HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ME! (coppers major bad mojo story)

kidd05

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Carlos
eBay User
cahl0s05
Dec 31.. I was driving down the road, my dad in the passenger seat, and the rest of my fam (4) cramped in the back. At a stoplight intersection, a police car turned left and was behind me. Soon enough, they were tailing me and pulled me over.

The cop asked for my drivers license, and gave me a breath test. He said my infringement is that I had 4 people in the back, and 2 were sharing seatbelts. I said "fair enough, I wasnt sure if it was illegal or not coz the book says "IF POSSIBLE, DONT HAVE 4 PEOPLE IN THE BACK".

So the cop doesnt give me anything.. he just got my license details and said expect a letter from the RTA. I was hoping the letter would never come, and that it was only a warning, but lo and behold.. who now has an infringement letter worth 6 demerit points and $220! WAAAH! :(

Anyone had similar experiences? Wasnt the cop supposed to give me a ticket? Any advise aside from "BAD LUCK KIDDO!" hehe.

Oh well. Time to buy another car!

I thought the law was as long as everyone that can wear a seatbelt is wearing one you are OK but its still not good. While we were in Tassie a Rav 4 rolled and a kid got flung from the car and killed. He was the only one not wearing a seatbelt. Something to consider why you got booked. $220 isn't worth the same as one of your family members Carlos.

I would have made one walk hehe.

Hehe true. Would probably get another car by this weekend. We got pulled over 1 minute away from our destination- which was 5 mins away from my house. :(

Oh well. What happened happened for a reason! And Im sure that was to prevent future accidents aye? :)

ahh tough luck mate, Ive been in a car with 4 in the back before, police came up beside us and just shouted "everyone got a belt" and we all nodded...and they kept going...that was many years ago now though

I thought the law was as long as everyone that can wear a seatbelt is wearing one you are OK but its still not good.

This is definately true in WA. Heres a funny story.

Group of us were driving around Margeret River, south of Perth. 3 in the back me shotgun with my g/friend on my lap and the driver. My mate in the middle in the back was not wearing a seat belt.

We got pulled over and we all jumped out of the car so there was no proof of no seatbelts. He says he can't do anything about my g/friend sitting on the lap because I was wearing a belt, but my mate chimes up, the honest guy that he is, says I wasn't wearing a seatbelt! Lo and behold the officer wrote him a fine! Not to mention we had just dyed this guys hair bright orange and he copped plenty from the cop! :lol:

Can't believe he admitted it! :shock:

Any way, if all the belts are being used then they can't fine any other passengers, 'nuff said! 8)

Yes, everyone needs to be wearing a seatbelt, but having four in the back and 2 sharing one seatbelt is not legal. It is one person per seat belt. Having 2 people share a seatbelt is not safe.

They would not be in a safe position sharing one belt so one or both may get flung out, and also unless both are children, the weight load on the seatbelt would be excessive.

... and cops are sort of funny like that in saying they may let you off.

I had a car that the rego ran out on a day or 2 earlier, but I had never received the renewal from Transport Dept. Anyway, he pulls me over and informs me that I'm driving an unregistered vehcile, but he'll let me off if I renew it that day. I then proceeded to drive to local Rego Office and re-registered the car, only to find a fine in the mail a couple of weeks later.

Wasn't happy.

Back
Top Bottom