Buying a New TV - Whats better Plasma or LED

Rodman91

Banned User
Real Name
Matt
Looking at buying a new TV

It has to be Full HD, Smart TV and 3D. looking ar around 42 to 50" in size

Whats better Plasma or LED as i notice the Samsung Plasma is $300 to $400 hundred cheaper than the exact same model LED version

I mainly watch TV\movies\hook laptop up to it but might hook the xbox up to it.

Any help would be great as i have read all over the net and some say they are the same and some say Plasma is better and others say LED is better.

Yeah i have a LG at the moment new have any issue

I think i will go either LG or Samsung just need to work out the size i want

With LG 3d tv's the added bonus is that you can errrrrr take some 3d glasses from the cinema and use them perfectly fine with your tv.
The guys in the cinema usually throw them out after use anyway so just put some in ya pocket.

LED is a brighter picture by far IMO, but this will depend on your room size and lighting setup.

If you can wait for them, check out 4k tv's. 1980/1080....pfffft how about 4000/2000 yeah buddy.

PLASMA:
- Better black levels and picture
- Faster latency (operates at around 600Hz)
- better for games due to the response of the tv
- work great in dark rooms, not so well in rooms that have much light.
- better viewing angles
- heavier than LCD (LED lit)
- Good brand will not have burn in these days.
- uses slightly more power
- Cheaper

LCD (LED LIT):
- Two types of back lighting (edge and full array). Full array is better as LEDs are spread behind the screen. however these area dying breed due to thickness of TV. Edge lit (LED around the sides) is what most of them use now.
- Not as good black levels.
- Works in well lite rooms.
- Brighter colours (but this is not natural lol) You need to calibrate it to get it to look natural.
- Slower Latency (operate at 100Hz to 240Hz, with sub motion for latest models of 600Hz to 800Hz). Personally I turn the mation crap off as it makes everything look like a cheap filming similar to shows like home and away and days of our lives, I guess a home video best sums it up lol)
- Expensive

You really need to go in store to see which is best for you.

As for 3D LG uses passive, which I HATE as it does interlacing field swapping to achieve it. Meaning you can see scan lines if you got good eyes. Other manufacturers like Samsung use active, which requires the special glasses. I personally prefer active over passive. Only way you will know if you like passive is if you check it out in store. The only cool thing that LG had was you could use 3D glasses to over lay to images ontop of each other for 2 player local games, so rather than split screen each player had the full screen.

Personally I recently bought a Samsung series 7 LCD (LED lit) tv as the room has bright lighting so too many reflections and because I am planning ahead and want to get OLED when it becomes affordable.

In an ideal world I would buy OLED (coming out in march) as it is the best of both worlds in terms of picture quality and response, but price is unrealistic (about $12K for 55inch).

I got a 63" plasma a couple of months ago. I have never had one before as i always went for LCD/LED. But i'm really enjoying this tv. It was a lot cheaper. But the only thing that gets me is the glare on the screen. I have a very lit lounge room with natural light, it's killer during the middle of the day!

Back
Top Bottom