Socceroos ranked 33rd

Allstar cards inc

"Got one more than Shaq!"
Real Name
Marcus
eBay User
allstar_cards_inc
http://www.fifa.com/en/mens/statistics/index/0,2548,All-Jul-2006,00.html

The link above is to the list of FIFA rankings following the World Cup. We moved up 9 places from 42 to 33. Italy moved up to 2nd behind Brazil. But the biggest eyebrow-raisers are the Ivory Coast (who didn't get past the group stage) moving from 32 to 20, Switzerland (knocked out in the final 16 like the Socceroos)from 35 to 13 and Ukraine (Quarter finalists) moving from 45 to 15.
The big losers were Japan 18th to 49 and Korea 29 to 56. We are now the highest ranked Asian Confederation team...for what it's worth!!!

strange! I thought that the socceroos woulda jumped up higher? media reports even said top 16? How came those teams made bigger gains andwe did just as well? Hope we kick some ass in the Asia comp!

cliffy21 said:
LMAO! :) Does drawing with Netherlands and beating Greece count for nothing as well?

This has been discussed thoroughly with the talk-show radio that I listen to during work time.

Firstly, yes, Australia have done very well in the World Cup but we must understand that a draw or played well against the ex-World Champion (Brazil) does not gain us a point. It doesn't judge that way. Theoratically, we only won one game during the WC and that was against Japan. Other games we either drew or lost. I'm sure you don't get any gain or points if you drew but if someone can confirm me or prove me wrong, it would be appreciated.

Secondly, we gained like 9 positions. Another factor to understand is the point gaps prior to the World Cup. Teams like Ivory Coast or Switzerland may have a closer point gap to the teams ahead of them, prior to the WC, hence, they gained more positioned than Australia. Again, correct me if I'm wrong.

Thirdly, until we start playing Brazil, Argentina, France, Italy, Czech Republic in a frequent basis and beating them repeatedly, don't expect us to be in the top 15 countries. We play Solomon Islands, New Zealand, Fiji etc for friendlies, so I hope you get my point there. And yes, playing in the Asia Cup will definitely gain us some extra points and positions, assuming that we are in a winning form. Another point is that we need to play more friendlies matches. Playing 5-8 friendlies per year is not enough when Brazil and other top teams plays 20+ friendlies per year.

33rd sounds about accurate. I would've predicted maybe high 20's so I'm not too far off. Teams such as Nigeria etc that are still ahead of us because they have made it to the World Cups prior to this one just passed. We, Australia, has missed the WC until this year since the 70's or 80's. (Not sure which year to be exact) But I have no reason and also puzzled as to why Guinea is ranked so highly. :p

Cheers~

good point there Henkita! I am still puzzled about Uruguay moving up 8 spots without even qualifying for the Cup. Surely they didn't have that many friendlies in that timeframe? Ghana.. who knows :)

justdabestcards said:
Don't pay attention to those rankings, they are far from accurate ;)

i agree, i mean werent the USA team ranked quite high , prior to the cup and then they bombed out completely???

Please don't be ignorant guys!!

FIFA has a shit load of rules and factors that makes up for these positions. I highly doubt FIFA would mess up Australia's ranking just for the heck of it.

As I said, playing in lots of games and competitions per year will bring points home for us. Watch our rankings go on a climb when we participate on the Asian Cup. How do you think Japan climbed to 18th on the rankings? Before this participation on the Asian Cup, we never participated on any highly prestigious competitons, hence, our low ranking to start with.

Just because we reached the last 16 on the WC, doesn't mean we should be on the top 16th team in the world. Neither do we gain points or positions if we played well against Brazil, France or Italy. But I do question teams like USA & Guinea to have such a high ranking but I'm sure there is/are logical explanation behind it. We just got to research what they have done for the last 2 years.

Nevertheless, if you wish to not take these world positions seriously, then I sincerely hope when it comes the time for Australia to be in the Top 10 or even #1 in the world, you will say the same thing then as you said now. Don't take these positions seriously..... (type of comments)

Cheers~

http://www.fifa.com/en/mens/statistics/rank/procedures/0,2540,3,00.html

The above link is to the FIFA World Rankings procedure. As of July 12th there is a new "simpler" procedure to determine the rankings. This is the first change in 13 years.

I think a lot of the frustration in soccer (and the rankings) lies in the fact that, at times, administrators and back-room politics can influence the result of the game more than the players themselves. It is a sport flush with money which leads to greed and corruption if not properly policed...hence the matchfixing issues in Italy.

i would like to think that we are in the top 25 atleast i mean come on how can Uraguay jump up in the top 20 when we kicked their ass?

The rankings system is a joke and seems to favour certain countries from there areas around the world.

henkita217 said:
Please don't be ignorant guys!!
I do question teams like USA & Guinea to have such a high ranking but I'm sure there is/are logical explanation behind it. We just got to research what they have done for the last 2 years.

Let us know the findings from your research H. I think you'll find it's far from just Australians who question the current ranking system. Coca Cola helped set the formula for a start :lol:

btw Australia last played in the 1974 WC, also in Germany.

justdabestcards said:
Let us know the findings from your research H. I think you'll find it's far from just Australians who question the current ranking system. Coca Cola helped set the formula for a start :lol:

btw Australia last played in the 1974 WC, also in Germany.

Man, I haven't got time to do a research for this FIFA Rankings. I already got a headache by just reading and skimming through the first 3 rules on how teams gets points etc.

I'm just saying that I'm sure they won't stuff up World rankings like these because I'm sure the big people in charge of Australia soccer would be investigating it by now because obviously, World Rankings is quite important to us and for our image.

What did you think of my second point though as to why Australia didn't climb as high as Swiss or Ivory Coast??

Secondly, we gained like 9 positions. Another factor to understand is the point gaps prior to the World Cup. Teams like Ivory Coast or Switzerland may have a closer point gap to the teams ahead of them, prior to the WC, hence, they gained more positioned than Australia. Again, correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers~

I haven't gone through all the rankings but your statement on the Swiss and Ivory Coast looks to be correct. Switzerland were better than us hands down. Even though they didn't qualify, on paper the Ivory Coast achieved good results which were almost identical to Australia in the group stage. Would make sense if they started ahead of Aust before the WC, then they should still be ahead after it.

There isn't a World Ranking System which has much respect or credibility in world football but I think FIFA will get that sorted out which would be good. Until then the rankings mean little. This will eventually change which will be better for everyone.

http://www.eloratings.net/
the system I prefer which was posted by lockymac in 121s :D

Back
Top Bottom