WoobieZarz

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Scotty
eBay User
WoobieZarz
COMC User
WoobieZarz
Just curious, how close to 10's do ya need for a BGS 10?

I hear that I got in the mail today a Harris RC Auto graded 9.5 w/ 10 Auto, and subgrades are 10/9.5/9.5 (EDIT: & 9.5)
Is that like .5 off a 10? Or does it require all 10s?

Just asking cos I'm curious now.

And if they grade something a 9.5 what difference is it between something they've graded 10? There's no where for us to actually see the cards graded is there, only the actual grades??

At lest three 10's it needs. Thats what Ive seen. Never seen a BGS 10 with two subs of 9.5 but I may be wrong.

Makes me feel better, I need 2 .5s more then?? ha ha ha

They pretty tight with grades I think... lol
Dont give away many 10s. Should get GEM to re-grade it, LMFAO!!!!

Tks Chad. Should have just PMd... lol

im inclined to agree i think they just work the final grade on an averages system.

when the averages are split, like in the case of two 10s and two 9.5s, the lower grade is given (ie. 9.5).

yeah, the only BGS 10's i have seen have 3 x 10s and 1 x 9.5.

did anyone see that lebron card on ebay a while ago....dubbed by beckett "the perfect 10"??

i think it was Lebrons Ultimate RC auto and it had 10's across the board with a 10 for the auto too!! first card ever graded by beckett to get all 10's!!
and what a card to do it too!! i think it got up to $4,000 but didnt reach the reserve. i've never seen another card with all 10's since....

btw mavs...i think you're mising a subgrade!?!? you only listed 3 subgrades. isn't there 4 plus the auto grade??

I have always been a bit of a critic of the BGS grading system, and grading overall actually. It just seems another way to suck money from your pocket to me. Anyway, I don't know why they just don't average it out to get a more accurate reading overall of the card.

Say you get 10/9.5/9.5/10

On average, your card is 9.75, yet with the BGS system, it is downgraded to 9.5? Makes no sense, and in my opinion, it would make things clearer for collectors. In order to get a perfect 10, then you should have to get 10/10/10/10. One 9.5 should bring your score down to 9.875. Still a score to be proud of.

HBM said:
I have always been a bit of a critic of the BGS grading system, and grading overall actually. It just seems another way to suck money from your pocket to me. Anyway, I don't know why they just don't average it out to get a more accurate reading overall of the card.

Say you get 10/9.5/9.5/10

On average, your card is 9.75, yet with the BGS system, it is downgraded to 9.5? Makes no sense, and in my opinion, it would make things clearer for collectors. In order to get a perfect 10, then you should have to get 10/10/10/10. One 9.5 should bring your score down to 9.875. Still a score to be proud of.

i can see where you're coming from and what you're saying is true, but getting that in-depth would be going too far. how it is now, is relatively easy to understand. (i think??)

take your example of 10/9.5/9.5/10 reaching a overall of 9.5... compare that to the same card (say for this purpose is a 86 fleer Jordan RC) of a 9.5/9.0/9.5/9.5, it would still be an overall BGS 9.5, but you can bet your money that its retail value will be much higher because of the higher subgrades.
especailly with condition sensitive sets such as the 86 fleer.(centering etc) if a centering subgrade of a BGS 8.5 card is say 9.5 it may well go close to fetching as much money as a BGS 9 card with a centering of only 8.5??

its just an overall averaging system for collectors to know the condition and possible value of their investment??

Back
Top Bottom