Diet Coke : My Poison - A search for truth and a healthier life

Wow what a huge read... there was 2 hours spent on that!! I come from a very obese family and about 3 years ago I saw a sight I just wasn't happy with. Jumped on the scales and it was 99.8 and I #hit myself. Started me on a massive life change and one of the biggest things was I was a 2litre + coke drinker a day also. Always had an excuse as I was in excavation and the work was long and hard 60+ hours a week but I knew things had to change.

Basically all I changed in the first year was coke for water... I felt great and dropped 20kg's from that one little thing! Once I felt great from that I just progressed into more healthy food and activities and it is amazing how much your better you feel it is basically indescribable and now I am at the point that any binge on anything bad leaves me feeling ridiculously terrible!!

From what I read a lot of people had there eyes opened by this thread whether they changed or not is irrelevant as long term just knowing will more than likely change the path you are heading on, and completely felt the need to chuck in my little story.

down 20kg mate just from that change, brilliant! thanks for adding your story sounds like you made some great changes!

it's pretty great, once you cut out a lot of crap and start fine tuning what goes in your mouth you can be aware of certain things that cause irritation to your body and systems. i'm researching health and nutrition with a forward thinking to population health now, it's totally changed the career path I want to take.

all the best!

I have cut right back on my soft drink intake from April onwards this year ... mainly because I had a health check up at work that month and the nurse said my cholesterol was edging into the unhealthy region, and my weight was in the overweight category on the BMI.

So I just drank water for a few months and have only had one or two of Pepsis a month since then. Prior to this I was having a 600ml every weekday and often another 355ml can on top of that.

I also stopped bringing my credit and eftpos cards to work so I couldn't buy a dodgy lunch - which I did pretty much every day previously. Instead I bring a sandwich, a couple of pieces of fruit and some raw nuts.

End result, I've gone from 84kgs to 71! Feeling miles better about my body, fitter, more energy, doing a heap more walking ... of course it's not totally down to cutting out soft drinks, but doing that was definitely the catalyst which snowballed into the greatly improved position I'm in now.

Needless to say my BMI is now fine ... I haven't had another cholesterol check, but will do that at some stage and I'm sure it'll be fine as well.

Moral - this thread is awesome, and quit soft drinks!

I have cut right back on my soft drink intake from April onwards this year ... mainly because I had a health check up at work that month and the nurse said my cholesterol was edging into the unhealthy region, and my weight was in the overweight category on the BMI.

So I just drank water for a few months and have only had one or two of Pepsis a month since then. Prior to this I was having a 600ml every weekday and often another 355ml can on top of that.

I also stopped bringing my credit and eftpos cards to work so I couldn't buy a dodgy lunch - which I did pretty much every day previously. Instead I bring a sandwich, a couple of pieces of fruit and some raw nuts.

End result, I've gone from 84kgs to 71! Feeling miles better about my body, fitter, more energy, doing a heap more walking ... of course it's not totally down to cutting out soft drinks, but doing that was definitely the catalyst which snowballed into the greatly improved position I'm in now.

Needless to say my BMI is now fine ... I haven't had another cholesterol check, but will do that at some stage and I'm sure it'll be fine as well.

Moral - this thread is awesome, and quit soft drinks!
Its so amazing how 1 small change continues on into other aspects of your health, great story and great work!

It still blows me away how my health change all started with cutting out the soft drink it seems so insignificant when you are having it, but its so not the case!

Matt, just read your original post.
How are you doing now??

I have no story like yours, nothing to add really except I know for a fact a woman in Invercargill, NZ died from drinking too much coke. http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/...drinking-10-liters-coke-day-coroner-says.html

10 litres is insane. Our kids are pretty strict water kids, fizzy or coke as a treat and they don't really like coke so we're lucky I guess.

Hope it's all going well for you..

Had my last coke 4th jan, had 2 fanta on the 9th with no softdrinks since.

Use to drink 2-4+ litres of coke a day without even trying.

Last year was 180kgs, not that surprising really. Was 169kg last week. Hopefully i can stay off the products

Had terrible head aches the first week and a bit after quitting

Last year was 180kgs, not that surprising really. Was 169kg last week. Hopefully i can stay off the products

Great stuff mate,should give you a incentive to keep going

I switched from normal Coke to Diet Coke/ Coke Zero as well many years ago and since lost a lot of a weight and lately come to the realization that just because it's sugar free doesn't make it a healthy option.

Then came along energy drinks, shit they have to be a lot worse then your standard can of Coke. I'm a sucker for a can of monster/V etc. during work hours and on the weekend.

Since I'm actively trying to quit going weekend without one before falling back into old ways.

Keep carrying on like that and you'll be changing your name to littlerob soon! Good luck to you and the other guys going through similar stuff.

Back
Top Bottom