Olympic qualifying tournament

thin man's hat

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Nathan
The Aussie Olympic Baseball squad has commenced play in the qualifying tournament in Taiwan. Friday night saw them beat the baseball minnows Germany 4-1. However on Saturday night our pitching lost the plot and we went down to Korea 16-2 in 7 innings, with the 10-run rule being invoked! As if that wasnt bad enough, our best pitching came from Paul Weichard - who started the game in centrefield! He faced six batters in two innings and got three strikeouts. Sign him up to start the next game!

Australia meets Canada today at 3.30pm (AEST) and will be looking to get an important win.

Weichard pitched in the Canada exhibition series...he got tonked in the game I saw.

I thought it was only in little league that we swapped positions...shows the lack of depth in Australian pitching. If only we could get Moylan, Stephens, Blackley, Stockman...someone like that back...

After what I saw in Qld, I don't think we'll beat Canada. Don't know what that means for our Olympic hopes.

Mark.

looks like we pulled our fingers out!
we got 13 hits and won 10-5

Steve Kent pitched 6 digs, for 6 hits, 3 runs and 6ks

Glenn Williams went 3 for 4, Daniel Berg got 3 hits and 3 rbi

Pitching went a bit off the mark later in the game, we gave up 2 runs in both the 7th and 8th innings.

Better performance overall though. Up against Mexico tomorrow.

YES!
I forgot, I should have watched the game. Good for Kent to put in a solid performance. Daniel Berg has been very consistant the past couple of years, he must be catching the eye of US teams...

Mark.

GOING, GOING...ALMOST GONE
Australia shut-out by Taiwan - Beijing in serious doubt

Play-By-Play Recap

Box Score - By Innings

R
H
E

AUSTRALIA

Chinse Taipei
x

Australia’s chances to qualify for the Beijing Olympic Games are almost non-existent following a disappointing 5-0 loss to hosts Chinese Taipei on the fifth day of competition at the 2008 Final Olympic Qualifying Tournament in Taichung.

Playing in front of a sold-out crowd, the Aussies ran into 9-innings of brilliant pitching from Chinese Taipei tarting pitcher Chien-Fu Yang, whose complete game gem had the estimated 35,000 fans in an all-out frenzy from the first pitch of the game to the last.

The win now assures Taiwan a place in the 2008 Olympic Games, as they join Korea in filling two of the top three places in the tournament.

For Australia however, while they remain a mathematical chance to qualify, it places them in a dire situation - having to win both of their remaining games and then rely on Canada to drop their final two contests against Korea and rank outsiders Germany.

The Aussie squad was understandably dejected after the game as the reality that they will most likely be watching the Olympics on television this August set in.

Head Coach Jon Deeble said the most disappointing thing was the fact that as reigning Silver Medallists Australia would not get the opportunity to defend their medals in Beijing.

“Of course I am disappointed, but we really didn’t play all the bad tonight,” Deeble said.

“Their guy threw a pretty impressive game, and aside from a coupe of mistakes on defence, there wasn’t a lot more we could have done tonight.”

“But the real shame of it all is that we were put in this situation in the first place – as Silver Medallists we should have been given a shot at direct qualification,” he said.

While the loss was incredibly difficult to stomach, their remained several noteworthy performance by the Australians – including 19-year-old Liam Hendriks’ impressive work in relief.

Hendriks, who came to the mound after starter Paul Mildren exited in the 6th inning, showed poise well beyond his years; allowing just one hit as he proceeded to strike out 5 of the 11 batter’s he faced over the final three frames.

What made the debutante’s performance even more special was that it came in the coliseum-like atmosphere at Taiwan’s Dou-Liou Stadium.

“At one point there it was so loud you couldn’t even hear the guy next to you in the dugout,” utility Andy Utting said after the game.

“Outside maybe Game 7 of the World Series, I doubt there would be too many places in the world that would witness a crowd like that tonight,” he said.

In addition to Hendriks’ heroics on the mound, fellow West Australian Luke Hughes continued to shine at the plate and in the field.

Hughes hit safely in his first two plate appearances on the night - which ran his streak to five straight at-bats in which he had recorded a safe hit – and made a highlight reel play late in the game that for a fleeting moment looked to spark the Aussies into action.

Australia will now turn their attention toward what they can control, by winning their final two games against Spain and South Africa – while keeping every finger and toe crossed that their Beijing dreams stay alive.

Stay tuned to Australian Baseball Federation for all the updates.

Gone

Bugger, would have liked to see Oz defend their silver medal.
Thats what happens when players are too good and end up in the MLB.
Really depleted the team.

And there is not going to be a next time as I think this is the last time baseball will be at the Olympics.

Deeble's got a point....not agreeing about the missing MLB players but those in the Korean/Japanese League...Imagine if we had OXspring, what a difference a pitcher of his calibre would have made.

I think defending medalists should have automatic qualification.

So who has qualified? Bet we'll see alot of Asian teams there, what with the Olympics in Beijing and all.

Mark.

yeah i dont even know who has qualified. I imagine that teams like USA, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico etc have all already qualified, but they werent in this tournament... i dont know how they got in. I dont really know how it all works, and the IBAF website is not much chop

Back
Top Bottom