Liking the set, nice throwbacks in it

page-02_zps7be6e329.jpg

page-1_zpsda2dc757.jpg

page-2_zpsa846d060.jpg

page-3_zps17385bd6.jpg

page-4_zps41df7359.jpg

page-5_zps1ba57728.jpg

Agreed.

However, with that said - upper deck's designs are still head and shoulders above what panini and leaf are doing. Look at the Letterman release. That looked hot. Just imagine that in NBA color schemes and without the sticker autos!
No arguments here!

Agreed.

However, with that said - upper deck's designs are still head and shoulders above what panini and leaf are doing. Look at the Letterman release. That looked hot. Just imagine that in NBA color schemes and without the sticker autos!

At leas we're not getting fake jerseys, fake diamonds and suspect autos with UD.

I think this product has now been released, seen someone on Facebook with boxes of the product.

I agree with the comment about UD cards being superior quality to the crap Panini is putting out.

Ultimately, Panini would probably be better off cutting their product line to 6-8 products and putting some serious attention in to those. Right now they seem to have 20-25 products every year, and all but about 5-6 of them are half-arsed.

At least with Upper Deck their products all have something a bit unique to them. These SPx cards have a pretty unique design compared to the current market, and the new SP Authentic also look unique enough. Same can be said for the 13/14 Exquisite, the Lettermen and their previous gen products (like All-Time greats and Black).

I think we'd all agree that UD's approach to old-school (Fleer Retro) has been far more successful than Panini's (Timeles Treasures / Past & Present).

UD seem to do change their designs just enough from year to year to keep their products looking fresh, while still keeping them looking distinctly UD.

Panini on the other hand just don't vary enough. How hard do you need to look to pick the difference between 13/14 Innovation ad 12/13 Innovation? Or 13/14 National Treasures vs 12/13 National Treasures? Or 13/14 Gold Standard vs 12/13 Gold Standard? Ditto Preferred, Court Kings, Intrigue, etc. They do some original from time to time, but it's not often.

Almost everyone preferred NBA jerseys to College jerseys, but regardless of this I still find that 70% of the modern products I buy are UD. Looking at those same college jerseys still doesn't get as boring as looking at the same old card designs year by year by year.

Sticker Autos :thumbsdown:
This is true, but it's kinda hard to complain about that at this price point.

What products are there on the market which DON'T have any sticker autos? As far as I know Exquisite, All-Time Greats, Flawless and Paramount are about the only only ones I know of...and those boxes are all priced >$25/card. With SPx boxes priced at around $2.50 per card, some sticker auto's would be expected I guess.

This is true, but it's kinda hard to complain about that at this price point.

What products are there on the market which DON'T have any sticker autos? As far as I know Exquisite, All-Time Greats, Flawless and Paramount are about the only only ones I know of...and those boxes are all priced >$25/card. With SPx boxes priced at around $2.50 per card, some sticker auto's would be expected I guess.
I know, just can't get excited for sticker autos.

I know, just can't get excited for sticker autos.

I know, I feel you on that!!

Every time I pull a nice auto I get excited, then I see the sticker and can't help but let out a sigh. Don't know why they bother with sticker auto's to be honest. They may as well just do printed autographs on those cards, and save the on-card autos for the actual auto cards! The introduction of sticker autos just means that now you have 10x as many autos, which in turn drops the value and rarity of every signed card. Man I remember the old days in the early 90's when ANY card with an autograph was exciting - even if it was some nobody end of bench player.

Btw sweet cards in you sig!!! Absolutely love the pre-college UD Black cards - I honestly think they are among the most stunning card designs ever. :)

Back
Top Bottom