Why do you barrack for your team?

Billyhoyle

Im Not Juan Garcia
Real Name
Andrew
eBay User
billyhoyle9
For many of us it is location based, however why do you barrack for your team?

For me - Growing up in Tassie, you don't have a location based allegiance. Mum barracked Hawthorn, Dad barracked for Melbourne - glad I chose Hawthorn!
Also being a child of the 80s it was pretty easy to support Hawthorn during that time

As a young tacker growing up in the 1980's I was a "cops and robbers" kind of kid, who couldn't play sport due to a heart problem...so I never really had a genuine heavy-duty interest in footy or sport in general until 1990, although like a lot of kids I occasionally collected the cards and stickers etc etc.

For some reason I decided to take a greater interest in footy (and sport) in 1990 and as Hawthorn had won the previous Premiership I decided that I may as well follow them. Since 1990 I have been a Hawthorn member and back then you used to get some really cool stuff in the membership packs. I'd read the Hawk Talk newsletter from cover to cover!

Mum has always been a Carlton supporter - she followed Sturt (the Double Blues) in the SANFL so decided to adopt the Navy Blues as her team when she started following the VFL as it was then. Dad used to follow Geelong but stopped doing so when they stood by Mark "Wacko" Jackson in the 1980's despite all of his negative antics. Today, Dad supports anyone playing Collingwood or Port Adelaide!

Been a massive Hawks fan since 1977. I got my first pack of VFL cards that year and the first card in the pack was a Hawks card, so Hawks it was. Had no other allegiances through family as my folks weren't very big sports fans.

Emigrated to Australia in 1988. Our first ever game was Hawthorn Vs Geelong and since then we've supported Hawthorn. It's great to see Hawthorn so powerful these days. Close to 70,000 members.

People have often questioned me why I go for Sydney when I live in Victoria. But my family followed South Melbourne and then followed them to Sydney. And I just grew up barracking for Sydney!

Old man followed Swan Districts, so I did too. Then we moved to Kununurra in '91 and by then the Eagles were established in the now AFL, and the WAFL too remote to keep track of.

Then we moved to QLD at the end of '95, and I lost touch again. But by the late 90s, the Bears and Lions merged and they had a purple patch which got more footy on QLD TV.

Mum is a lifelong Tige. Dad supported South Melbourne, but didn't follow them to Sydney, so went to Richmond, despite St Kilda being the closest club to them.

Back
Top Bottom