2022 World Cup Cards

Wattsup

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Dave
The World Cup is not far away now, which means Panini are surely cranking the printing presses as we speak!

So far we've had the Road to the World Cup Sticker set, and the just released Adrenalyn XL, both featuring Australian players.

Prizm will likely be the main product, and expect upwards of 20 parallels of each card I guess.

Will they also release higher end premium World Cup sets? Likely given the success of soccer cards over the last few years,
and the explosion of price of the earlier Prizm WC releaseas.

Whats everyone else looking forward to product wise from the World Cup?

I'm Hanging for the new 2022 WC Prizm's to come out.
We wont see the lower prices like previous world cups unfortunately
Wonder how much a case will cost?

Last edited:
Firstly, sorry for the whinge.

It feels like the soccer hobby is a mirage as far as popularity goes. Supposedly a sleeping giant. Me thinks not. I have a had a Vinicius Optic Rated rookie up for 6 weeks and not 1 view. Not even one. I don't think that has ever happened before with any other trading card I've listed. In fact all four of my soccer listings have not had 1 view in 6 weeks. That's convinces me that whilst it is the world's most popular sport, hobby wise it's below every other sport including AFL, NRL. wrestling Formula 1, nascar.

And 2 years ago people were saying how massive it was going to be. It's a fizzer.

P.S. I like the sport and have put together the 2018-19 Donruss Optic set. However, I will not be speculating on soccer cards ever again.

Whinge done.

Panini and Topps are saturating( ruining) the soccer market this year. Soccer does not need more products.

There is going to be a massive oversupply of soccer products because the demand is not there imo. Making both a paper and chrome Topps CL was a bad move and having Mosaic is just crazy when Prizm is probably more than enough to fill demand. You could argue that variety is great for pure soccer collectors but these products are not priced accordingly. They are very expensive relative to what comes out of them.

Panini and Topps are saturating( ruining) the soccer market this year. Soccer does not need more products.

There is going to be a massive oversupply of soccer products because the demand is not there imo. Making both a paper and chrome Topps CL was a bad move and having Mosaic is just crazy when Prizm is probably more than enough to fill demand. You could argue that variety is great for pure soccer collectors but these products are not priced accordingly. They are very expensive relative to what comes out of them.

I totally agree, it's like there's a new release every fortnight with these two Companie$.

Mind you, there are still cards going for big $$$, overall it's slowing down due to the economic climate too.

Well it just got even more crazier:
FB_IMG_1659311305251.jpg

The 2022 hobby boxes appear to have less value at a glance given the higher numbering /299 & /399 additions.

2018 Base Silver Hyper Green & White Wave Purple & Gold Wave Blue #’d/199 Red #’d/149 Purple #’d /99 Orange #’d/65 Green Crystals #’d/25 Camo #’d/20 Gold #’d/10 Gold Power Prizms #’d/5 Black #’d/1 Cyrillic variations, National landmarks 1 per case, Groups, Host Cities, Zabivaka less than one per case

BOX BREAK 16 PRIZMS 7 INSERTS EITHER 1 AUTOGRAPH OR AN ADDITIONAL INSERT

6 cards per pack 24 packs per box

2022 Base Prizms Silver Base Prizms Hyper Base Prizms Ice Base Prizms Pink Base Prizms Red (#’d/399) Base Prizms Blue (#’d/299) Base Prizms Purple (#’d/199) Base Prizms Red Mojo (#’d/99) Base Prizms Blue Mojo (#’d/75) Base Prizms Purple Mojo (#’d/49) Base Prizms Orange (#’d/25) Base Prizms Maroon (#’d/22) Base Prizms Gold (#’d/10) Base Prizms Green (#’d/5) Base Prizms Black (#’d/1) NEW ERA New Era Prizms Silver New Era Prizms Orange (#’d/25) New Era Prizms Gold (#’d/10) New Era Prizms Green (#’d/5) New Era Prizms Black (#’d/1) SIGNATURES Signatures Prizms Silver (Max #’d/199) Signatures Prizms Gold (Max #’d/10) Signatures Prizms Black (Max #’d/1)

Look for the return of the short-printed National Landmarks Insert, with custom artwork of a star player and hallmarks of each qualified nation. Newfor-2022 short-printed inserts are Manga, Color Wheel, and National Pride. Find Autographs of stars past-and-present from the field of 32, including Kylian Mbappé. Also be on the hunt for short printed Dual Signatures, highlighting teammates and compatriots.

BOX BREAK 1 AUTOGRAPH 4 NUMBERED PARALLELS 2 SILVERS 6 OTHER PARALLELS 10 INSERTS 2 SILVER INSERTS

12 cards per pack 12 packs per box

Last edited:
Firstly, sorry for the whinge.

It feels like the soccer hobby is a mirage as far as popularity goes. Supposedly a sleeping giant. Me thinks not. I have a had a Vinicius Optic Rated rookie up for 6 weeks and not 1 view. Not even one. I don't think that has ever happened before with any other trading card I've listed. In fact all four of my soccer listings have not had 1 view in 6 weeks. That's convinces me that whilst it is the world's most popular sport, hobby wise it's below every other sport including AFL, NRL. wrestling Formula 1, nascar.

And 2 years ago people were saying how massive it was going to be. It's a fizzer.

P.S. I like the sport and have put together the 2018-19 Donruss Optic set. However, I will not be speculating on soccer cards ever again.

Whinge done.

Are you referring to football cards popularity in Australia or worldwide?

100% agree that the market has been flooded with too many products in recent years. Since the Pandemic there has been a big influx with new people to the hobby chasing a "Big Hit". Also i've seen some crazy prices for some of these younger players hoping that they will be the next superstar. I'm not sure if we will see another messi or ronaldo for a while.

I'm an old school collector of world cup sets and a few other cards along the way. Ive decided to pick my battles with which products to chase as its getting way too expensive to collect everything.

Interest will definately pickup when the world cup kicks off and the WC Prizm is the ultimate world cup card collection which will always hold its place at the top!
My tip is Brazil V Argentina in the final

Are you referring to football cards popularity in Australia or worldwide?
Both. I believe that the North American market makes up 85% of the entire sportscard market worldwide. If they don't embrace soccer it's not going to be what people hyped it to be.

( Like with all sports) you have to separate the actual game of soccer, which is undeniably the most popular sport globally, and the soccer hobby. Given that Europe hasn't got a culture of sportscards period I just can't see it going anywhere fast.

Again, I believe the vast majority of the hobby is based in North America. This is one example of a soccer mad country which probably does not even have one hobby shop in the entire country - The Netherlands. It has a population of 16 million people and soccer is the no1 sport, but besides pokemon and other tcg's they don't have a card culture. They have soccer stickers which Panini produces in Italy and at a guess I reckon 95% of people who buy those are kids who stick them in an album. Those stickers are not graded, traded and soldlike they are in the US and here.

The UK is the only place in Europe where the soccer hobby has some chance of growing but given how many products are being produced much of it will be overpriced junk wax. It's not just soccer. Every influencer out there is trying to convince 'investors' that such and such is the next big thing whether it's F1, MME, etc. It's mostly pump and dump imo. The hobby is actually pretty small relatively speaking and there are way too many products across all sports. 2020 tricked a lot of people into thinking this was something akin to BTC. It's not and never will be imo

Brazil would be nice. Hopefully Vinicius kills them and I can offload my cards. It will be interesting to see what this years world cup will do for the soccer hobby. It should definitely do something. Shame it got delayed. Had it been played in July like usual it would have had no competition other than baseball. Now it will have to vie with NBA, NHL and NFL.

Both. I believe that the North American market makes up 85% of the entire sportscard market worldwide. If they don't embrace soccer it's not going to be what people hyped it to be.

( Like with all sports) you have to separate the actual game of soccer, which is undeniably the most popular sport globally, and the soccer hobby. Given that Europe hasn't got a culture of sportscards period I just can't see it going anywhere fast.

Again, I believe the vast majority of the hobby is based in North America. This is one example of a soccer mad country which probably does not even have one hobby shop in the entire country - The Netherlands. It has a population of 16 million people and soccer is the no1 sport, but besides pokemon and other tcg's they don't have a card culture. They have soccer stickers which Panini produces in Italy and at a guess I reckon 95% of people who buy those are kids who stick them in an album. Those stickers are not graded, traded and soldlike they are in the US and here.

The UK is the only place in Europe where the soccer hobby has some chance of growing but given how many products are being produced much of it will be overpriced junk wax. It's not just soccer. Every influencer out there is trying to convince 'investors' that such and such is the next big thing whether it's F1, MME, etc. It's mostly pump and dump imo. The hobby is actually pretty small relatively speaking and there are way too many products across all sports. 2020 tricked a lot of people into thinking this was something akin to BTC. It's not and never will be imo

A lot to unpack here.

Now that I know you are referring to flipping football cards, I can't really comment on that side of things because I don't particularly care what cards go up and down because I am just a collector, not an investor.

As for football cards in Australia, no, they are not as popular as AFL or NBA, which I believe are the two frontrunners in terms of popularity for collectors and investors.
In regards to The Netherlands, they aren't even in the top 5 football mad countries so it's probably not a great example. But to speak to that, they have hobby stores and specifically card stores as well in Rotterdam. Picked up a couple boxes whilst I was there in transit for a few hours.

To say football cards popularity as a hobby is "below every other sport including AFL, NRL. wrestling Formula 1 and nascar" is extremely wrong if comparing worldwide.

84E2F758-038E-4729-A438-37B9D76C1496.png

For those of you soccer collectors who like to track their collection online, we at MERQARY have just added the 2021-22 Panini Mosaic Road to the World Cup checklist to our database.

This means you can upload, track, manage, buy and sell cards from this set on the MERQARY platform.

We are working through adding more and more Soccer checklists to our site. If there is a checklist you need us to add, please send me a DM!

84E2F758-038E-4729-A438-37B9D76C1496.png

For those of you soccer collectors who like to track their collection online, we at MERQARY have just added the 2021-22 Panini Mosaic Road to the World Cup checklist to our database.

This means you can upload, track, manage, buy and sell cards from this set on the MERQARY platform.

We are working through adding more and more Soccer checklists to our site. If there is a checklist you need us to add, please send me a DM!
Love the concept. Just joined but how do you see the soccer checklists?

Love the concept. Just joined but how do you see the soccer checklists?
Thank you!

To see what cards are included in the checklists, click on the 'Browse Cards' button on the top of every page. This will open up a search page where you can type in what you're searching for.

As an example, you could search for:

2021-22 Panini Road to the World Cup

and you will see all the cards from that set.

Would love to see some of your cards added to your Trophy Room.

A lot to unpack here.

Now that I know you are referring to flipping football cards, I can't really comment on that side of things because I don't particularly care what cards go up and down because I am just a collector, not an investor.

As for football cards in Australia, no, they are not as popular as AFL or NBA, which I believe are the two frontrunners in terms of popularity for collectors and investors.
In regards to The Netherlands, they aren't even in the top 5 football mad countries so it's probably not a great example. But to speak to that, they have hobby stores and specifically card stores as well in Rotterdam. Picked up a couple boxes whilst I was there in transit for a few hours.

To say football cards popularity as a hobby is "below every other sport including AFL, NRL. wrestling Formula 1 and nascar" is extremely wrong if comparing worldwide.
I'll have to take your word for it that there are hobby shops in the Netherlands. One of the big American dealers who has a large youtube channel currently resides in the Netherlands and he stated that the hobby was more or less non-existent there and that there were no hobby shops.

As for stating that the Netherlands is not a top 5 soccer mad country. Well, firstly what are you basing that on? Have you lived there? When you say mad what do you even mean? Mad as in passionate? Because if that's what you are stating that has absolutely no correlation to the hobby. Brazil is probably the 'maddest' soccer loving country in the world but half its population lives in abject poverty so not exactly fertile ground for the hobby. Soccer is absolutely the no.1 sport in the Netherlands. No other sport comes close. There is nothing else. Does the UK make your top 5? Rugby Union and League have a significant presence there. Soccer is their no1 sport but it's not the only sport - unlike the Netherlands.

Also, since you started off by taking the moral high ground by saying that you are just a collector and insinuating that I'm an 'investor' I'm going to assume that you have never sold a card in your entire life? That makes you a very rare species. I'm not an "investor' myself but I'm happy to flip some cards to offset the significant cost of collecting.

I'm curious as to the boxes you picked up? It would've been helpful if you had expanded a bit. Just stating you picked up a couple of boxes doesn't say much. Was it Panini XL Adrenalyn? Boxes of stickers? They've always had those - mostly in newsagents and supermarkets.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom