Etiquette/Guidelines for OzCards

jimmy jackson

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Jimmy
Hey guys, here are a few of my thoughts... please feel free to share your own... I also expect that many of you will not agree with some of these..

1. Read trade/sale posts carefully - It is important to take the time to read through the terms specified by another member when they are offering a card for trade or sale. This saves a great deal of time avoids unnecessary angst. For example, if a member has specified that they are only looking to sell, do not offer up trades.

2. Avoid window-shopping - If you have no genuine interest in buying a card, please do not waste the seller's time by sending emails and requesting additional pictures etc. If you simply want to see a member's collection, it is better to be upfront about it. Most members will be happy to scan up their cards when they have the time.

3. Do not post personal information without another's permission - most people do not want their details on the WWW for obvious reasons. It is vital that you respect this.

4. If unsure, check completed items - if unsure about what to offer for a card, check completed items on eBay to get an idea of their going rate. Ideally, you should take an average of the recent sales. Many people will be prepared to sell for slightly cheaper than eBay as they are able to save on fees by dealing directly with you. However, it is blatantly rude to "lowball" another member (e.g., offering A$100 for a card that sells for US$185). Keep in mind that the members who have cards of such value are rather obviously aware of what they go for, so making obscene offers will only result in conflict.

5. Be up front if you cannot complete a deal - obviously it is important that you follow through with any deals that you make. However, life sometimes gets in the way of hobbies, and it is not unusual for things to come up and change your circumstances. Please let the member know as soon as possible so that needless time is not wasted. Most people will be reasonable about it if you are honest and prompt.

6. Be humble - like anything in life, when it comes to trading cards, there will always be someone who has a "better" collection. Please refrain from creating threads to the effect "Why would anyone spend X on a bloody card?". Understand that those collectors can obviously afford it, just as some people buy fancy cars or jewelry. It is offensive to these members to try and make them feel like "fools" or "losers" for spending a lot of money on their hobby. On the other hand, it is likewise rude to make negative comments about a "lessor" collection. Everyone should be able to enjoy this hobby.

7. Scamming is easily detected and not tolerated - if you have come to this forum in the hopes of deceiving other members, you have come to the wrong place. Ozcards has many experienced members who have seen it all before. There are processes/rules in place to protect members such as trader feedback. Other instances of deception (such as posting fake breaks or phantom cards) will also be swiftly detected.

8. Express yourself but be prepared to back your comments- this forum is predominantly adult oriented, meaning that you have the freedom to post your opinions, however controversial they may be and with whatever language you choose to use. However, if you say something that other members find offensive, you may be attack and even ridiculed. The moderators will not help you out. Think before you post and you should have no problems in this area. If you do happen to open up a can of worms (e.g., post a racist comment) but you genuinely feel that you were misinterpreted or make a mistake, the best thing to do is apologise immediately. Most members will respect this and let the issue go.

Very good writeup Wayne. :prayer:

Couldn't disagree with anything.

Someone said as well that when you have cards for sale, it's better if you INCLUDE prices already and don't ask for offers. UNLESS it's a high-end card. That way, people will have an idea how much to offer you.

Thanks man.

POST PHOTOS OF YOUR CARDS FOR SALE : its a good thing to post pics of the cards for sale, and don't ask for people to email you for pics. We have a perfectly good attachment system which will automatically resize your pictures for you (if you don't already know how to use photobucket etc) so there is no excuse. This will also increase your chances of selling your cards.

Giving a good description (year, manufacturer, card name, number) will also help your chances of selling the card, as buyers can do their own investigations as to the market value of the item. Simply posting "Bogut auto #/100 for sale" will help noone, including yourself.

hill33 said:
When we get this finalised, we will sticky them and i'll set the system up to auto PM new users and tell them to read them :)

Great idea Graham....

I hope this thread wasnt spurred by my post yesterday in the "I'm Sexy" thread. I see the thread has now been closed???:confused:

It was pretty much one of the only times i have sworn on this site :mad: and if anyone was offended, i apologize:D

Nice write up Wayno. :)

What about a compulsory intro in the new members forum before selling. That is sort of an unsaid rule but should be enforced.

Great information easy to understand if newbies cant understand and obey them they shouldnt be here great job Wayne!!!:D

Nice cards.
Oops, wrong post.

Great job Wayno, and I like G-Will's suggestion about pics.
Dont think I have anything to add, but if I think of something, I'll PM ya's.

Let's make this #1 Forum for our Hobby!!

very nice wayne, informative and thorough, im sure this (if stickied) will help out all the newbies who join up
well done!!

hill33 said:
When we get this finalised, we will sticky them and i'll set the system up to auto PM new users and tell them to read them :)

Or even make them the conditions new members must agree to before they sign up (eg. conditions of entry :) )

Back
Top Bottom