ago either.

This is common of the worldwide markets.

All the same things. I am going to use now to get some of the things i really wanted whilst it keeps dropping and wait for the next boom ;)

Dusty cards have halved in value overnight. No idea why. Cards I couldnt get for under a K for the last 5 years are now going for under $500
yep, i'm seeing the exact same thing
Personally his market has been flooded in the last few years, with to many high end/ low numbered cards
with many of them being out of reach to your average punter (unless pulled from a pack) there is still a mental barrier to drop $1k/2k/3k++ on a single card and the economical conditions are just not there.
his 22' season was totally curtailed with injury and personal off field problems, this played a part in his card prices as well
He's also not getting any younger..
but to see the Walsh go for just $20 last nite was a eye opener
Walsh-supremacy base # 7/135
*super popular high end release
*a top 5 most collected/popular player in the hobby
and it goes for just $20 !!

yep, i'm seeing the exact same thing
Personally his market has been flooded in the last few years, with to many high end/ low numbered cards
with many of them being out of reach to your average punter (unless pulled from a pack) there is still a mental barrier to drop $1k/2k/3k++ on a single card and the economical conditions are just not there.
his 22' season was totally curtailed with injury and personal off field problems, this played a part in his card prices as well
He's also not getting any younger..
but to see the Walsh go for just $20 last nite was a eye opener
Walsh-supremacy base # 7/135
*super popular high end release
*a top 5 most collected/popular player in the hobby
and it goes for just $20 !!
the $15 postage probably put people off on that one, i know personally high postage like that makes me pass unless its something i really want

Dusty is the Rhyss Mathieson of AFL cards (the barometer in case you didn't pick that one up)

This is the greatest time in the hobby for 2+ years. Card market is down. Buy what you need.

Swings and cycles people just likes property - Quality purchases (Cards or property) will always be quality, but nothing is immune to market swings.

I'm finally getting my hands on some Richmond PC that have just been too high to consider buying. Still stupid high, just not stupid stupid high.

Basketball has plunged, pokemon is in ample stock and Marvel cards are up and down.. AFL card market is no different.

There will be a rebound but likely tied more to global economic factors versus seasonal. Life is expensive right now and it aint getting any cheaper.

Very happy to see this as someone who plays the long game with sealed wax.

Agree that Daicos DPS (and the draft class in general) will hold up Optimum 2.

Sadly I suspect Select is just going to dish up a similar set to 2021, which for the most part was a mess of short prints you could barely give away.
think you were half right..
but it was Daicos and the surprise FF black that held up optimum

Back
Top Bottom