afterpay

meeda13

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Lucas
eBay User
meeda13
someone bought some cards off me on ebay and said they were using afterpay. (i have never used it and have no idea how it works). they have said that they have made payments but i checked all my finance apps and nothing has changed. can someone with a bit more knowledge please help?
thanks

Interesting! Watching to see how it works.

ive used it before and thought that eBay just pays you the full amount and takes responsibility for the fortnightly instalments and waits to be repaid

You would get a confirmation of payment from EBay, they will tell you when to ship. The fact that they contacted you saying they've made payments is a good indicator something is up. EBay notifies you for everything; when somebody puchases, you get notified, when they pay, you get notified, EBay with tell you when to ship etc. etc.

Last edited:
Found some FAQ here https://sellercentre.ebay.com.au/afterpay,
You still get paid in full, and eBay manages the rest. Buyers manage their repayments with Afterpay
therefore if you haven't got paid, its because they haven't paid

Further "Once the order is placed, you'll receive payment for the order in full as usual. You can then send the order to the buyer as normal. "

Also "We'll automatically show Afterpay on all eligible listings, so you don't need to do anything. You'll receive payment for the order in full – in fact, you won't actually see that a buyer has used Afterpay. So you just need to carry on providing great service to your customers"

Last edited:
You would get a confirmation of payment from EBay, they will tell you when to ship. The fact that they contacted you saying they've made payments is a good indicator something is up. EBay notifies you for everything; when somebody puchases, you get notified, when they pay, you get notified, EBay with tell you when to ship etc. etc.
Thanks. I was just a bit confused because the guy had 100% positive feedback so I thought it might have just been a glitch in the system. Cheers for the insight

Interesting! Watching to see how it works.

ive used it before and thought that eBay just pays you the full amount and takes responsibility for the fortnightly instalments and waits to be repaid
I know it is quite interesting. The guy takes a looong time to reply to my messages so something is definitely odd.
Thanks

Tell them to dispute the sale, if they really did pay, they can dispute it, if they didn't pay, you can't dispute it because what's there to dispute? that's how you know for certain because they cannot dispute. Also i recommend if they do end up actually buying, make sure you take a photo/video of the card and putting it in the parcel and show the parcel name/address of buyer, that way if a dispute arises, you have evidence and ship with tracking because judging by your post, they might be trying to pull a fast one and claimed it was damage/not arrived to get a refund, especially if they begrudgingly paid after getting caught out.

thanks, ill give it a go. i usually take pictures of the envelopes before i send them off just to make sure. a video is a good idea in this case though. i thought it was a bit strange to begin with because he won 5 cards on bid all of different teams, which ive found that not many people that ive come across do. i sent him an invoice to combine the postage but made it a bit more so i could send through registered so i could have some extra back up if something went wrong. ive had a few shady buyers in my time and he seems to fit the build

I know what you mean, sometimes it not worth it. Also the fact that they takes a long time to reply is so they could use it as a point to say "hey i've paid X days ago, why haven't you shipped yet? etc. etc. I've heard it all before and it sucks. Best of luck, i hope its not a scam and just an honest mistake but just be vigilant

exactly. ill probably just relist them up again, hopefully he doesnt bid again, or i might just block. super annoying because ill have to wait another 5 days for them to get bids and will take longer to get my money. but i guess its better than being scammed over sending when the buyer never had any intention of paying.
thanks.

I know what you mean, sometimes it not worth it. Also the fact that they takes a long time to reply is so they could use it as a point to say "hey i've paid X days ago, why haven't you shipped yet? etc. etc. I've heard it all before and it sucks. Best of luck, i hope its not a scam and just an honest mistake but just be vigilant
Ok I’ve been looking into it and I think that guy didn’t have bad intentions. I tried to buy something off eBay through PayPal and for some reason it wouldn’t let me, so I tried with afterpay, it took money out of my account but still says ‘payment pending’ on eBay. Don’t know what is up with it. Looks like the guy who bought my cards was having the same problem as me. Sooooo annoying. Won’t use it again

Edit: went through after about 5 minutes. Still believe that the guy who bought off me had genuine trouble, and he asked me to cancel the order and I relisted everything. I wasn’t mad as he appeared to actually make an effort to try to pay, but I think there was an afterpay issue on his end.

Last edited:
Ok I’ve been looking into it and I think that guy didn’t have bad intentions. I tried to buy something off eBay through PayPal and for some reason it wouldn’t let me, so I tried with afterpay, it took money out of my account but still says ‘payment pending’ on eBay. Don’t know what is up with it. Looks like the guy who bought my cards was having the same problem as me. Sooooo annoying. Won’t use it again

Edit: went through after about 5 minutes. Still believe that the guy who bought off me had genuine trouble, and he asked me to cancel the order and I relisted everything. I wasn’t mad as he appeared to actually make an effort to try to pay, but I think there was an afterpay issue on his end.
Thats good to hear. I would talk to Ebay chat to see what they say

Back
Top Bottom