Double standards in NRL?

axeman23

OzCardTrader
Seems funny to me that a week after Danny Buderis is rubbed out for 6 matches for a lifting tackle with no injury inflicted, Sam Thaiday doesn't get cited by the ref or penalized by the review commitee for another lifting tackle. You can say Buderis's tackle looked worse coz the guy seemed to land on his head, but in both incidences the tackled player got up fine and walked away, and one got 6 weeks while the other got nothing... I mean there seemed to be no intent in either, and thought both only deserved a week or 2 out, but if the rules state past the horizontal is illegal, well that's it IMO! Increase the penalty if the tackled player is injured, but if you break the "past the horizontal" rule, it should be a mandatory suspension. Danny's gotta be a bit cut now after everyone saying his has to get a few weeks as a "deterrent" to others...

Dannys tackle landed the other player on a angle close to his neck.

Thaidays tackle landed the other player flat on his back.

Dannys tackle landed the other player on a angle close to his neck.

Thaidays tackle landed the other player flat on his back.

Well, equally the player struggling in the tackle could've contributed to Buderis's going wrong, but no doubt the end position of Buderis's tackle looked worse. But my point is, once you take the player past the horizontal, you've got gravity working against you and do lose a degree of control that you had before you took the tackled person past that point... I mean, there's often very little difference in the position of 2 tackles, but one can have much worse consequences than the other. So in saying the guy Danny could've broken his neck, equally the guy Sam tackled could've damaged his spine, just a bit lower. I mean if both went wrong to the worst degree, would the guy who Sam tackled be thinking "At least I can turn my head to look around while I'm in the wheel-chair"? Not having a go at your opinion, but the main point as I understand it was that Danny got that size suspension as a "deterent" measure, not as a measure of the damage inflicted. They both went over the horizontal, therefore they both broke the rules, and should both recieve a minimum suspension, maybe a game or 2. It would let you know the rules are there to be enforced, but players have a guide as to what offence constitutes what penalty...

I agree and Disagree with a lot of the rules and punishments that are handed out. In saying that.....WHEN WILL THE PLAYER LEARN. HOW MANY TIMES DOES IT NEED TO BE SAID.....DONT LIFT IN TACKLES. The players/fans complain about the punishments handed out, but the rules couldnt be clearer. Buderis deserved the time he got and Sam probably should have got some too....

Anyone who get suspended for a lifting tackles deserves everything they get and the others are just lucky!!

Well I had an answer but DVS has enlightened me! lol. Alot of the decisions this season have been just plain crap. No consistency from referees with their calls, very poor effort overall by the refs. The rule is lifting past the horizontal, they both did it, they both deserve a week or two because it was unintensional. Giving a player 6 weeks to set an example is BS. Why should any one player be singled out to be an example when the offense is no worse than any preceeding offense. But with what DVS said, I agree, there's no excuse! What they should do is increase the penalty for each offense committed. Add a day for every successive offense committed for lifting in a tackle. They'll soon stop doing it when the count gets up to 40-50 days! :lol:

I thought the Buderis lifting tackle looked A LOT worse (JMHO) but I also must say I am surprised Thaiday got NOTHING :shock:

I thought 1 or 2 weeks for sure :confused:

Yep, I agree with Richo. Buderus got what the tackle deserved (and I'm a Newcastle fan) - that was just dangerous.

Thaiday's tackle should have at least been a grade 1 if not grade 2 - bloody Brisbane :p

the tackle didn't look that good i'll admit (i'm an avid Broncos supporter) but maybe the fact that Thaiday let go early and the player more so fell into the position he landed worked in Thaiday's favour?? the Broncos are taught to let go as early as possible when they feel the tackle may be 'going wrong'??

so i dunno. i will agree that there has been no consistency in the judicial system this year, but to argue the point that the Broncos have a double standard to the rest of the league is a bit far fetched. it's more so the other way around IMO?? just look at any big judicial decisions involving a NSW player leading into an Origin series....they always seem to get off very lightly. again....IMO!!

Back
Top Bottom