Sheedy Sacked

MetallicA'

Ricky Davis Collector
eBay User
senyac1
WOW i didn't see that coming, the guy has been their for like 27 years lol, you would of thought the club would of let him see out the year because he has been their for so long and the Dons still have a small chance in making the finals. Very strange :eek:

Four Coaches Gone:
Danners
Connolly
Pagan
Sheedy

maybe Lyon by the end of the year if they dont make the finals but surely no one else :lol: What a weird week in football! :blink:

WOW i didn't see that coming, the guy has been their for like 27 years lol, you would of thought the club would of let him see out the year because he has been their for so long and the Dons still have a small chance in making the finals. Very strange :eek:

Four Coaches Gone:
Danners
Connolly
Pagan
Sheedy

maybe Lyon by the end of the year if they dont make the finals but surely no one else :lol: What a weird week in football! :blink:

I can't see Lyon being sacked this soon, even if the Saints dont make the finals.

I can see Laidley leaving for the Freo job; he will probably stay at Arden St. Thompson will probably be tempted by the Essendon job; I reckon he will leave Geelong if they dont win the flag or at least make the GF.

Thompson and Daniher would probably the favs for the Essendon job, along with Harvey. Daniher would have to be considered in the race for the Freo job; I can see they going with a home grown coach this time around.

The Carlton job is probably the worst job in the AFL at the moment, someone like Michael Voss or some lower profile assistant will take it, and probably regret it BIG TIME. Carlton is ruined for the foreseeable future; the draft picks are great, but without those draft picks for 2 or 3 years awhile back, there is a generation gap; until Walker, Gibbs, Murphy, the Big Irishman are senior players (around 25-28) they will not get out of the doldrums.

Just my 2c, GO CATTERS

they didnt sack him immediately, they just said they wont be offering him a contract at years end. 27 years is way too long anyway. he should have retired after they won it in 2000.

they didnt sack him immediately, they just said they wont be offering him a contract at years end. 27 years is way too long anyway. he should have retired after they won it in 2000.

he got offered a 1 year extension,and he declined,mate just wondering why he should of retired of the 2000 grand final win?

cheers

A meeting between Kevin Sheedy and Peter Jackson in late January confirmed this would be Sheedy’s last year as coach of the Bombers – it was just a matter of when to tell everyone else.

At Wednesday’s press conference, Bombers Managing Director, Jackson, said the decision to end Sheedy’s reign was a challenging one.

Jackson regonised that the Bombers were at a crucial stage in terms of their future, given the pending retirement of Brownlow medallist James Hird and their ageing list.

“The board made the decision with a three to five year time horizon,” Jackson said, relating the decision to the development of the playing list.

Jackson acknowledged the legacy that Sheedy will leave Windy Hill.

“He is a legend, he will be recognised as a legend of this football club, he will be recognised as a legend of the AFL in due course I have no doubt about that.”

Jackson noted that the players wanted to pay tribute to Sheedy in the remaining weeks of the season, but that the club had to become involved in finding a replacement as soon as possible.

“Good coaches don’t grow on trees and we have to be in the game to find one,” he said.

After discussions in January and then again May, Sheedy agreed that the time to announce the decision had to be now.

“I think that when you look at the number of players we’ve brought into the team this year it’s very hard when you’ve won eight and lost eight and sitting just outside the eight,” Sheedy said.

“It’s the right time now because there’ll be four jobs on the market for a start off and I think this club’s got to get on with making the next decision and it’s a pretty important decision for the club to make.”

Sheedy, although accepting of the decision, did seem somewhat somber amongst his positivity.

“I don’t think its necessarily correct or a mistake,” he said of the club’s decision to end his 27-year reign as coach.

Sheedy has coached Essendon in 629 matches including four premierships.

The 59-year-old is second on the all-time list behind Collingwood legend Jock McHale, who coached the Magpies 714 times from 1912-49.

Back
Top Bottom