10 things I hate about the All-Australian squad

I agree with some of his points:

• The insanity that is the Cyril hype machine galls me at the best of times, but to say he's an All-Australian is absurd.
  • The selection of both Burgoyne and Ibbotson smacks rewarding players on elite teams, as happened with Geelong in 2007, as does the omission of Armitage.

I also disagree with some of his points:

• Hodge doesn't deserve a spot - he's missed nearly a quarter of the season and the fact that he's been suspended twice counts IMO.
  • Positional assignments are important even in hypothetical teams. Why have a team format if you are just going to say who the best 22 players are each year?
  • The lack of selection transparency.
Overall, when you are trying to met an pre-determined amount of players, you'll always have guys who are on the cusp and don't get selected. I think they did a fine job.

I think they got the squad pretty close. As i Hawks fan i must admit Burgoyne was pretty lucky to make it. A fantastic swing man, just put him where you need him and he does the job, kicking clutch goals if needed, winning clearances, and sweeping up in defence, but probably not excelling enough in any one position. But when it comes to Rioli, i think people forget what he does without the ball is just as important and influential as what he does with it, its not all about possessions. His tackling pressure is like nothing ever seen in the AFL, he does the little things that no other player could dream of. Sure there are small forwards that kicked more goals, but goals arnt everything.

Last edited:
I think they got the squad pretty close. As i Hawks fan i must admit Burgoyne was pretty lucky to make it. A fantastic swing man, just put him where you need him and he does the job, kicking clutch goals if needed, winning clearances, and sweeping up in defence, but probably not excelling enough in any one position. But when it comes to Rioli, i think people forget what he does without the ball is just as important and influential as what he does with it, its not all about possessions. His tackling pressure is like nothing ever seen in the AFL, he does the little things that no other player could dream of. Sure there are small forwards that kicked more goals, but goals arnt everything.

You know what - I've had a better look at the stats, and whilst your "His tackling pressure is like nothing ever seen in the AFL, he does the little things that no other player could dream of" comment helps power the hype machine another day, and I think he probably does deserve a spot in 40.

I'd still argue Betts deserves the sole true small forward position, given the structure of previous All-Australian teams.

Back
Top Bottom