Youth Olympics Festival, Jan 14th-18th @ Sydney

jimboiitmac

miami pride
Real Name
King James
eBay User
jimboiitmac
Anyone in Sydney get out to see the games?

These are essentially the teams that represented us in Guam earlier this year for the Oceania Championship, where if I'm not mistaken both men and women took out the gold for Australia.

Anyway in this tournament,

Women

Gold - Australia
Silver - Japan
Bronze - China

Men

Gold - Australia
Silver - China
Bronze - New Zealand

Did anyone in Sydney get out to see the games? I know the men demolished NZ on opening day something like 83-30 and beat China the following night 105-76 or something like that.

I got out to the grand final game tonight with a bunch of mates from school as it was the final night and the mens final @ 7 featured Australia vs China, despite both teams playing each other as they were in the same pool previously.

Australia came out on top 96-82 roughly I may be 2 points off either way, but it was a great game.

China was up 28-19 after the 1st and held that staved off a comeback from Australia to draw even at 34-34 before going on to take a 6 point lead going into halftime.

One of my best mates is in the starting lineup for Australia and finished with about 15 points with a handful of boards and assists, a great point forward with good vision, solid length and strength inside, decent stroke outside too.

We didn't take the lead until mid-way through the 3rd and had some inspiring play from one of the boys from Perth (#10, Hussey), who stole a pass from the inbounds and threw it down with both hands on the break (this guys only like 6'2 or 6'3). He also tipped in a missed 3 on the buzzer to give us a 67-65 lead going into the 4th.

Australia played some great ball in the 4th, China got quite frustrated and went into the penalty, our point guard sealed it with 3 or 4 pairs of free throws in the final few minutes and we kept up a steady pace as China misfired on desperation trey after trey.

Solid game all-round, there's a very talented squad for us in this age group, they'll definately challenge for gold at the actual Youth Olympics in Singapore, 2010.

Back
Top Bottom