Would you like to see Checklists and Promo's before a new release ?

Would you like to see Checklists and Promo's before a new release ?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
it would be an asset to the collector but maybe not to the seller.
i voted yes (NBA collector who likes to purchase into group breaks that are normally sold out before release dates! especially the big releases).

it would be an asset to the collector but maybe not to the seller.
i voted yes (NBA collector who likes to purchase into group breaks that are normally sold out before release dates! especially the big releases).

I understand the perceived negative as a seller......cost / time and resources.

However it could easily be turned into a positive as it would enable them to create a database of active collectors, businesses pay a fortune to gather this kind of information as nothing increases profits more than direct targeted marketing, it could also be a way to receive feedback to improve the product.

To overcome the cost factor I'm sure most would be willing to pay a small fee for advance promos and checklists or at least be willing to cover postage.

Thanks for the feedback

Ross

I understand the perceived negative as a seller......cost / time and resources.

However it could easily be turned into a positive as it would enable them to create a database of active collectors, businesses pay a fortune to gather this kind of information as nothing increases profits more than direct targeted marketing, it could also be a way to receive feedback to improve the product.

To overcome the cost factor I'm sure most would be willing to pay a small fee for advance promos and checklists or at least be willing to cover postage.

Thanks for the feedback

Ross

Great idea bring back the promos!! It would be great day you pay $2 a year or release for a subscription and it gets your flyer and promos and maybe some email updates?

They don't even need to physically mail a sell sheet.

You'd just need an email with it attached.

Seriously, how hard is it? I've done absolutely no marketing, but I could build a mailing list and supply information to interested parties better than ESP, the NRL and the clubs combined.

They don't even need to physically mail a sell sheet.

You'd just need an email with it attached.

Seriously, how hard is it? I've done absolutely no marketing, but I could build a mailing list and supply information to interested parties better than ESP, the NRL and the clubs combined.

Hey Chris.

I love your enthusiasm and agree a simple email from ESP would be a good starting point...... but I think you answered your own question when you say you've done absolutely no marketing? ;)

To start with what CRM system would you choose? What direct mailing company? What content will drive increased sales etc etc.Creating a mailing list is simple but you want to be able to quantify results and grow your business as an end result.

Also I would say the clubs do an excellent job, well the Dragons do anyway and I would expect lots of others as well, I get digital content in at least 3 forms and can opt in for printed content as well. Currently to me they provide, Weekly Members first emails, including coach and player interviews, community information, match day information and match highlights from NRL to junior reps etc etc. The NRL also bombard me with "targeted" digital content via "inside pass" which is also excellent. It makes me ask are you a club member or have you signed up with the NRL because my experience of what they offer seems vastly different than yours?

Anyway the above ramble is too much like work for me in essence we agree; ESP as a company could do it better by simply doing something / anything......please do something as the current attitude is no growing the love for collecting.

Cheers
Ross

How is it not an asset to a seller, unless they are producing garbage releases!!

Why can't they put a few promos and a flyer in magazines like we use to get. Get interest circulating about a month out. Rugby League Week maybe!!!!!
Surely this advertising would boost sales.

Car
How is it not an asset to a seller, unless they are producing garbage releases!!

Why can't they put a few promos and a flyer in magazines like we use to get. Get interest circulating about a month out. Rugby League Week maybe!!!!!
Surely this advertising would boost sales.

Careful what you wish for about the magazines. I like the idea as long as they do it properly.

Remember the debacle of the 2014 power play parallels or promos in the rugby league week, where they advertised there would be parallels and their wasnt any except the rugby league week had one parallel per magazine then esp kept denying that these cards even existed and to this day they don't seem to of surfaced other then the few who got some from rugby league week (most prob ended up binned by non collectors). These cards are worse then the 1994 double promos to track down of what is out there let alone actually finding them for your collection, because there is no records. I think the only reason there wasn't more of an outcry about this was the fact they were parallels and everyone seems to hate parallels.

The reason why the mailout promos don't happen (aside from select) is more than likely a cost and resources thing. Companies put their marketing spend into other areas (promotions/sponsoring shows/give aways etc)

I wouldn't be far off the mark saying that some companies believe you are going to buy the product anyway, so why incur an extra cost they don't need to.

I do agree that the card images should be out in advance (social media/message boards are great for this) so at least people will know what they are buying.

Cheers
Matt

They shouldn't guarantee anything in a promo pack. Maybe one or two random cards, just to fuel interest.

If they get binned, they get binned!! We can't control what other collectors do. I have no interest in promos other than a sneak peak at what I might be out laying money for.

I like that they are showing images of signings, but that should be happening a month earlier. It looks like theyre only releasing images now, because of all the negativity on the release thread.

Companies like rittenhouse and panini show pictures of cards months out from release, sometimes signed, sometimes as blanks. Why can't this mob? If they are quality players and great looking products, than this will have to generate interest/sales.

If companies are having the attitude "why bother, they'll buy it anyway", well they are wrong!! I was prepared to buy 3 cases (so close to 5 grands worth), but I won't be touching this rubbish, and I'm definitely not the only one. One guy said he brought nearly 10 cases worth last year, but won't be buying this year. Their attitude to collectors is hurting them.

I like that they are showing images of signings, but that should be happening a month earlier. It looks like theyre only releasing images now, because of all the negativity on the release thread.

Companies like rittenhouse and panini show pictures of cards months out from release, sometimes signed, sometimes as blanks. Why can't this mob? If they are quality players and great looking products, than this will have to generate interest/sales.

If companies are having the attitude "why bother, they'll buy it anyway", well they are wrong!! I was prepared to buy 3 cases (so close to 5 grands worth), but I won't be touching this rubbish, and I'm definitely not the only one. One guy said he brought nearly 10 cases worth last year, but won't be buying this year. Their attitude to collectors is hurting them.

100% Agree with you.

Emailing a sell sheet costs nothing. However, if the product isn't to wanted standard, that'll cost ESP with early release of sell sheet.

Cards that might be the huge draw.. Shown less than... Might deter buyers.

Also. A sell sheet should show ALL CARDS with different teams. No need to see two different inserts both with broncos. And no raiders inserts.

M

Maybe the cards wernt signed a month ago so they couldnt release images?

Im sure this product isn't designed a week before release. They could show unsigned blanks like other card companies do. Production mock ups etc., and then as soon as the cards are signed, show a finished version. There are plenty of ways to create interest and look after collectors. ESP choose to do none of them!!!

Hey Chris.

I love your enthusiasm and agree a simple email from ESP would be a good starting point...... but I think you answered your own question when you say you've done absolutely no marketing? ;)

To start with what CRM system would you choose? What direct mailing company? What content will drive increased sales etc etc.Creating a mailing list is simple but you want to be able to quantify results and grow your business as an end result.

Also I would say the clubs do an excellent job, well the Dragons do anyway and I would expect lots of others as well, I get digital content in at least 3 forms and can opt in for printed content as well. Currently to me they provide, Weekly Members first emails, including coach and player interviews, community information, match day information and match highlights from NRL to junior reps etc etc. The NRL also bombard me with "targeted" digital content via "inside pass" which is also excellent. It makes me ask are you a club member or have you signed up with the NRL because my experience of what they offer seems vastly different than yours?

Anyway the above ramble is too much like work for me in essence we agree; ESP as a company could do it better by simply doing something / anything......please do something as the current attitude is no growing the love for collecting.

Cheers
Ross

In my experience, Souths do have awesome connection with their members via many facets of electronic media and the NRL is improving with theirs. So I may have been disingenuous there.

But marketing AND licensing let them (the code) down in a lot of other ways. I know many companies who have had licensing deals for great product with the NRL only for it to fall over because of the $$$ involved and the NRL's head in the sand OR them wanting massive dollars.

Anyway. I don't know how it hurts signing up your member base and emailing them a sell sheet. I've always been from the "build it and they will come" school of thought.

The reason why the mailout promos don't happen (aside from select) is more than likely a cost and resources thing. Companies put their marketing spend into other areas (promotions/sponsoring shows/give aways etc)

I wouldn't be far off the mark saying that some companies believe you are going to buy the product anyway, so why incur an extra cost they don't need to.

I certainly don't know what some companies do in way of marketing but I can safely say they are not reaching or satisfying all of their market and certainly not pro-actively attracting new customers.

I don't particularly call giving product away that you cant sell a great promotion.

I don't particularly call sponsoring shows attended by people who will buy the product regardless a way to grow your business.

It's this disregard for the end consumer " they are going to buy it regardless" that in the end has the potential to bring a business to its knees, yes Elite may sell out (questionable) but the same can't be said for the 100 and 1000s of unsold boxes with the Traders and PP releases. I would also doubt that the re-sellers are content with the marketing put into the premium releases by ESP as how can they promote something they don't know and as I understand it they have a no return policy. As a re-seller I wouldn't invest in something unknown. The product may in the end sell itself and lets hope so but the hobby needs to be nurtured and grown.

Anyway the way the poll is heading shows that there is certainly a want for more pre-sale information.

Ross

I do like the option of releasing into Rugby League Week and the like that hits a target audience.

Just another thought. ESP have obviously had the 4 jerseys for quite a while. They could've had a pic of the whole jersey with a cryptic little statement like "ooooh, look what we've just picked up from the semi's". This would've created excitement.

Now I'm sure ESP would be following some of these threads, so why not make an account and occasionally update your buyers directly. This is one of the threads that Tom from Breygent has done. He does it for most releases. I've never brought any of their stuff, but the interaction with collectors is so awesome.

http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/non-sports/625275-bates-motel.html

Back
Top Bottom