2013 ESP Elite NRL Cards Thread (Updated 5/8/13)

OMG, 9 player team set and a 9 player parallel. Please lord don't give me an 18 player team set with no parallels....I'd need to hire people to come in and sort base sets for me because i'd deadset give up :)

lol, I didn't think about that either

An 18 card base set would be fantastic from a team collector point of view! I think it would only be an option for the series one release though, because series two uses photos from the start of the season, and they would be hard pressed finding photos of 18 different players for each side from the first two or three rounds.

But so many decent players miss a card each year - eg. no Robbie Rochow for the Knights this year, and he's played every game. It'd be great to see more of them covered.

18 card base would be good but I think it would have to be done over 2 series because as everybody has said a lot of good players never get a card, it would have to be done like a full year thing. I have really enjoyed collecting the Elite a good job.(was one of the lucky ones). May suggest that ESP fine tune the way the error cards are replaced as it isn't the collector that made the mistake but he or she has to do work to have it replaced.Will the collector receive it back registered?

18 card base would be good but I think it would have to be done over 2 series because as everybody has said a lot of good players never get a card, it would have to be done like a full year thing. I have really enjoyed collecting the Elite a good job.(was one of the lucky ones). May suggest that ESP fine tune the way the error cards are replaced as it isn't the collector that made the mistake but he or she has to do work to have it replaced.Will the collector receive it back registered?

4. Once the above steps have been followed and the card has been received by ESP we will then send out the replacement card via Registered Mail.

My main issue with this set has not been to do with packaging, #001s, parallels, price fixing, hardball tactics with re-sellers, error cards, variation in pens or any other post break annoyance.

My issue is that there was not transparency or open lines of dialogue prior and during release from ESP.

If I'd known they were packaging them in the way they did - fine, high risk probably still would have bought the same amount I did. (However, I would tend to go all or nothing in this scenario). To not know was upsetting for those that had committed to their purchases (especially low income, single box buyers for whom the stakes are exponentially higher).

If I'd known that they were keeping the #001's - fine, their perogative. It would have annoyed me, but I would have still happily bought the product. To not know was dishonest (whether intentional or not) and very frustrating given the anticipation.

ESP's communication with collectors must improve if they are to retain faith from their customers. It will be a mutually beneficial arrangement and I cannot fathom that a company in today's market would not actively seek and value customer feedback and satisfaction. This would not be hard to do and would greatly restore my belief in a company that has released a bloody good product.

Why don't they do a separate realise to replace the daily telegraph cards. A one off TEAM set and sell them through their website as team sets like how select did the 2009 Scanlens set. Have each card numbered out of say 50, 100 or 120 and have 18 cards in it of just players (No inserts) and maybe a logo card. Make the cards look semi decent and I am sure they would sell... especially for those that are looking to cover most of the top 17 squad.

And please NO NO NO NO NO NO NO 1/1 cards!!! 1/10 at the very, very, lowest I say.

I like the idea of having Parallels 1 per pack and 1 per 6 packs, kind of mix it up a mix of the parallels from limited and traders/elite.

Here is a reply to my recent complaint to esp-

Thanks for email and feedback – we do appreciate getting this through and are always working towards improving our offering. Sorry to hear that you haven’t been successful in getting a signature card from all of your purchases – you are correct that we don’t and can’t guarantee the ratios per box – but overall per case you will get correct ratios.

ESP has always been honest about what is being released into the market and we have never advertised a feature on a product that wasn’t being done. Traders signature cards were all hand numbered so I find it surprising you have one that isn’t numbered. For each release after Traders, we are now individually foil numbering signature cards based on customer feedback and quality assurance.

Parallel sets can have a purpose especially in lower end sets. I would hate to see them overdone though.

You can easily add some value to sets by adding these at very little cost. You could have a 1 per pack, a #/100 and what about a 1/1?

Imagine the chase for NRL 1/1 cards?

I would kill to be able to put together a high end NRL release.....I probably wouldnt make back much money for the manufacturer but it would be packed with awesome cards!

Cheers
Matt
I'd give up collecting if 1/1 cards came out. I love getting all Raiders cards & having a 1/1 card would mean no chance at all of continuing to collect them all. 1/1 cards would only get in the hands of big sellers and then sold to the very rich. Don't like that idea at all

Silliest thing they did was can the DT sets this year.

My 3 year old is obsessed with NRL and all the players now, with his dog eared cards thumbed through daily and popped back in the tattered binder. When he hears players' names on TV, he can tell me where they play, or where they played last year. Or if they retired.

Seriously...get the bloody things back in the newspaper next year. And sure, parents could buy Traders or Powerplay for kids, but with the DT sets, a parent who doesn't know zac about trading cards, can buy 15 days of newspapers, get a free binder and be guaranteed of the FULL set without any other outlay, and then sit with their kid and slip in all the players each day. Then talk through all the teams, and what not.

Another suggestion for ESP would be more stats on the back. Personally I love reading stats on cards, and although we aren't as stat obsessed as the states, there are now a heap of categories that could be added to our cards. You could specialize for backs and forwards, so cards didn't get to cluttered. ie. for backs ave/total metres game/season, line breaks, trys, try assists and then for forwards, tackles, hit ups, ave/total metres game/season, off loads. Would also like to see year by year stats.

Another would be photos on the back of base cards, instead of them plain all the time (but not the same photo as the front). Change it up a bit.

If the fast and furious golds were replaced with game used jersey cards and the base set had team logo cards and a few more players per team, this release would be perfect.....four and a half stars Margaret.

A big NO to 1/1 cards, /100 at the lowest

Another suggestion for ESP would be more stats on the back. Personally I love reading stats on cards, and although we aren't as stat obsessed as the states, there are now a heap of categories that could be added to our cards. You could specialize for backs and forwards, so cards didn't get to cluttered. ie. for backs ave/total metres game/season, line breaks, trys, try assists and then for forwards, tackles, hit ups, ave/total metres game/season, off loads. Would also like to see year by year stats.

Another would be photos on the back of base cards, instead of them plain all the time (but not the same photo as the front). Change it up a bit.

I'm a huge fan of more stats and it was good to see ESP add stuff like first grade debut. With the high interest in fantasy/supercoach comps, I reckon fans would respond to having try assists, offloads, 40/20 etc info on the back.

As for set size, I like the idea of 18 cards per team over 2 series. Series 1: established players/stars. Series 2: new signings, early season rookies, remaining established first graders.

Yeah, no checklists this time. Would be good if they were at the end of the common set for a change. Also, everyone seems to go for the higher end cards. I only ever buy cases in the hope of getting a signature that I want. Doesn't happen very often. I would be happy if they put inserts in so people like me can get full sets of the lower end cards, cause that's generally all I am after.

Back
Top Bottom