Administrator
Real Name
Matt
COMC User
GarnettFan4Life
1. Dana Barros

IMG_1193.JPG

IMG_1194.JPG

From the podcasts I’ve listened to, Tony Delk is the poster child for the surprising 50 point game, so I’m surprised he didn’t get #1 on that list.

Last edited:
From the podcasts I’ve listened to, Tony Delk is the poster child for the surprisingly 50 point game, so I’m surprised he didn’t get #1 on that list.

List makes sense if they used some sort of formula but from the eye test/watching games at that time until now I would have said Willie, Ross, Murray, Delk in that order of surprise - what do you think/remember @skip20 ?

List makes sense if they used some sort of formula but from the eye test/watching games at that time until now I would have said Willie, Ross, Murray, Delk in that order of surprise - what do you think/remember @skip20 ?
Corey Brewer #1 for me - was known primarily a s defensive player who was always very much a sub-par 3 point shooter, score in transition type. Wasn;t even a big time scorer in college. That particualr 51 point game was at the very end of the season and the T-Wolves rested their top two scorers in Love and Kevin Martin. The other guys playing that night were not known as offensive scorers or weapons either - so somebody had to take the shots. that same season he was a full time starter who averaged 12 points. The stat that gets me though, is that in his 12 year NBA career he only ever scored more than 20 points 8 times! Only onvce over 30 points which was the 51 point spectacle.

As for the rest, Delk, Murray and Burton - case could be made to have any of them at #2 through #4.

Murary was a known long range sniper so he.d have an easier road to 50 and was only known for his offensive skillset - didn't really offer much else, so when he had his minutes it;d make sense that he'd catch fire at some point.

Burton scored his 51 on a disastruous 76ers squad that ironically had fellow 40 point alumni Dana Barros as its leading scorer. Not known as a great 3 ball shooter, he actually hit 8 threes in that game and had his best ever shooting season. Interestingly, that game came against another bad squad in the Miami Heat which had waived him months earlier after originally selecting him as one of their first ever lottery picks. the next year he wasn;t even playing in the NBA, but overseas!

Delk was a SG in PG body - and at 6'1' if you ain't knwon for yoru playmaking or defense, what are you in the league for? He was a bucket getter who looks liek he had that game when he was 'in the zone'. Loosk like it was a tight game against that good Kings team too.

So for me 1) Brewer 2) Burton 3) Delk 4) Murray - terrence Ross isn;t really that much of a surpise - dude is explosive and can drop points ina hurry.

Good points - you remember more than me!

I did some stats though too while I'm bored - anything stand out here? I'd have Walt Wesley at the top now as it was so long ago no-one remembers

TRoss and LeVert still active.

50pt wow stats.JPG

Back
Top Bottom