2019 Grand Final Roosters vs Raiders - Who wins?

Who wins the 2019 NRL Grand Final?

• Roosters

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Raiders

Votes: 11 64.7%

• Total voters

Matt26

OZCT Supporter
Real Name
Matt
Hi everyone,

It's Grand Final day......should be a great match between the Roosters and Raiders!

In short, who wins? Who gets the Clive Churchill Medal?

For me id like to see the Raiders win but my head is telling me that it will be the Roosters. If the Roosters win, Cronk or Mitchell for the CCM. If its the Raiders Papalli or CNK for the CCM.

Cheers
Matt

So excited for today’s game - Raiders 1-12 spread with Big Papa to take the chocolates

4E69E0C0-6356-4EFB-A965-699B8050F448.jpeg

I have no vested interest in the game but it should be a great one to watch. As per above, it would be good to see the Raiders come out on top but I think it will be Easts.

I just hope the refs and bunker stay out of the final result with no controversial decisions (for a change)!

My heart wants to go Raiders but my head says Roosters. Churchill Medallist I hope Tedesco gets it. Going for the trifecta (origin player of the series, Dally M medallist and hopefully Churchill medallist). For me Raiders will have to come out hard and strong from the get go, get the points on the board early to knock the confidence out of the roosters as they have the defence to hold roosters out. However if roosters get on top of raiders early and im not sure raiders attack would be strong enough to come back

I have no real preference but would be more satisfied with a Raiders win. I have a feeling the Roosters might dominate though.
Then again I'm usually way off the mark when it comes to tipping so that gives Canberra a real chance. The Raiders need to be close to perfect and not give the chooks any cheap points. If it's at all possible, shut down Teddy. :rolleyes:

so so disappointed that the biggest game of the year has once again been tarnished by incompetent refereeing
Tough call the raiders getting the 6 again signal with 10 to go then called change over but so was giving Cronk 10 in the bin . Was a few others that were a bit suspect as well ? I agree with you , pretty disappointing for a grand final .

It is hard to be objective in this case but I will try...

Roosters were the team to beat all year despite the Storm being so far cleat at the top. Congrats to them and there fans, first team back to back in the NRL era, a wonderful team and well coached.

Canberra, what an awesome year. Tipped by so many 'éxperts' to not make the 8, never out of the four all season and really gave the title a good hard shake against quality opposition. Great effort lads.

To the game, the Roosters were very lucky to get that early repeat set when the charge down hit the their trainer. What a trainer was doing on the field, during an attacking set in the first five minutes of play with not a player in sight being attended to I will never know. The ruling was correct as I assume it was the same for when a ball hits a referee in play, scrum to the team in possession. If that ball doesn't hit the Roosters trainer then Whitehead easily regathers and Canberra are on the attack in a broken field situation. Instead, fresh set to Sydney on halfway and a try off the back of it (the Canberra marker defence was poor on that occasion though).

The six to go late in the piece was obviously a huge call. If the signal wasn't made I wouldn't have an issue but this caused Wighton to take the tackle and not try for an attacking kick. Sydney obviously scored the match winner off this set and this was a cracking try but again, should they have had the ball? No.

Aside from that, the sin binning of Cronk was a borderline call. I think if he allows Papa to catch that ball, he gets bumped and there is no way the Roosters had the cover to stop Papa that close to the line. Is it a professional foul? It is certainly pretty close and it was an obvious defensive decision from Cronk to move in and hit early. Canberra should have scored in the corner if Leilua just caught and passed but he didn't and that was that.

I thought it was a pretty good game, very physical, some reasonable attack. The CCM to a losing player is rare, maybe Brad McKay was the last player in either 92 or 93? Wighton had a massive game, repeat sets, try, strong defence and every time he ran he bent the line so he was certainly one of the best on the field. CNK was also huge.

I think J Moz was Sydney's best and given the result probably more deserved.

Such a shame that after an epic GF and great season all the media will cover for days is the refereeing blunders.

It is hard to be objective in this case but I will try...

Roosters were the team to beat all year despite the Storm being so far cleat at the top. Congrats to them and there fans, first team back to back in the NRL era, a wonderful team and well coached.

Canberra, what an awesome year. Tipped by so many 'éxperts' to not make the 8, never out of the four all season and really gave the title a good hard shake against quality opposition. Great effort lads.

To the game, the Roosters were very lucky to get that early repeat set when the charge down hit the their trainer. What a trainer was doing on the field, during an attacking set in the first five minutes of play with not a player in sight being attended to I will never know. The ruling was correct as I assume it was the same for when a ball hits a referee in play, scrum to the team in possession. If that ball doesn't hit the Roosters trainer then Whitehead easily regathers and Canberra are on the attack in a broken field situation. Instead, fresh set to Sydney on halfway and a try off the back of it (the Canberra marker defence was poor on that occasion though).

The six to go late in the piece was obviously a huge call. If the signal wasn't made I wouldn't have an issue but this caused Wighton to take the tackle and not try for an attacking kick. Sydney obviously scored the match winner off this set and this was a cracking try but again, should they have had the ball? No.

Aside from that, the sin binning of Cronk was a borderline call. I think if he allows Papa to catch that ball, he gets bumped and there is no way the Roosters had the cover to stop Papa that close to the line. Is it a professional foul? It is certainly pretty close and it was an obvious defensive decision from Cronk to move in and hit early. Canberra should have scored in the corner if Leilua just caught and passed but he didn't and that was that.

I thought it was a pretty good game, very physical, some reasonable attack. The CCM to a losing player is rare, maybe Brad McKay was the last player in either 92 or 93? Wighton had a massive game, repeat sets, try, strong defence and every time he ran he bent the line so he was certainly one of the best on the field. CNK was also huge.

I think J Moz was Sydney's best and given the result probably more deserved.

Such a shame that after an epic GF and great season all the media will cover for days is the refereeing blunders.
Think i tipped canberra to be up there at the end of season,
Got to be a bridesmaid first.

For me it was great to see both teams giving their all and by the end completely out on their feet. It's one thing I love about football as you know that both teams gave everything they had, showing their passion for the game and to their fans. Resulting in a hard, close intense grand final that kept you guessing who would win.

Okay down to some of the calls made during the game.
First call when the raiders charged down the kick. 1.why in the world was the trainer on the field at the time, it just reaffirms my judgement on trainers abusing their time on the park and for rules to be put into place. it started with Langer abusing the trainer role and it just spiralled out of control from there, now they are hardly off the park. But in saying that yes if it didn't hit the trainer whitehead would have been open to regather and score but if they reviewed it, a no try would have been given as Soliola made contact with the kickers legs which would of resulted in a penalty to the roosters.

The next call when Cooper Cronk was sin binned. The correct call was made. A player hit before receiving a ball is a penalty and because he was within the 10, its a professional foul- so a sin bin offence. I agree with the decision of no penalty try as it wasn't certain that Papalli would of scored. Yes he could of bumped Cronk off and the other players in the vicinity may have not held him up in time, however if Cronk had timed it correctly with Papalli only just touching the ball he could of forced him to lose the ball or still being tackled and with players close by creating the uncertainty, the correct call was made and was consistent with the calls this year.

With the last call of 6 again. Terrible call from Cummings to even come up with that call when there was no rooster even near the ball, so i don't even get how he came to that decision. Thankfully he was overruled by the head referee to the correct call of last tackle. However it was poorly executed by the referees. this screw up was on Cummings but when overruled both referees should have been yelling last tackle multiple times to ensure all players knew the call. It was a bad stuff up in which i feel sorry for the raiders as they weren't able to execute their last tackle options but to give them a whole new set of 6 would of also been wrong. As for saying roosters would have never scored that try as they shouldn't have been in possession of the ball is in correct, raiders would of had to force a drop out to have been in possession of the ball. From this though it does bring up whether to go back to the one on field referee?

As for the Clive Churchill I would've thought Brett Morris would of got it for the roosters but in saying that Wighton was the stand out for his team so if the opposition was to get it he was my pick

Back
Top Bottom