Strange Celts hobby trend??

chadjaja

On the way back!
Real Name
John Holmes
I still can't for the life of me figure this one out. Dennis Johnson was an integral part of the Celts titles in the 80's and led the Sonics to a title in the late 70's as well.

The Celtics have a massive card collecting following and he has only the two autos. His 03-04 ud legendary sig and the inscriptions version. The first sells for a few bucks??? The inscriptions sells for more but its got more to do with the set and /100, not the player. They sell at close to or over book constantly.

Surely collectors over the years had been waiting for a DJ sig and supply and demand should kick in. But no???

Why no Celts following for DJ??

Wonder what will happen when gotg is released in June with a McHale auto??

Celts fans, any feedback?

Thats worth a one week ban Scotty! :lol:

Go sit in the corner and think about what you said with the NBA encyclopedia and do some reading. :wink:

I agree with you Chad
I am working on the 03-04 UD Legends Legendary Sigs set, and the DJ is ALWAYS dirt cheap
I can't work it out
I mean maybe its that cheesy moustache?

Just a question, here, Chaddle's.

How many autos do Kurt Rambis or Michael Cooper (from Laker teams of same period) have. These 3 players, to me, had similar type games, and it only seems that you're beefing because your team, Boston, seems to have a player not recognised.

ahhh Rambis has a ud legendary sig and ud legends inscription.

Cooper has a ud legendary sig, ud legends inscription and an ud legends championship auto.

Both players have autos on the dual and tripple autos with other lakers. Both sell for more than the $2US you can get a DJ for.

I have a Rambis in person auto on a card too. I gave him shit about McHales coathanger! LOL He is quite a nice guy :D

My point exactly. These guys have only 2 or 3 autos too, as the main players from these 2 storied franchises have the most autos out there.

Remember, the card companies will generally only print cards that collectors will want, and not so much of lesser-known (but equally integral to their teams success) players.

Although, it is a shame that DJ's auto can be had for $2. I got his RC, so I'm happy with my collection of him.

Yeah I agree that Cooper should be more popular. DJ was more of a force than Rambis though. A C Green doesn't have any autos too I believe? I could be wrong though.

Ironic you say they dont have as many autos of player that are lesser known from those years. YET you can pay $150+ for a box and pull a Luke Walton auto!

ON ya Clarkey Go the DJ!!! :D
djrookie.jpg

I am talking about new releases of older players, not of current players.

I'm not totally sure, but this is my thinking. Current players are bound under NBA contracts, hence they really don't get much say in card releases.

Former players would need individual contracts with the card companies to license their cards. Hence less former players available for circulation (only really GU/Auto, not common)

Plus companies only put in the "name" players (Jordan, Bird, Magic, Dr J, Kareem, Parish, McHale etc), as most new collectors on the market don't have interest in the former years.

Yeah I wasn't clear. My point was its easy to get an auto of a scrub as long as he is playing now.

I'd love a Greg Kite auto etc. McHales will hit $100US for the first few when released.

i don't think AC Green has any auto's, but because of his long iron career i don't think he is recognized that widely as an 100% Laker, many fans and other people could debate as to whether if he had an auto, it would be in a lakers uniform.

eg. he just played so many seasons in so many different teams, what makes him a LAKER after he's finished playing.

You are kidding arn't you? AC will ALWAYS be known as a Laker first and foremost. Thats a given.

Thats like saying Ewing and Parish are known as Sonics and Bulls.

LOl good old Jimbo...

AC's a laker...through and through...also a devout christian I believe, and might not sign? I dont know?

Ahh well, good old DJ...

"aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand thats a Steal by bird, off ahead to DJ who lays it in!"

I'm drooling for a McHale auto.

DJ is being descriminated against because he is butt ugly. He almost makes Sam Cassell look good.

he's a devout christian?? awesome, so am i, go AC!!

nah Chad, what i mean is, AC was the lakers in the 80's, i only started following in about '93, so i don't know him 'through and through' as a laker, i've seen him with many other teams.

It's just the fact that since his career spanned for so long, those who are younger but still saw him in say, the late 90's, won't know him as a part of the showtime lakers.

no clarkes, that's not correct. just because we don't recognize AC as a lakers player 100% doesn't mean we have no interest or desire to know about the old days. it's just how it works, if you saw Shaq for only the last 3 seasons, you'd know him as a Miami player, doesn't mean you have no interest, just means that's how you've been brought up because you came from a different time frame.

Back
Top Bottom