FINALS: GAME 1 PORT vs W.COAST

Magicman

Banned User
Real Name
Kyle Redenbach
eBay User
hotshot1717
Well that one is over guys. Port get the win, but the standard of the match was pretty poor. what ya think.

With Kerr, Cousins (Hammy last night) and Judd (still not right) all facing time on the sidelines i think the Eagles might be gone.

Tireless Port secure thrilling victory
By Michael Rogers
with AAP
Friday, 7th September, 2007 11:45:00 pm
PORT Adelaide has booked a week’s rest and a home preliminary final berth with a three-point win against West Coast in the second qualifying final at AAMI Stadium.

The Eagles made the early running and led by as much as 24 points midway through the third term, but Port's tireless running - and an apparent serious hamstring injury to Eagles talisman Ben Cousins - cut the margin and a sterling final term saw Port victorious 9.14 (68) to 9.11 (65) in front of 37,750 fans.

The game exploded into life after a first half that brought just five goals, and the sensation didn’t end with the final siren, with Port coach Mark Williams receiving news that his wife Pauline had delivered the couple's fifth child.

Williams drove straight from the game to hospital to be with his wife.

Peter Burgoyne was clearly best afield in the Power’s memorable win, mopping up in defence and through midfield, and Brendon Lade, Kane Cornes (who did well on Cousins before his injury) and Troy Chaplin offered sturdy support.

Steve Salopek provided a lift for the Power by rebounding from a crunching early bump by Beau Waters to return and kick a key late goal.

The Eagles were led by Matt Priddis, Tyson Stenglein, Waters and Adam Selwood, who did a fine stopping job on Shaun Burgoyne.

Though he was visibly restricted by a groin problem, Chris Judd played a large part in the Eagles' earlier lead by nabbing two goals in as many minutes in the third term.

Aside from Cousins, West Coast has other injury concerns, with defender Brett Jones re-emerging heavily bandaged after receiving an accidental knee to the face from Daniel Motlop.

West Coast had taken a five-point lead into the second half and stretched it to 23 points within the opening five minutes.

After both teams had managed just five goals between them in the first half, the Eagles’ burst came out of the blue.

Mark LeCras started the blitz, before a clearly restricted Judd added two more goals to seemingly blow the game open.

It took the best part of 10 minutes for the Power to muster a reply, which came through the hard-running Peter Burgoyne.

A leg injury that forced ruckman Dean Brogan to limp from the field stifled Port’s bid to overhaul the reigning premier.

Both sides exchanged goals through Mark Seaby and Brett Ebert, before Warren Tredrea added a crucial major from a tight angle to cut the Eagles’ lead to 13 points.

Cousins collapsed in the middle of the ground inside the final minutes of time-on, and Daniel Motlop compounded the Eagles’ misery with a goal after the siren to cut the gap at the last change to seven points.

Brett Ebert and Warren Tredrea both missed shots early in the last term, before Kane Cornes coolly put Port Adelaide in front with a goal from a free kick to send the home crowd into raptures.

Two minutes later, Salopek increased the home side’s lead to seven points after a strong mark.

Port Adelaide had booted the previous five goals at that stage, but Dean Cox took a superbly judged mark and converted from 20m out to cut the margin to a point, 15 minutes into the last quarter.

Young Power forward Justin Westhoff gave his side some breathing space with his first goal, coming from a one-handed grab after a classy pass from Motlop.

With three minutes to go, Matt Rosa cut the margin back to one point from point-blank range after Chad Cornes conceded a 50m penalty in the Eagles’ forward line, but the Power held their nerve to book a home preliminary final.

While Port will enjoy a week’s break, West Coast will now face the winner of the elimination final between Collingwood and the Sydney Swans in a semi-final at Subiaco Oval next weekend.

The Eagles were set back from the start by the late omission of midfielder Chad Fletcher, who was replaced by Mark Nicoski due to a leg problem.

A younger Port line-up appeared better settled by comparison in the first half, yet it was the visitors who started better, controlling the midfield and giving their forward line, spearheaded by Lynch, plenty of opportunities.

But goals proved were scarce as both sides attacked the ball with expected vigour, with forwards at both ends forced wide for opportunities.

Troy Chaplin booted the game’s opening goal for the Power, but Quinten Lynch replied immediately for the Eagles from the restart and Shannon Hurn added another within 90 seconds to put the visitors in front after 10 minutes.

Lynch and Stenglein both missed chances for West Coast, while Danyle Pearce sprayed a running attempt out of bounds on the full, leaving the Eagles with a six-point lead at the first change.

The stalemate continued in the second term, although the Eagles were dominating general play.

Lynch finally broke the drought 10 minutes in with his second goal, while at the other end, Motlop missed badly from 35 metres after a strong mark.

Andrew Embley and Stenglein were influential for the Eagles, with Peter Burgoyne a shining light in the midfield for Port Adelaide.

With five minutes remaining in the term, Shaun Burgoyne made some amends for his quiet first half with a cool conversion after a free kick to help reduce the Eagles’ lead to a goal, despite the visitors’ dominance in the midfield.

Port Adelaide 1.3 2.7 6.9 9.14 (68)
West Coast 2.3 3.6 7.10 9.11 (65)

GOALS
Port Adelaide: Ebert, Salopek, Westhoff, K Cornes, Tredrea, Motlop, P Burgoyne, S Burgoyne, Chaplin
West Coast: Lynch 2, Judd 2, LeCras, Hurn, Seaby, Cox, Rosa

BEST
Port Adelaide: P Burgoyne, Lade, Chaplin, K Cornes, Surjan
West Coast: Priddis, Stenglein, Waters, Hunter, A Selwood

INJURIES
Port Adelaide: Ebert (bruised knee), Brogan (ankle), Wilson (calf)
West Coast: Cousins (hamstring), Fletcher (groin) replaced in selected side by Nicoski, B Jones (face)

Reports: Nil

Umpires: M Vozzo B Rosebury S Ryan

Official crowd: 37,750 at AAMI Stadium

From a prior to the game point of view, not suprised Port won, I tipped them.

From a 24 points down late in the 3rd in a low scoring affair point of view, very suprised and further cements in my head that they could very easily go all the way.

I didn't watch the game last night unfortunately. 12 days straight working and 61 and a half hours work was enough to send me to sleep. Im glad Port have made it this far. Wins a win and it gives us a week off. I hope we don't make it to the GF cos then my parents will want me to go lol. I've already seen a GF win for Port, dun needa see another one :p

I didn't watch the game last night unfortunately. 12 days straight working and 61 and a half hours work was enough to send me to sleep. Im glad Port have made it this far. Wins a win and it gives us a week off. I hope we don't make it to the GF cos then my parents will want me to go lol. I've already seen a GF win for Port, dun needa see another one :p

And here's me willing to camp outside the G for 2 days to get into 1 that melbourne is in...in the future obviously :p

Oh well Benny will definitely need some ICE now....on the hamstring that is.

The Budgies are done for the season IMHO, with likelyhood of no Cousins, Kerr and at best an under-done Judd, the midfield/on-ballers while young and exicting with loads of potential i just can't see them getting past either the Swans or my beloved Maggies next week, even in Perth.

Im not surprised they won, i am surprised at the margin and the way they played. Im not sure whos in their side of the draw? but they will be in massive trouble in the prelim if they play like that

Yeah, get it up the Weagles!!! Was hoping for Port to get up, and damn, what a game! Didnt see the last half, watching a movie, but was so happy to see the results this morning.

:worthy:

Back
Top Bottom