"Got one more than Shaq!"
Real Name
Marcus
eBay User
allstar_cards_inc
From todays Herald-Sun

Quarterback Michael Vick's career gone to the dogs

December 12, 2007 12:00am
US superstar quarterback Michael Vick's sensational career appears all but over after he was sentenced to 23 months' jail for running a "cruel and inhumane" underground dog fighting ring.

The Atlanta Falcons footballer pleaded guilty to dog fighting conspiracy charges and admitted personally helping to kill up to eight pit bull terriers that had under-performed in fights.

Deemed not aggressive enough, the dogs were sickeningly electrocuted, drowned, hanged or shot.

Vick faced a maximum sentence of five years but, after reaching a plea agreement, prosecutors had requested up to 18 months in jail.

US District Court Judge Henry Hudson said that while Vick had shown contrition he had not accepted responsibility for his actions.

He must serve 80 per cent of his jail term.

"You were instrumental in promoting, funding, and facilitating this cruel and inhumane sporting activity and I am convinced it was not a momentary lapse in judgment," Judge Hudson told Vick in court in Richmond, Virginia.

"You were a full partner and at least equally culpable (as your co-defendants)."

Vick will miss at least two National Football League seasons and has been suspended from the game indefinitely.

His lawyer, Billy Martin, described the case as a tragedy in the player's life.

"Michael has fallen so hard, so far, so fast," he said.

"He has been punished for his mistake."

The 27-year-old footballer's fall from grace comes at a time when fans have been shattered by the actions of several American sporting stars.

Disgraced sprint queen Marion Jones, who was stripped of the five medals -- including three gold -- she won at the 2000 Sydney Olympic Games, will be sentenced next month for lying about drug cheating.

And baseball star Barry Bonds, who this year entered the record books when he claimed the home run record with 762, is fighting allegations of lying about steroid abuse.

Vick's crimes have repulsed Americans because of his callous cruelty to animals.

In 2001 Vick was the NFL's number one draft pick.

The quarterback signed a 10-year $US130 million contract with the Falcons and his endorsements were worth many millions more.

He has now lost all his contracts with companies such as Nike.

Judge Hudson said: "You need to apologise to the millions of young people who looked up to you", to which Vick responded "yes, sir".

Vick said he had used "poor judgment", adding "I'm willing to deal with the consequences and accept responsibility for my actions".

Vick bankrolled the Bad Newz Kennels dog fighting operation from 2001 to 2007 on his rural Virginia property.

He admitted providing money for bets on the fights but said he never shared in any winnings.

Falcons owner Arthur Blank said it was a difficult day for Vick's family, the players and fans who had emotionally invested in the player.

"We sincerely hope that Michael will use this time to continue to focus his efforts on making positive changes in his life, and we wish him well in that regard," Mr Blank said.

Vick initially pleaded not guilty but changed his plea after his co-defendants reached plea deals and agreed to testify against him.

Court documents show he is now in financial strife, with the Falcons and several financial groups taking legal action against him to recoup millions of dollars related to his signings and loans.

man... im in the states now... & that was ALL they talked about yesterday.....

well... he did a very very bad thing... & reckon he should have got more time.... but i suppose he will pump iron behind bars for the next 23 mths....

& the word is he wont be allowed to play again... the NFL Commissioner will give him more punishment....

I have to laugh at the intelligent responses we get on here.:lol:

He stuffed up and the judge made an example of him.:thumbsup:

This is as big as Ben Hur because the Falcons had a new coach (Bobby Petrino) until he walked out without addressing the players after their loss against the Saints on Monday, he then went on to accept a job with Arkansas as the head coach after all the Vick news was legit.:rolleyes: Great Timing.:rolleyes:

Who cares though, because the BOYS are 12-1. Pats here we come.

I have to laugh at the intelligent responses we get on here.:lol:

He stuffed up and the judge made an example of him.:thumbsup:

This is as big as Ben Hur because the Falcons had a new coach (Bobby Petrino) until he walked out without addressing the players after their loss against the Saints on Monday, he then went on to accept a job with Arkansas as the head coach after all the Vick news was legit.:rolleyes: Great Timing.:rolleyes:

Who cares though, because the BOYS are 12-1. Pats here we come.

Running an illegal dog fighting ring and killing/torturing innocent animals for sport is not "stuffing up".. Like "oops i didnt mean to do that" :thumbsup:

Running an illegal dog fighting ring and killing/torturing innocent animals for sport is not "stuffing up".. Like "oops i didnt mean to do that" :thumbsup:

I in no way condone the torture/killing of dogs. But I do think the judge went out of his way to make an example of Vick. I mean, he went above and beyond what the "plea bargain" the prosecution agreed to, wanted to punish him with. That also IMO makes it messy for future stars thinking of taking a plea bargain. They might think the judge in their case might not accept the punishment term everyone else agreed to, and keep fighting for months/years.

The other thing I don't see is how he got jail time while many previous cruelty cases just resulted in fines. A little consistancy, please? I mean, I remember in Brisbane a few weeks back, some guy tortured and killed a kitten who was still some families pet (not an animal from the pound like Vick's dogs), and what did he get, a few hundred in fines. Same as those blokes who shot the fur seals down in Victoria or something. I'd say hundreds of cases of animal abuse happen each day, and the vast majority result in a fine, or MAYBE a few hours community service.

Also, I like how people try to make the argument more emotive by saying "that could've been my little Fifi!". Well, unless you got tired of little Fifi, and dumped little Fifi on the street or in the pound, that COULDN'T be your little Fifi, could it? And I don't see anyone complaining about the people who originally owned the dogs and just turfed them out of their homes when they were bored with them...

BTW, Matty. I agree the "illegal dog fighting ring" made it worse for Vick. But I do ask myself, "why is that?" Why is it more ok to torture and kill a dog just for the sick pleasure it brings some nut, rather than killing them in illegal dog fighting? And sorry to be cynical, but it all comes down to the mighty green-back. The government can't tax gambling that they don't know about, so when they find it, they make an example of the people involved.

Same with drugs/alcohol in Australia. I'm not a user of anything other than alcohol, but I do know quite a few people who enjoy a joint. Now the government would have you believe that these people are a danger to society, that they'll go out mugging/killing to get money to support their habit, that they're not in control. Then they use this to say weed is bad/illegal, and this is why. So what about alcohol? Do people not get violent on alcohol? Do people not fight kill other people on alcohol? But thats deemed of lesser importance, because the government gets their cut of all alcohol sales.

Anyway, enough thread jacking, I was just saying basicly governments don't like illegal betting, not because of a moral issue, but coz they cant get their cut. And Vick, having been caught in this, had to take a fall...

I think regardless of what others have got in the past that Vicks sentence was light. Its more a case of what the public want to see for such cruel crimes.

And putting a dog in a shelter is hardly criminal. You do so in the hope the dog goes to a good home rather than just turfing it out on the streets. Comparing the two to any degree is just wrong.

I wish the pound could sue him as well and get a good money windfall for all the good work they do. Vick violated the terms on which you take a dog imo.

Tougher sentences have to start somewhere and why not make Vick a poster boy for it?

I think regardless of what others have got in the past that Vicks sentence was light. Its more a case of what the public want to see for such cruel crimes.

And putting a dog in a shelter is hardly criminal. You do so in the hope the dog goes to a good home rather than just turfing it out on the streets. Comparing the two to any degree is just wrong.

I wish the pound could sue him as well and get a good money windfall for all the good work they do. Vick violated the terms on which you take a dog imo.

Tougher sentences have to start somewhere and why not make Vick a poster boy for it?

I agree with tougher sentencing, Chad. But I'd like to see it accross the board, that's all. As for putting your dog in a shelter, I disagree, unless you're moving interstate or overseas. I mean, having an animal should be a commitment, not something you get board with and shunt it off to a "shelter". BTW, what do these people think is going to happen to pit-bulls at shelters? It's not like they're your cute-n-cuddly "bring one home for your 6y.o.," garden variety pet. Either they get picked up by people like Vick looking for a fighter/guard, or they get put down. I mean, do people thing being "put down" is some code for they get to roam free in some forest with all the other dogs that got "put down"? I've had a few of my dogs picked up by the council at various stages, for being out of their yard, usually after storms. But you can bet the next day I was calling around furiously looking for them, and bailing them out when I found them. If you don't do this, IMO you don't deserve a dog much more than Vick does. JMO...

I think there is a massive difference between someone being mentally unstable and injuring/killing any animal and someone being involved in a system of repeated and deliberate cruelty for profit and "enjoyment". One is sick the other is evil.

I think there is a massive difference between someone being mentally unstable and injuring/killing any animal and someone being involved in a system of repeated and deliberate cruelty for profit and "enjoyment". One is sick the other is evil.

Thats a valid opinion, and one which I suspect a lot of people may share. But what I'm wondering is, if these people are genuinely "sick", then why aren't they in institutions? Either they're displaying totally normal behavior in every facet of their life that doesn't involve torturing/killing things (in which case I sometimes think they're hiding behind something which is not P.C to question), or they/we are both being failed by the government in its duty of care toward all of us as citizens.

Another thing I wonder is this: If Michael Vick/these supposed "sick" people were working for the CIA/ASIO they'd probably be considered "great at their job" torturing suspects (many innocent) into confessions, and recieve medals for this behaviour which most consider "sick". So what's going on there? It's ok to torture/kill humans now?

I in no way condone the torture/killing of dogs. But I do think the judge went out of his way to make an example of Vick. I mean, he went above and beyond what the "plea bargain" the prosecution agreed to, wanted to punish him with. That also IMO makes it messy for future stars thinking of taking a plea bargain. They might think the judge in their case might not accept the punishment term everyone else agreed to, and keep fighting for months/years.

The other thing I don't see is how he got jail time while many previous cruelty cases just resulted in fines. A little consistancy, please? I mean, I remember in Brisbane a few weeks back, some guy tortured and killed a kitten who was still some families pet (not an animal from the pound like Vick's dogs), and what did he get, a few hundred in fines. Same as those blokes who shot the fur seals down in Victoria or something. I'd say hundreds of cases of animal abuse happen each day, and the vast majority result in a fine, or MAYBE a few hours community service.

Also, I like how people try to make the argument more emotive by saying "that could've been my little Fifi!". Well, unless you got tired of little Fifi, and dumped little Fifi on the street or in the pound, that COULDN'T be your little Fifi, could it? And I don't see anyone complaining about the people who originally owned the dogs and just turfed them out of their homes when they were bored with them...

Wasnt part of his sentence to do with the fact he was running an underground illegal gambling ring aswell???

2 very different countries and 2 completely different legal systems.

Also, I like how people try to make the argument more emotive by saying "that could've been my little Fifi!". Well, unless you got tired of little Fifi, and dumped little Fifi on the street or in the pound, that COULDN'T be your little Fifi, could it?

I am not sure about the Vick case, but in some dog fighting rings, it has been known that the owners/leaders actually steal dogs to either use in the fights or to use to train the fighting dogs. I wont go into detail with what happens to these poor dogs who are stolen. I am sure you can figure it out.

2 very different countries and 2 completely different legal systems.

I am not sure about the Vick case, but in some dog fighting rings, it has been known that the owners/leaders actually steal dogs to either use in the fights or to use to train the fighting dogs. I wont go into detail with what happens to these poor dogs who are stolen. I am sure you can figure it out.

Hoffa, I'm sure quite a few dogs are stolen to be used in fighting, but from what I read, Vick's dog's seem to all have been purchased legally from shelters. If someone finds something to suggest they were stolen, I'd have no problem being wrong, but this is just what I've heard.

Back
Top Bottom