SBW gone, by the looks of things... :(

axeman23

OzCardTrader
Can't say I blame him, though... The Bulldogs, especially the new board, brought this on themselves by worrying too much about being "PC" and less about winning. I mean, I was under the impression the NRL was a buisness, and you tried to maximise your success. The Dogs, Raiders (with Carney), and several other teams have failed their supporters in this regard. If you want to have a "nice" team to support and sit around with come playoff time watching the WINNING teams, good on ya. I prefer to watch the highest standard of play with the best results. The Dogs got rid of Mason, and have now burnt their bridges with Maitua, Ben Roberts and Te Maari, and for what??? Because they don't volunteer down at the local soup kitchen in their free time??? "Oh, my god! You were DRINKING??? Unacceptable!" And with Mason, it was just a Johnson-measuring contest about him wanting to do ONE boxing match for charity. I wouldn't want to play there either! Same things happening with Carney at the Raiders, over something that never even stuck in a police report. I hope those 2 teams tie for the wooden spoon now!

But irregardless of the circumstances you can be run out of town? Which is what happened to Carney, several Broncos players, Tim Smith, several Bulldog players...

glad to see the 2 most overated ****ers in the NRL piss off to France within weeks of each other

SBW shouldn't be welcomed back in the NRL ever again in fact dont come back to Australia period

all he ever did was piss & moan about something (money,why cant sheep shaggers play Origin,Mason etc)

calling him a dog is a compliment as far as i'm concerned dogs are supposed to be loyal which he wouldn't now the meaning of

Glad to see the back of him BUT... the NRL will be in big trouble in a few years if this player drain continues.

Well said Bongman. Talk about a bloke biting the hand that fed him. To quit a sport that give you everythig to go and play second division rugby in France, is a slap in the face for anyone that trained, played or helped him in any kind of way during his rugby league years. As for the player drain, i dont think this will hurt rugby league at all, young players like Cherrington from the roosters, Williams from the Eels and i guy that will get his chance tonight because SBW left, Danny Barber, who can play the game, will always and continue to filter into the NRL.

So do you guys also feel a guy who leaves a job at a small computer programming company to take up a higher paying job with microsoft, or a worker at a small loans institution to take up a job at Commonwealth/National are traitors too? Or is this just buisness sense? Small buisnesses get their talent head-hunted all the time, and go belly-up due to lack of said talent all the time, but you rarely read a single article about that, let alone have page after pge of vitriole. If there was no cap on salaries in Australian sport, we'd probably still have Gasnier, Tuquiri, Sonny-bill, and in other fields possibly Bogut, Kewell, Viduka, Neill... But due to clubs wanting caps in place to "keep an even playing field", these players can get much more overseas, therfore their market value is too high to play here. I also hear a lot of talk about if there was no cap a few cashed up teams will dominate while quite a few will struggle. Well, isn't that life? Survival of the fittest???

Personally i dont have an issue with him going for more $$ - its more about the way he has done it. In most jobs you give 30days notice - that way you dont leave a mess (or the posibility of returning). By leaving this way, he has opened up legal action against him as well as losing a lot of respect for maturity.

Agreed, I dont have any qualms with a guy wanting to earn extra money, but to be involved with alot of planning for the future of the Bulldogs, going for coffee with Tod Greenberg(CEO) and telling him he was here for the long haul numerous times and than to run off like a spoilt brat leaves a bad taste in the mouth of any league fan. To publicly criticise Willie Mason than about face and do the same thing is ridiculous.

Personally i dont have an issue with him going for more $$ - its more about the way he has done it. In most jobs you give 30days notice - that way you dont leave a mess (or the posibility of returning). By leaving this way, he has opened up legal action against him as well as losing a lot of respect for maturity.

I can respect that, especially with regards to his (ex)teammates, who you'd think were not to blame for his decision. I just don't see what he was doing as being as bad as it's portrayed, when clubs get a free-pass when shunting players off...

I can't see why this french club (if they are so cashed up) just couldn't offer the Bulldogs a huge transfer fee to buy SBW. If a EPL football (soccer) club lost a contracted player to an Italian or Spainish club etc without a transfer fee, there is no way it would be accepted.
On a bit of a side note. Isn't it funny how Mundine always does something controversial a few days before he fights someone, ie this time taking SBW to the airport.
As much as I dislike him- he is the master of publicity.

Mundine and SBW have the same manager so Mundine was always going to say something controversial to support him.

Like most people, i have no problem that he left the game for more money. If the opportunity is there then why not take it. The disapointing thing is that he told noone, not even his teammates. He had been named in the team to play the Dragons on Monday night, had gone out for drinks with his teamates the day before, then suddenly they hear through the grapevine that Sonny is on a plane on his way the France???What the hell is that??? I really want to hear what Sonny has to say on the whole thing because he may well have a good reason for backdooring it the way he did, it's just hard to think of a reason that could possibly justify it.

Obviously contracts aren't worth anything anymore. Pretty disappointing for the Bulldogs, their fans and the NRL.

Back
Top Bottom