Need techno help for PC

clarkescards

OzCards Greatest Hero!!!!
Real Name
Andrew
eBay User
clarkescards
As stated in a post earlier, I had problems with my PC over the weekend.

Thursday night, Windows auto updated, and requested a restart. After I finished surfing, I restarted my computer, but every time Windows tried to load (the application, not the startup) it would restart my PC.

Eventually I got sick of this happening, so I reloaded Windows.

When I finally got back in to Windows, everything seemed to be working fine, except when I tried to use my Flash Disk (USB Disk), I discover none of my 6 USB ports are working, nor do they appear in the Hardware profile.

Does anybody with hardware experience know of something I can try, as I cannot scan or print until I get them working (as my Printer is connected through USB port).

Cheers.

I spose 1st to check is that they ARE connected to the Motherboard...

2nd I guess, is that you go into your Control Panel, into System, and click on the Hardware Tab. From there, click on Device Manager, and you'll be given a list of all Devices connected or associated with your PC.

From here, you will see Yellow !'s for those not connected properly, or not having the appropriate drivers.

Should be able to do an Update Driver online, else you'll need to search for it.

If you have your PC's original CD's/DVD you should be able to recover the appropriate Drivers from there.

As for your PC restarting, where about's is this happening? Could be just a Window's bug, and needs a Window's Update, or could have a problem worse.....

LMK...

My guess is that your scanner and usb ports are sick of scanning all those Magic cards and other non Celtics stuff! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you need I'll send you some Celts stuff or buy some of your own and it should kick start both PC's! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chad - I do have some Celts in PC. Some Bird, Pierce, McHale, Parish...

Mavs - they were connected before the auto update. I've chacked under the hardware (& device list), but the USB device is not listed, and hence why it appears they are not there. I'll open up the computer tom, but from memory, the USB ports are (at least some are) attached to the motherboard.

BTW - it was the Windows update which caused the problem. Would you trust Microsoft again???

I got 2 more beauties today, 1 which I can't believe got through both Lippos & Ruckers hands. It'd be nice to scan them.

Cheers.

Yeah Microsoft can be pretty dodgey at times, but sometimes, they've got bugs in their releases (patches) and you need to make sure ALL available updates are installed.

Log on, and go to Start, All Programs, Windows Update (assuming you're running WinXP?). Do you have Service Pack 2? It's a big update, but should be ok with Broadband.

When you're in the Windows Updates (online), do a Custom update, and pick EVERYTHING you can.

Install all updates, and see how you go.

You could also, unplug the USB device from the Motherboard, and start up your PC, then shut it down, and plug them back in, and restart. Hopefully it will pick them up...

if windows update caused the problem you could use system restore to take i t back to when your computer was working properly

with xp most usb devices need to be signed. my old scanner doesnt work on my computer anymore after i updated to xp pro. :? and thats the only reason i can think of.

Ducky - I'm 90% certain it's the USB connection that's the problem, as it won't read printer or USB disks that had been working fine.

Korver - Haven't tried System restore, but I did try to reload previous working load-up, and it suffered the same symptoms of restarting every time it went to load Windows.

Mavs - XP, w/SP2, is what I'm running. Will visit Microsoft update site. Will definitely try to unplug/replug USB tonight. Cheers.

Hopefully I can get it working properly, again.

Cheers for the help guys.

Clarkey, I wouldnt recommend using a System Restore option on the PC. You're better of restoring the PC from original discs, and starting again.

Try using another USB plug, some PCs have them on the front, back, side, etc etc etc...

Try plugging another USB device in there, see if it picks it up.

Window's updates can sometimes cause a loop-hole in your operating system, but 9.5/10 they have a patch to recover, so best be sure you have all available updates.

Good luck dude.

You need your scanner up and running for box break day Clarkey! How else can you show off your box break to rival Twolves32's huh???

Back
Top Bottom