A question about cookies, missing cards on searches on ebay...

ljandkg

Go Celtics!!
Real Name
Al
eBay User
ljandkg
COMC User
ljandkg
I've missed a couple of PC cards recently on ebay. They were listed as sports cards- basketball and should've come up easy on my searches but they didn't

BOTH of them were US only auctions and I'm from NZ. Does anyone know whether ebay has changed policy (again) and not bothered to add cards to searches if they're not available overseas? And if so, any remedy?? is it something to do with cookies on your pc??

Thanks for any info in advance...

Which version of ebay do you use?

I'm thinking, say with our .com.au site, if you select "Worldwide" it will display all items that are available worldwide, who will ship to your location.

If there are items listed as US-only, then they won't show up on the .com.au site despite selecting the "worldwide" option, but if you were on the .com site you WOULD see the US-only listings.

Am I on track with you, or thinking of something else?

not sure what the problem is, but it shouldnt have anything to do with cookies...

Which version of ebay do you use?

I'm thinking, say with our .com.au site, if you select "Worldwide" it will display all items that are available worldwide, who will ship to your location.

If there are items listed as US-only, then they won't show up on the .com.au site despite selecting the "worldwide" option, but if you were on the .com site you WOULD see the US-only listings.

Am I on track with you, or thinking of something else?

I only use the ebay.com site... But something's changed. I've just heard that US sellers have an option to not show their auction to overseas bidders if they choose not to. Question is whether they do this from, as u say, different ebay int'l sites, or whether it eliminates overseas bidders from knowing their IP address... if it's IP address - we're all screwed....

I noticed that as well. Had someone from overseas send me a link to a card that hadn't come up in my saved searches.
I found after creating separate U.S. and U.K. ebay accounts to get around 'no overseas postage', when searching from those accounts certain items showed up that couldn't be seen when searching from my main Australian account.

I noticed that as well. Had someone from overseas send me a link to a card that hadn't come up in my saved searches.
I found after creating separate U.S. and U.K. ebay accounts to get around 'no overseas postage', when searching from those accounts certain items showed up that couldn't be seen when searching from my main Australian account.
So u weren't searching ebay.com as a rule??

I was, some of my saved searches from my main ebay account were saved in ebay.com, and 'worldwide' was specified.
When I was sent a link of the card I hadn't seen, I tried searching for it on ebay.com but it still didn't come up.

I have an easy workaround!

In your 'My eBay' go to addresses and enter a US address that is at least in a real zip code. Then, eBay will assume your are in the US. The only problem is that whenever you go to checkout, you have to choose your correct shipping address before completing checkout, but, if you are only worried about finding the listing and not buying (because someone else is helping with US only), then you won't have the problem! ;)

I have also had this come into effect! i cant search pricing on many cards from my normal computer? even previus listings are hidden! However when i log onto ebay.com off my ipad i get all the listings again.
surely theres a easy solution for PC ??

I've noticed this about a couple of weeks ago and what I was doing lately is search on ebay.com.au but I don't see any listing from overseas that don't specify shipping to Australia.

Just so u know - a Garnett 21 search before this adjustment found 130 items, after ticking that box - 154....big difference - Cheers Graeme

Is this happening when you are just logged in? or does it happen when you are logged out as well?

If logged in, they are checking it against your address on file; if logged out then it's most likely matching against your IP.

Possible fix would be to use their RSS Feeds.

Is this happening when you are just logged in? or does it happen when you are logged out as well?

If logged in, they are checking it against your address on file; if logged out then it's most likely matching against your IP.

Possible fix would be to use their RSS Feeds.
Logged in, haven't checked the other. Either way it's fixed now..

So now get to haggle someone who's already stated they won't ship overseas, to see if they will?

Helps having someone in the states to receive on your behalf tho, so I can see the benefit of being able to search!

...and just like that, the option to choose 'available to' seems to have been removed from advanced search. Same for anyone else?

ebay really like to stiff internationals...

Back
Top Bottom