XBOX One and PS4

Cobretti

Fleer Collector
Real Name
Dominik
I thought I would inform everyone that the next generation consoles are coming from Microsoft and Sony.

Now for those seriously considered a new xbox, forget it as there is will be DRM.

All this means is:
1. need to be online to verify your console once every 24hours.
2. can't play used games.

PS4 is also rumored to have some form.

My advice is hold out for a few months till we know exactly what is going on.

Atm PS4 is looking like the best option to get, which is probably fine as most Aussies favour playstation.

xbox one just isnt an option from what ive seen of the E3. i always had playstation anyway but now there is no way id even consider a change

xbox one just isnt an option from what ive seen of the E3. i always had playstation anyway but now there is no way id even consider a change

i ued to get all consoles because lets face it as a gamer I like games lol.

But I agree with E3 over I am skeptical on xbox one.

Especially hearing rumors that their are hardware issues (rumors only atm but knowing xbox past record with RROD i think it is a safe bet the rumors are plausible).

Microsoft are playing the long game and there is going to be some initial pain, as they are essentially trying to move to a Steam-like digital delivery service. So while everyone is looking at the negatives, the positive is that in the longer run game prices for XBOX One will fall to Steam level prices, you'll move to a disc-less library and you can access that library from anywhere.

People flipping out about 24 hour check-ins really confounds me, we are so connected these days. If we don't have an ADSL or WiFi network nearby we have 3G/4G mobile phones to fall back on. So I personally don't see it as big a problem as some make it out to be. I still had internet through a Cat5 cyclone!

Used games can be played, but they are restricting who can deal in used games, and its likely you'll have to pay for an online pass, much like EA introduced. There is no sharing of physical discs, but you can allow up to 10 people access to your own game library.

Microsoft revealed their hand early, so I do wonder how much Sony changed their philosophy with the PS4 prior to E3. The PS4 system itself has no DRM beyond the normal user account, and they've stated that they wont apply DRM to first party published games, however that won't be enforced upon third party published games. If EA or Ubisoft release a game that requires a permanent connection, or a check-in, with their servers, its likely to be a feature on both systems.

Personally myself I'm taking the wait & see approach. I've found as I've gotten older, video games interest me less and less, especially with the heavy handed obsession with story and emotions, over actual systemic design. I think the only games I've played in the last 6-8 months have been NHL 13, UFC Undisputed 3 and Grand Prix Legends. In a perfect world EA Sports games would be on PC and I wouldn't bother with either console.

That said I do find the XBOX One more intriguing, a lot of people are scoffing at it like Microsoft is on crazy pills, but this company is not stupid, this is a calculated risk to win publisher support, in the same way Blu-ray included a raft of DRM systems and region locking to win movie studio support over HD DVD. The PS4 is maintaining the status quo, essentially being an upgrrade for more of the same, and this is an easy sale because people don't like change. Microsoft are trying to take the next step in creating a device as essential for home entertainment as a TV.
Especially hearing rumors that their are hardware issues

Only issues I've heard is that the demo units at E3 were actually Windows 7 boxes :rofl:

I've always been a Microsoft console loyalist, but I seriously doubt I'll be getting an Xbox One.

As well as not allowing you to buy used games without paying again (which potentially breaches doctrine of first
sale retail rules), some of the drachonian DRM constraints are starting to come out.

And hows the latest revelations today? VERY narrow banded regional coding in the EU:
http://boingboing.net/2013/06/15/xbox-one-will-divide-eu-into-d.html
"Notably this "region coding" splits up the EU - most countries are in but some are out - and it also excludes Poland, the development home of The Witcher game series, a title Microsoft touted in its E3 launch presentation. Yes, that's right, the developers of this Xbox launch title will not be able to play the game they developed."

The 'always on' stipend is also a worry. What happens to those people with limited or prohibitively expensive access to internet?

I will reserve my judgement on both consoles until they are in launch phase, when all the hidden nasties are fully revealed

My main issue is this. I buy all my games on DISC cause i like to collect them.

My Atari 2600 i can play to this day. What will happen to my physical game library when xbox two (assuming they follow that logic) comes out and the services for xbox one come out.

I have no issue with steam like service but with steam I can play my games on any PC i wish, so if i upgrade steam just goes with it.

Consoles generally have POOR backwards compatibility because they change architecture to much. If xbox eventually becomes a service like steam that i can use till the day i die, I will embrace it.

Interesting was originally ps1 and ps2 then jumped to Xbox 360 very undecided at this time, always online isn't an issue I have unlimited download wifi at my place with very fast net considering I use it everyday for work (graphic designer) I'm confident that's not my issue, but as far as performance goes is the ps4 better or similar most likely will stick with Xbox one but still open to be persuaded of the argument is good :p

My main issue is this. I buy all my games on DISC cause i like to collect them.

My Atari 2600 i can play to this day. What will happen to my physical game library when xbox two (assuming they follow that logic) comes out and the services for xbox one come out.

I have no issue with steam like service but with steam I can play my games on any PC i wish, so if i upgrade steam just goes with it.

Consoles generally have POOR backwards compatibility because they change architecture to much. If xbox eventually becomes a service like steam that i can use till the day i die, I will embrace it.

Yeah I can see your point, I was always someone who simply preferred to own physical copies of games, movies and music (Cyclone Yasi changed that mindset!). There is was always going to be a lot of questions, a lot of this info is barely a week old, but I can see what Microsoft is trying to achieve here.

The 'always on' stipend is also a worry. What happens to those people with limited or prohibitively expensive access to internet?

It's not a permanent connection, the console requires you to have logged within a 24 hour period to play a game, so we're only talking kbs of data. That said, its entirely possible this policy will be scrapped or the window extended.

The XBOX One is a console that is as much reliant on a power source as it is the internet, this is why Mattrick flippantly says that if you have zero (or limited) internet, don't get an XBOX One.

Interesting was originally ps1 and ps2 then jumped to Xbox 360 very undecided at this time, always online isn't an issue I have unlimited download wifi at my place with very fast net considering I use it everyday for work (graphic designer) I'm confident that's not my issue, but as far as performance goes is the ps4 better or similar most likely will stick with Xbox one but still open to be persuaded of the argument is good :p

Few specs comparisons I read gave the hardware edge to the PS4.

But that was the case for the PS3 as well, but many developers couldn't get their head around getting the best out of the architecture and simply ported across from the XBOX 360.

Being that I'm a big time Microsoft hater I havent and probably never will buy a Xbox. PS4 is on pre order.

ive generally been an xbox man.. i have a 360 and a ps3 currently.

i dont have issues witht the 24hr connection. generally most have internet access.
not too sure about the DRM though..

as a few have said will be playing the waiting game.
i have preordered the xbox in a 'just-in-case' scenerio as it will be very limited on release.
can always cancel the preorder..

I have a 360 now, but if the X one doesnt allow used games anymore i will definitely not buy it.
When i buy a game and am done with it, i want to decide what to do with it and DONT want Microsoft to decide for me by not allowing me to sell it to someone else.
Plus our game shop thrives on used games, i think its about 50% of their business, and they give me great deals with used games.
For instance whenever a new FIFA Football game comes out i can turn in 2 used games and pay only half ($35-40) instead of the regular ($80-85) release price.

Because of my work schedule there a sometimes weeks that i dont touch my 360, so if Microsoft wants me to startup the console and connect every day, sorry no cant do and i will pass on your X One.

At this point i feel Playstation has a great chance of winning me over as a new customer should they decide not to enforce those same rediculous restrictions.

I have a 360 now, but if the X one doesnt allow used games anymore i will definitely not buy it.
When i buy a game and am done with it, i want to decide what to do with it and DONT want Microsoft to decide for me by not allowing me to sell it to someone else.
Plus our game shop thrives on used games, i think its about 50% of their business, and they give me great deals with used games.
For instance whenever a new FIFA Football game comes out i can turn in 2 used games and pay only half ($35-40) instead of the regular ($80-85) release price.

The whole used games thing is about as clear as mud at the moment. From what I've gathered, you can still trade in games but only to designated retailers. This will be tricky to implement once they start dealing with consumer laws in different countries.

Bear in mind also, that all this talk about used games, trade ins, rentals and sharing, only applies to first party published games. Third party developers like EA and Ubisoft are apparently free to implement whatever policies they wish.

Because of my work schedule there a sometimes weeks that i dont touch my 360, so if Microsoft wants me to startup the console and connect every day, sorry no cant do and i will pass on your X One.

You don't have to log in up every day, but if you haven't logged in to Live for more than 24 hours, then you will have to log into Live before playing any game - single or multiplayer. I see it as a bit of a non-issue, if you have your 360 permanently connected to the internet, it logs in automatically anyway. Apparently the XBOX One will automatically "check-in" if its in standby mode as well.

fwiw worth an anonymous XBOX engineer posted on another forum, a point by point breakdown on the rationale behind some of the features they're implementing (and be warned his language gets a little blue from time to time)

http://www.neowin.net/news/anonymous-xbox-engineer-explains-drm-and-microsofts-xbox-one-intentions

Even someone working internally on the console doesn't agree with the 24 hour check in policy, and expects (hopes) it changes after the negative reaction at E3.

EDIT: another move that may possibly have a hard time getting past ACCC, if your Live account is banned then you also lose all your licensed content. ie you can't create a new account and transfer your licenses, everything you have paid for is gone unless you can get that account unbanned.

I htink I will be stickign with my 360 and ps3... I can see what Xbox one is trying to do.... but given I am someone who won't play my xbox for weeks at a time (like right now I am on a PS3 2k12 MLB rampage) the 24 hour thing.... just won't happen... and then.... if what I read from the xbox engineer is correct.... that game is perm unplayable... so while I kind of like the direction, the current terms are way too stringent... I can respect what they are trying to do but given my main gaming is PC and forever and always will be.... thats just too stringent for me. Bring on BAttlefield 4 anyway.... no console game will get a look in for 6 months once that drops anyway.

I have began to save up for a PS4, Assassins Creed: Black Flag and NBA 2k14! I should hopefully have enough by the time they get released around November (if I don't get tempted by cards) :p I have had my Xbox 360 for the last year or so and loved it but the Xbox One doesn't look great to me. There is still plenty of information still to be released so you never know though! After previously owning a PS1 and PS2 and playing Crash Bandicoot 24/7 when I was little, I can't wait for the PS4 after finding out you can download and play ANY Playstation game ever! I'm not 100% sure whether this is true though, can anyone confirm? Would be awesome to play games like Crash again :)

Back
Top Bottom