2016 AFL Season Discussion

Remember that he did win Hawthorn's b&f this year, I'd say he could play on til he's like 37
Yep, but it comes down to how long he wants to play on for. Look at Enright: All Australian this year and still chose to retire at the end of the season. Easily could've played on based on performance but for whatever reason didn't want to.

lol @ the overreaction in the some sections of the AFL media over the Sam Mitchell story.

The death of loyalty!

It has changed football forever!

You mean like when Tippet wanted away from Adelaide, looked headed back home to Gold Coast, only to take a detour to Sydney. Only when Franklin left Hawthorn for a 10 year, $1mil a season deal. Or when Ablett left Geelong for the big dollars and captaincy at Gold Coast. Or when B&F/Brownlow/Premiership winning Chris Judd wanted to head back to Victoria. Or when Geelong cut Steve Johnson loose only for him to tear it up with GWS.

lol @ the overreaction in the some sections of the AFL media over the Sam Mitchell story.

The death of loyalty!

It has changed football forever!

You mean like when Tippet wanted away from Adelaide, looked headed back home to Gold Coast, only to take a detour to Sydney. Only when Franklin left Hawthorn for a 10 year, $1mil a season deal. Or when Ablett left Geelong for the big dollars and captaincy at Gold Coast. Or when B&F/Brownlow/Premiership winning Chris Judd wanted to head back to Victoria. Or when Geelong cut Steve Johnson loose only for him to tear it up with GWS.

Crying out loud Mat, no one wants to hear rational, coherent and objective journalism.

This post needs more pitchfork.

3.jpg

From a personal, selfish perspective, I'm ecstatic to get Mitchell. But I do feel for Hawks supporters, it can't be easy losing a club legend like this. I guess that's modern footy!

Congratulations to Sam Mitchell on a magnificent Hawthorn career. He will be a Hawthorn immortal and an AFL Hall of Famer.

*307 games
*Premiership captain
*4 x premiership player
*5 x Best and Fairest (2nd in 2008, 3rd in 2010, 2013 & 2015)

I would rather see it end like this - with the encouragement and blessing of the footy club to explore further interests - than Sam being reduced to a bit player or playing VFL every other week on a "horses for courses" basis.

On behalf of Hawthorn supporters and members everywhere - thanks for everything champ :)

tumblr_inline_o1c3q3HgjI1r7njx7_500.jpg

IMG_2426.JPG
It's going to take a while to get over this trade. Mitch has been one of my favs for a long time, always thought he'd be a Hawk for life. I'm very much a traditionalist and love to see club legends remain as one club players. Gonna miss ya Sammy.

I feel your pain Darren, when Judd and Cuz left.......best leave the rest unsaid. :cry::mad::cry:

What i can say is he is a Hawk through and through, even if he helps us win a flag or takes out a B&F at the Eagles the history of the man in the brown and gold will NEVER be diminished.

I am for obvious reasons super excited to have him come over, he is exactly the type of role model our marshmallow midfielders need and whilst i hope we get a few years playing service from him i'm probably more excited for what he can bring to our coaching ranks and for players like Sheed, Duggan, Partington.....etc

Time will tell but i hope the Eagles are scheduled a game against the Hawks at the G next year so your supporters get to give him the send off he deserves.

I doubt this means jack all to how you feel right now but i promise the club will treat him with the respect he deserves. :thumbsup:

It's going to be a very different-looking Hawthorn team in 2017. Rumours persist that Jordan Lewis will go to Melbourne and of course there is still the Jaeger O'Meara trade to work out.

For the first time in over a decade I am questioning the direction of my club. I don't like the idea of selling your soul to introduce experienced, established players or "big name" recruits. I can't help but think that the club has been spooked by the performance of the Western Bulldogs. Different game styles can be successful in finals - "run and gun" doesn't suit everyone.

I would have preferred to see regeneration via the draft, as occurred when Clarko became coach. You're not going to get the Roughead, Lewis, Franklin trifecta in every draft of course but in my opinion youngsters like Sicily and O'Brien are good examples of players benefiting from having experienced heads around them.

Please, Hawthorn. Don't become another Brisbane, where the fall is bigger than the rise.

It's going to be a very different-looking Hawthorn team in 2017. Rumours persist that Jordan Lewis will go to Melbourne and of course there is still the Jaeger O'Meara trade to work out.

For the first time in over a decade I am questioning the direction of my club. I don't like the idea of selling your soul to introduce experienced, established players or "big name" recruits. I can't help but think that the club has been spooked by the performance of the Western Bulldogs. Different game styles can be successful in finals - "run and gun" doesn't suit everyone.

I would have preferred to see regeneration via the draft, as occurred when Clarko became coach. You're not going to get the Roughead, Lewis, Franklin trifecta in every draft of course but in my opinion youngsters like Sicily and O'Brien are good examples of players benefiting from having experienced heads around them.

Please, Hawthorn. Don't become another Brisbane, where the fall is bigger than the rise.
You guys have Ty Vickery on your team.

You're the next great team to finish 9th now ;)

Joel Hamling looks set to head to Fremantle on a 3 year (supposedly $1.4mil) deal.

It's curious because he spent 3 years at Geelong having never played a senior game, picked up by the Dogs as a delisted free agent, and only played 11 and 12 games in the last two seasons.

Played well at the back end of this season, so we'll see if his form carries.

Hamling leaving means the Dogs are likely to make Marcus Adams play out his current contract.

Dogs are likely to make Marcus Adams play out his current contract.

Perhaps, or maybe they are keen on Emac. There were rumours about it a the start of trade week.

Personally i'd prefer to keep Mackenzie and hope he returns to form allowing us to swing Gov forward but some fans want his huge contract removed from the books so this would be one way of doing it.

In saying that i doubt the dogs would be able to absorb his contract either so it would most likely be a case of us having to pay some of it like the the Hawks are doing with Mitchell.

Either way we're going for Vardy or Minson. Would much prefer the latter but most likely will get the former.

IMG_2426.JPG
It's going to take a while to get over this trade. Mitch has been one of my favs for a long time, always thought he'd be a Hawk for life. I'm very much a traditionalist and love to see club legends remain as one club players. Gonna miss ya Sammy.

Guernsey is looking great Daz! The news of Mitchell leaving must have been so unexpected. It was a massive surprise to hear he was coming west.

Seeing as though he will be an Eagle for a year or two, I've got a Rioli guernsey if you ever want to swap that Mitchell back ;)

So...

- the other Brown, Nathan, is off to the Saints, leaving the Pies' backline a little thin

- Roos have snagged former #7 pick Paul Ahern for a song (pick 60-something)

- Jed Adcock will return to the Lions in a coaching role

- it's looking likely Jordan Lewis is off to the Dees with a 3 year deal on the table. Hawks apparently will only offer him 1 year (more money though), after floating him as trade bait, twice.

- first Jarryd Lyon's, now Carlton have turned down Rory Atkins as part of the deal to get Gibbs to the Crows. Adamant they'll only take Charlie Cameron or Mitch McGovern.

Back
Top Bottom