BEWARE *REALISTIC* EBAY EMAIL FRAUD SCAM

thumbboy

OzCardTrader
Real Name
pete
guys, no shit I *ALMOST* fell for this one as I just woke up but it took a bit of work to find out its a fake.
It looks like any other email qn from a buyer, only thing is it's an item that I didn't sell.
I just thought, stupid buyer emailed the wrong person but then warning lights went off, how much effort would it take to email the wrong person??

So I checked and the link prompted a login, so I copied the item number and did a ebay search for it through the real ebay site. Amazingly there is an actual item of that description but unconvinced I went through my past emails looking for a qn from a buyer, and when I mouse over the links, they are different web addresses to what the email would have taken me to.

I just thought its good to give you guys a heads up on this one because these guys are starting to get REAL good at this. They go so far as to use real ebay listings as the ploy.

Here's a screen grab of the email I got:
angryebay.jpg

and this is the item they used:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI...atitle=6571463853+&fvi=1&item=6571463853&rd=1

If anyone else got some email like this I hope you didn't fall for it like I almost did.

every link in the spoof email would take you to:
javascript:eek:l('http://contact.ebay.com-ws-isapi.info/signin.html');
whereas in other emails from ebay it would take you to different parts of ebay depending on which link you click, eg for the spoof email tutorial link in real ebay emails it would take you to:
javascript:eek:l('http://pages.ebay.com.au/education/spooftutorial');
rather than that 1st link.
I feel a bit like Sherlock Holmes on this one. I can imagine a lot of people getting fooled by this though because my first reaction was to email them back and say "sorry I think you got the wrong person mate" and normally there would be a login prompt anyway so I'd be giving up my details without knowing. next thing u know there's $10K of items being bought on my account from all around the world.
they're getting shiftier thats for sure.

Nice work Petey! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Damn thats a lot of work but the rewards are that great. You wouldn't have stuff being bought though, rather laptops and other expensive stuff being listed with your stolen id on which the password has been changed.

That email would fool most people like you said. hmmm If you have to be suss replying to these emails now it makes it hard to communicate on eBay.
:cry:

I've had a couple of weird ones like that! :?

Have just deleted them myself because saw that it wasn't something of mine. Did eventually get some notifications that someone was trying to mess with my account and had about 10 items taken off auction because of tampering and I still had to pay the sellers fees! :x

Then got heaps of emails telling me to update my details and change passwords.

Everything seems ok now though. Dodgy, dodgy bastards. :evil:

THANKS PETEY!!!!!

I got one from "ebay" saying my account had been suspended!!!

Said I had to click a link to reply, and the bit that gave it away, was it said "when you click the link, ebay will ask for your personal details, such as user name, passwords, bank account details, and credit card details".

I logged into ebay, and it was sweet.

I was just confused, cos I'd just listed some cards, so was kinda bizarre.

Note for everyone...

Ebay NEVER requests personal information! Same as PayPal.

NEVER click on links in emails as 9/10 they are spammed emails, and will do a couple of things:
1 - request info, hopefully persuade u to give it out
2 - verify ur email address, allowing the spammers to continue spamming you

Let's hope no one ever gets caught up!!!

Back
Top Bottom