Concert Review Thread 2007

MetallicA'

Ricky Davis Collector
eBay User
senyac1
CONCERT REVIEW THREAD 2007

Well I have been well and truly blown away at some bands ive seen in the space of 2 days and I thought id would be cool to start a thread where everyone can make their concert reviews heard and tell us all about it.
So firstly:

BIG DAY OUT, GOLD COAST 2007
21 January

Listing all the bands I managed to see at least 2 or more songs from and preety much for the whole set. Also listed in the order I saw the bands in…I’ll try my best to recap most the setlists for u too.

The Butterfly Effect

Lead singer Clint Boge was flying the aussie flag with pride for the start of their set to, A Slow Descent. You can never be disappointed when you go see this hard working aussie band from Brisbane, Australia. They also played Gone, Aisles of White, Reach, Crave, One second of Insanity and Take it Away. I had to leave their set 10 minutes early to make my way into a good position to see Trivium. Seen these guys 4 times and will be seeing them again.
Duration – 45 Minutes
Rating – 7/10

Trivium

Amazing from the smaller stage, these guys produced 40 minutes of about the only band who managed to get everyone rocking, moshing and they also used their powers to open a circle about 15 metres in diameter for the last track Pull Harder on the string of the martyr. They only had a 45 minute set but every minute was brilliant and their set was fautless.
Set List
The End of Everything (opening track)
Entrance of the Conflagration
Detonation
Like Light to the Flies
To The Rats
Master of Puppets
Anthem
A Gunshot to the Head of Trepidation
Pull Harder on the Strings of the Martyr
Duration – 45 Minutes
Rating – 10/10

My Chemical Romance

Crap, Crap and Crap. They take the honor of the worst live band I have ever seen. Thank you for the Venom was the only song that got my head moving but it was still much distorted and the sound was terrible.
Not much of a write up here
Duration – 1 Hour
Rating – 0/10

Eskimo Joe

Great performance and everyone’s savior for playing minutes after shit house My Chemical Romance. They Opened with Sarah which was sick and played all their big hits. Very solid performance and a top aussie band.
Songs I recall –
Sarah
From the Sea
Black Fingernails
Will have to get more of their stuff now, so I can recall some of the songs!
Duration – 1 Hour
Rating – 8/10

John Butler Trio

Well not the biggest fan but he was entertaining, he played all his big hits Better man, Zebra and his new song with the song title eluding me. He can defiantly play that acoustic though that’s for sure.
Duration – 1 Hour
Rating – 5/10

The Killers

Very good band and they probally should of played after Jet but oh well. Playing all their hits from their debut album Hot Fuss including my favourite Killers song I got Soul but im not a Solider. And then a few songs off their new album like When we were young and Bones. They were well worth seeing with great stage presence and musicianship.
Duration – 1 Hour
Rating – 9/10

Jet

Never really been a fan so I wont elaborate to much, but they had their good songs and than just white noise. I would of much preferred seeing Killers in their time slot.
Duration – 1 Hour
Rating – 6/10

MUSE

Muse were the hot news at this years Big Day Out and their reputation as one of the best live bands going around is not wrong. The dudes voice is so unique and awesome that you would pretty much just pay to hear him sing. Only disappointment they didn’t play Mussel Museum. Best live band ive seen that isn’t metal to date, I loved every second of it.
Set List
Time is Running Out
Stockholm syndrome
Hysteria (Best song by them)
New Born
Unintended
Butterflies and Hurricanes
Bliss
Falling Down
And a bit of their new stuff, that is no where as good as the songs above.
Duration – 1 Hour
Rating – 10/10

Tool

To be honest I haven’t heard much of their stuff, just no some of the bigger hits. They have such a big fan base though and getting the nod as the headline act and playing for an hour and a half. Don’t know the titles but I really like Aenima and I swear I heard it twice but that could of just been the 16 beers talking. But to me a lot of their stuff sounds way to similar and they **** around on the guitars way to much.
Duration – 1 Hour 30 Minutes
Rating – 7/10

A good day in all with a 50,000 strong crowd in 32 degree heat. Lots of drinking and hot dog eating made for a memorable festival. It was my first BDO and I will be returning soon.

TRIVIUM AT THE TIVOLI
22 January

Well first up it was the best concert experience I have ever been to surpassing metallica, KSE with Lamb of God and Unearth which I rated so highly. First up I had about 4 drinks befour heading in with 3 mates and I found out just as we were going they weren’t selling alcohol which in the end was a good call because their would have been a lot of bodies on the floor if that was the case. Man o Man I find it very scary that these guys have been labeled the next Metallica, they have 3 albums to their Name, have played to 60,000 crowds and the lead singer is only 20 years of age. These guys are the next big thing in Metal and Hard Rock.

JUPUNGA’
Was the support and if If im correct they hail from WA. I thought they were quite good and was a good band befour the main event. I was hanging back in the bleaches with my mates for this one but I enjoyed their 30-40 minute set.
Rating – 7/10

THAN,

TRIVIUM.

They couldn’t of done a better set, they picked up everything and produced not only the most intense mosh pit I have ever been in but the best concert ive seen live. This time round they had god like music which gave u goosebumps to bring them in and going straight in to Entrance of the Conflagration which was awesome. About the first 5 songs I was so screwed I contemplated leaving the pits it was just that intense and u could hardly lift ya arms at times or even breath. I recall the setlist and wont miss a song but will do it from the albums rather than order.

Ember to Inferno:

Ember to Inferno

Ascendancy:

Like Light to the Flies
Rain
Ascendancy
Drowned and Torn Asunder
A Gunshot to the Head of Trepidation
Dying in Your Arms
Pull Harder on the Strings on the Martyr (Last Song)

The Crusade

Entrance of the Conflagration
Detonation
Ignition
To The Rats
Tread the Floods
Unrepentant (Got me jumping again, invigorated me)
Anthem (WENT OFF)

That’s 17 Songs from a band that has only 3 albums, I was loving it!!
And the coolest thing of all they played 2 of my favourite songs from my favourite 2 bands at the moment.

Master of Puppets of course by Metallica
and...
Walk by Pantera

Faultless covers and their was not one person not singing these classic songs, theirs so many memorys right their. Unreal, first puppets than second last song they come from an encore and play Walk. I was about 3rd row of the pit most the time but pushed back a bit than to the side and I finally found an unreal spot, an elevated platform near the speakers that had me level and within 2 metres from these rock gods. Got the horns from Corey and a cool look from Matt K Heafty. All in all this was the best live thing ive seen and the 1500 strong crowd erupted and provided a very memorable performance for both the fans of Brisbane and the band too. The next Metallica right here.
Duration – 1 Hour 20 Minutes
Rating – 11/10

good thread idea.

Recently I was lucky enough to score tickets to see Evermore perform for the filming of LIVE AT THE CHAPEL.

When we were finally allowed in people were given different things. Some were given wristbands, others were given lanyards. I was told that the paper wristbands given were for the seats at the back, the lanyards were for the VIP (I got a lanyard) & were to be seated on the bean bags at the front!

For about an hour when we arrived drinks and nibbles were provided for free - THANKS VODAPHONE. Mingled around checked out the Prahan court game that was going on, talked to some of the other Punters.

We were given very very BIG warnings about going to toilet - Since it was being filmed you were not able to move around during the show as you'd get in the way of the cameras, so for 90-120 minutes you had to hold it in!

They sung Light Surrounding You three times actually. Once with the normal band gig, the second acoustic, & then the third acoustic again because Dann broke his string on his guitar during the second performance - not like we were complaining at all!!

After the finished it was announced the bar would still be around for another hour & that we were welcome to mingle & that MAYBE the boys will come for a drink. All drinks {including alcohol} were "On Vodaphone" so none of us had to pay which was excellent.

WHAT A NIGHT

My friend and I had an absolute awesome night she is a HUGE Evermore fan, so it was fantastic to be able to take her along.

The guys were great to meet, played an awesome show, Dann was full of beans and all three seemed like fantastic guys when they came out to meet and great

ended up with a signed set list (Dann's) and both our lanyards signed, also my friend had her photo taken sitting at the drumkit

some of our photos are here: (took a few, but too nervous/scared to take many with a bloody big camera on your shoulder - well almost on your shoulder)
Evermore 090107 pictures by billyhoyle9 - Photobucket

man sounded awesome Billy.
Evermore seem to tour alot. But live at the chapel is a cool concept and i wasnt aware that all drinks and nibblies come with the show. Thats awesome work :D

yeah very sponsored event - about an hour before and after the show of drinks and nibbles. WIll post up some picks of my lanyard and setlist when I frame it up properly.

here's a dodgy phone pic of the lanyard showing I was a guest of the band!
image0289il.jpg

great idea for a thread.i will be going to see roger walters from pink floyd next thurday night 1/2/07 at the rod laver arena melbourne.there are ten of us going and we have all put money in and have hired a limo to take us there and bring us home with drinks provide in the limo.i can't wait.i will let you all know how it was
tony :D :D :D

Went to the Tenacious D concert on Friday just gone...it was awesome!!!!
First part was just the 2 of them...then they went to "Hell" and picked up 3 members for a full rock band...the Anti-christ, Colonel Sanders and Charlie Chaplin....the band rocked so hard!!!!
The only problem was Festival Hall has no A/C....the place was like a sauna....or like Jack said like they "really were in Hell"!!

The Killers

Very good band and they probally should of played after Jet but oh well. Playing all their hits from their debut album Hot Fuss including my favourite Killers song I got Soul but im not a Solider. And then a few songs off their new album like When we were young and Bones. They were well worth seeing with great stage presence and musicianship.
Duration – 1 Hour
Rating – 9/10

Thanks for that! the only band I want to see in the lineup this year but not about to pay $115 just to see them. I'll have to wait till they do there own show! They are awesome!

Rose Tattoo - Cant remember the name of the place but it was small and dingy and just across the harbour bridge. It was smokie and sweaty and everything thats rawk n rowl!!!!!!!!!.

Back
Top Bottom