Card Grading Question

cantonesecannonball

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Damien
I have kept some vintage cards and was wondering if they are yellow in colour which they should be but all the other factors such as centering , corners etc stay the same will this affect it if it goes to grading. Im sure the ones i have kept would get 9 or higher in grading.
Thanks any help would be appreciated

Ultimately yes, any discoloration will account to points being deducted. If the edges are showing signs of yellowing, they will be bumped down in points for that specific grade section.
If the surface has any discoloration or fading/staining/greasy prints to images.. same thing applies.

You may be lucky and still get a nice set of sub grade points depending on how severe or not the discoloration areas are.✌

How bad is the yellowing? Is it uniform?

This is a Jordan rc that was graded overall 9.5 with 10 for the surface;

17784b_lg.jpeg

You cant prevent yellowing. It will happen with age as well. It's uniform. I will see how it goes thanks for everyone's advice
you can prevent it. thats why we have cards well over 50 years without discoloration...alot of my cards from the 90s have zero yellowing.
you have to store them in cool/dark conditions, preferably airtight. handling the card directly also increases the chances.

Last edited:
Exactly, if you keep cards stored away from heat, light and keep airtight, there shouldn't be a problem with getting discoloration issues. Also as said above by sgt. Pepper, constant handling with bare hands will cause damage.

you can prevent it. thats why you have cards well over 50 years without discoloration...alot of my cards from the 90s have zero yellowing.
you have to store them in cool/dark conditions, preferably airtight. handling the card directly also increases the chances.

I would really love to see some examples! Photos on the net without any sort of stock comparison or 20% grey chart could very well (and almost likely) to be automatic level adjustment by either the digital camera or software. Paper yellows primarily because of oxygen and the cheap paper used in most cards pre 1990's is even more susceptible.

It would be fascinated to see the earliest example of a BGS or PSA card slabbed to see what sort of effect their sealing process has.

Does anyone recommend to use psa or beckett grading sites for submissions or is it best to deal with them directly? Insurance cost is what I am worried about cause they can vary a lot with grade you get also.

I would really love to see some examples! Photos on the net without any sort of stock comparison or 20% grey chart could very well (and almost likely) to be automatic level adjustment by either the digital camera or software. Paper yellows primarily because of oxygen and the cheap paper used in most cards pre 1990's is even more susceptible.

It would be fascinated to see the earliest example of a BGS or PSA card slabbed to see what sort of effect their sealing process has.
thats why i mentioned storing them airtight. but yes, all cards will discolor with age if theyre just kept in a folder on your shelf.
you must own an older card without yellowing, to see an example?

G’day,
I have recently became hooked on collected cards ( manly NBA). I am in no rush to sell any of them but I was thinking of grading a few. I did spend a small fortune on the Shaquille O’Neal redemption card. I thought of grading this card in particular but when I spoke to Cherry collectibles, they say it did not hold much value. However I have seen these cards online go for anywhere between 200 and 500 ( graded) what is everyone’s thoughts?

The other card I have is the Michael Jordan ironic fleer slam dunk card from 1990.

G’day,
I have recently became hooked on collected cards ( manly NBA). I am in no rush to sell any of them but I was thinking of grading a few. I did spend a small fortune on the Shaquille O’Neal redemption card. I thought of grading this card in particular but when I spoke to Cherry collectibles, they say it did not hold much value. However I have seen these cards online go for anywhere between 200 and 500 ( graded) what is everyone’s thoughts?

The other card I have is the Michael Jordan ironic fleer slam dunk card from 1990.

Post some pics if you can mate. Might give us a better idea and we can point you in the right direction

G’day,

the shaq would only go as high as that if it graded 10. the problem with grading base cards is even if they come back a 10, you may not make back the amount you spent to get them graded...unless i was 100% sure i was getting a 10, i would never grade a card worth only a few bucks. of course thats only relevant if youre looking to sell. if its just for a PC, then it dont matter anyway.

Last edited:
Attached are both the O’Neal and Jordan cards and I have a kobe bryant card also. Any input would be great.

66983475-D9B9-433F-9675-971BD9B3885A.png

8904F72F-AB89-4AA1-A0E7-9C1F356F9571.jpeg

70773BA7-96B1-4B4F-9DAA-828FE32C8982.jpeg

The Shaq if it's in good condition is definitely worth grading and sells well for sure.
MJ while its an awesome card is readily available and doesn't sell too well.
Kobe again while its a nice card youd be wasting $ on grading

The Shaq if it's in good condition is definitely worth grading and sells well for sure.
MJ while its an awesome card is readily available and doesn't sell too well.
Kobe again while its a nice card youd be wasting $ on grading

thanks for your reply. The Shaq card is in mint condition. Not sure why cherry collectibles states it did not hold much value. My other worry would be getting rating below 9.

Shaq BGS 9.5 graded goes for $200usd so I'd send it away IF it looks like good corners, surface etc.

Also would be good if you just want to keep it and have slabbed

shaq.JPG

Thanks for all the reply’s. Yeah it’s in very good nick. Corners are perfect and surface as well, ( to me anyway not sure how they grade them). I am assuming Beckett is the way to go? Would I have to order online and send it directly to the US myself?

Thanks for all the reply’s. Yeah it’s in very good nick. Corners are perfect and surface as well, ( to me anyway not sure how they grade them). I am assuming Beckett is the way to go? Would I have to order online and send it directly to the US myself?

Cherry does a great simple BGS service so I’m not sure why they didn’t offer it to you. Check out their site, fill in the paperwork and mail it in or drop it in I guess if you’re local.

Back
Top Bottom