2016 AFL Season Discussion

Very happy to see McGovern get recognised for another brilliant season.

There's always some players who are very unlucky to miss out (mostly midfielders), but I couldn't argue with much in that team.

I have a new favourite player, Katie Brennan :hearts:

image.jpeg

She's a terrific competitor, as is Daisy Pearce. Moana Hope got off to a shaky start, but put on a great show in the second half. Tayla Harris has a decent hoof on her, but the whole Melbourne forward line was pretty disappointing tonight. Some great contested marks, but horrific accuracy with their set shots.

While its a great step forward, and the games are fun to watch, can't help but feel all this grandstanding about creating a national women's competition is somewhat diminished when they play 15 minute quarters, 16-a-side, with a smaller football.

I remember reading earlier this year the AFL was considering using some experimental rules, much like the NAB challenge, as a testing ground for the men's league, and couldn't be more against such an idea. It's not like these women haven't been plying their trade in local leagues with the same rules as every other senior league. To me it reflects poorly on the AFL and provides other codes ammunition for criticism.

Or maybe 16-a-side and 15 minute quarters is something they're looking to put into the men's game to reduce congestion and cut down on playing time.

Also; did anyone catch the legends game? Classic Aker dummy spit, still so salty after all these years. :lol:
I really enjoyed the Legends game, thought it was a great idea to have the All Australian awards, Legends game and Women's game on three successive days. It really fills the void I think. @Lazlow I don't think Chris Johnson would have had to buy himself any beers afterwards:)

Although the bye weekend has been heavily criticised, I don't really think the AFL had much choice but to implement it. They can't on one hand accept gambling revenue from partner CrownBet and on the other consent to -and manipulate- team changes like the ones we saw from North Melbourne and Fremantle in the last round of 2015.

Well said re the girls game. But I think they did state that it will be 18 a side in real competition. But yes experimenting with rules is arrogant and infers that their league is not as important. I actually really enjoyed the game and I never thought I would say it but I will be a big fan of the league next year.

I have no problem with the size of the football though as that is a genetics thing. Girls just don't have the same strength in their kicks, hand size etc so it just makes sense. But they are just as fit as men so make it a full game and don't change the rules.

I think Ashmore was a beauty and really like the look of Harris.

Feel for Morabito, despite his body he never chucked it in. Amazing to think he went from playing 23 games in his rookie season, to just 3 games over the next 6 years.

I doubt any AFL club will take a punt on him, but if he can show form in a full season in the WAFL it could put him in good stead.

Phew! What a game. Got to feel sorry for Isaac Smith. Still not writing off the Hawks, Geelong looking good now though.

Made up for last night's game. That's for damn sure.
Sssssshhhhhhh. We're not talking about that game ever again :cry:
Remarkable, heart-stopping, egde-of-your-seat game of footy tonight. Even though my boys lost, it sort of feels that they are "back". What a brilliant, unpredictable start to the finals series it has been so far!
Definitely no shame for the Hawks tonight. Just an awesome game. Looking forward to the two games tomorrow, especially the Sydney Derby!

Sssssshhhhhhh. We're not talking about that game ever again :cry:

All I'll say is Simpson needs a 2nd page to his gameplan. Sick of tearing my hair out when they guard space and play the web, despite the opposition continuously hitting up free targets. They only seemed to give Hutchings a tagging role late in the season.

Also needs to stop backing players they keep putting in middling performances week after week. Yeo and Darling went backwards this year. Start beating into these players about putting their head over the ball each and every week can't just leave it up to Shuey and Priddis every game.

Look at other teams' numbers, Dogs and Hawks have 4 guys in double digits for contested ball, Cats had 7.

Eagles... just 2. Priddis and Shuey.

When more guys get stuck in they beat the Hawks (5), Crows (5) and GWS (4)

Finally whoever is running the list management might need to be put on notice. Redden and Jetta haven't worked out like they should have (though Jetta would've been a better inclusion than Brown last night). Kane Lucas has been on the list two years and is still yet to suit up. And they're now going to get burnt by Tom Lamb, who wants out, and they'll get next to nothing for him. Had some pretty big red flags pre-draft over his poor attitude and workrate, despite his talent and potential, has failed to improve over the two years he's been at the club and now wants to go back to Victoria because he can't get a game. If only they were looking down the road at Swan Districts they would have seen a potential jet, a local kid, named Connor Blakely, who was still available at pick 32 :whistle: (or Mitch McGovern)

So how is anyone (ie Robbo) mounting a case that GWS getting to play at Spotless, but the Cats play at the MCG, is some great injustice and a scandal?

It's just a numbers game.

Cats have a 50k membership, but Simmonds only holds 27k.
Giants have a 16k membership but Spotless holds 24k.

Would Cats fans really be happy to have a final at Simmonds if it meant half their membership was locked out?

Are people seriously arguing that GWS' game should be moved to a venue where their home supporters can be potentially outnumbered by visitors (even though Hawks and Dogs have played GWS at Spotless this year, and only 14,000 and 9,500 attended respectively) in what will still look like 1/3 empty stadium?

It's funny how they all hated ANZ after the poor surface conditions, and the exposed bolts tore up Roughead's guernsey, but now they are all championing for its use again.

All I'll say is Simpson needs a 2nd page to his gameplan. Sick of tearing my hair out when they guard space and play the web, despite the opposition continuously hitting up free targets. They only seemed to give Hutchings a tagging role late in the season.

Also needs to stop backing players they keep putting in middling performances week after week. Yeo and Darling went backwards this year. Start beating into these players about putting their head over the ball each and every week can't just leave it up to Shuey and Priddis every game.

Look at other teams' numbers, Dogs and Hawks have 4 guys in double digits for contested ball, Cats had 7.

Eagles... just 2. Priddis and Shuey.

When more guys get stuck in they beat the Hawks (5), Crows (5) and GWS (4)

Finally whoever is running the list management might need to be put on notice. Redden and Jetta haven't worked out like they should have (though Jetta would've been a better inclusion than Brown last night). Kane Lucas has been on the list two years and is still yet to suit up. And they're now going to get burnt by Tom Lamb, who wants out, and they'll get next to nothing for him. Had some pretty big red flags pre-draft over his poor attitude and workrate, despite his talent and potential, has failed to improve over the two years he's been at the club and now wants to go back to Victoria because he can't get a game. If only they were looking down the road at Swan Districts they would have seen a potential jet, a local kid, named Connor Blakely, who was still available at pick 32 :whistle: (or Mitch McGovern)
Yeah, I agree with of all of what you said. Our forward and back lines are in pretty good shape, but our midfield is just not up to scratch with those of the top teams (what I'd give for a couple of the GWS mids...).

It looks like we've started clearing out some of the list, with Colledge, McGinnity, Waterman, Bennell, Adamson and Lucas all expected to be delisted. Not unhappy with any of those calls.

Not surprised the media keep focusing on Isaac Smith's miss.

A kick you aren't relying on if Hodge doesn't have a brain snap, give away 50 and cost them a goal.

Not surprised the media keep focusing on Isaac Smith's miss.

A kick you aren't relying on if Hodge doesn't have a brain snap, give away 50 and cost them a goal.

In fairness to Hodge it was a bloody soft free kick so no wonder he was pissed off. Not sure what was said to the umpire to warrant a 50mtr penalty though. And what also annoys me is the fact I could tell the umpires were letting a lot of stuff go so that the game flowed then paid that rubbish against Hodge.

In fairness to Hodge it was a bloody soft free kick so no wonder he was pissed off. Not sure what was said to the umpire to warrant a 50mtr penalty though. And what also annoys me is the fact I could tell the umpires were letting a lot of stuff go so that the game flowed then paid that rubbish against Hodge.

It wasn't what was said it was the aggressive gesturing. There's zero tolerance for it and they'll call 50 on it every day of the week.

He got suckered in, reacted poorly and had a complete brain fade

It wasn't what was said it was the aggressive gesturing. There's zero tolerance for it and they'll call 50 on it every day of the week.

He got suckered in, reacted poorly and had a complete brain fade

Are you sure about that? Watch the vision again, when Hodge pointed at the umpire he wasn't even looking at him. So based on that I figured it was something he must have said. Selwood did milk that knowing Hodge was coming, hate seeing any player milk anything, take the hit and get on with it, don't drop to the ground like a soccer player, looks soft. But agree Isaac Smith isn't the issue, yes he should have kicked the goal, but the game should never have been that close.

Back
Top Bottom